Thread: Heroic Elegon

Heroic Elegon

I'm just about to try out this encounter and wanted some tips/advice for Assassination uptime and talents for this fight to maximise output throughout.

To start with, is Elusiveness pretty much the talent to go with so you can stay inside the damage buff during sparks longer? How many stacks can you effectively take if so before it mostly becomes too much?

Secondly to further on the sparks phase. Pretty much I've always kept rupture going on Elegon, but is it worth rupturing the sparks, or doing small envenoms just to keep slice rolling when redirect is on cooldown? I mostly find they die at barely 2 or 3 cp's at most.

ShS is a must for uptime on this encounter. I would use the Sprint glyph for uptime too.

I run Elusiveness and Feint glyph. For the Charges, I just run out to reset every 2-3 sets because ShS is up by then. I don't know exactly how many stacks that is, but it's probably ~12 and I could stay in for more without much issue.

I keep Rupture on Elegon when I can. After the 3rd set, I usually can't keep it on the boss though. Rupture is not worth using on Charges. I just try to have full energy and a Blindside for the charges. Redirect is pretty sick too if you have some extra CPs. On heroic, I would go for 3-4CP Envs. 5CP usually leaves some time on your Env buff that's just wasted.

I went Combat (dual fist weapon) for the fight because I've got a heroic Gara'kal but no 502 offhand (yet).

The only time to be using Feint is the bursts of AoE before Total Annihilation, and in case you haven't reset your stacks on the Orb phase. As a result, I went Leeching since (when combined with Feint and Killing Spree) it turns Killing Spree into a strong self-heal during the Final Burn.
    Assassination doesn't have a burst cooldown like that, so it might be stronger to do Elusiveness.
    Carp - Illidan-US
    I wish I wish I was a fish.
    My rogue

Deleted
    Can I just ask why you reset stacks on heroic? I run upto 30 without a problem, the debuff increases damage taken per stack by 5% ... there is no damage on the inside of the platform. If you are unsure on your dps and fear the add might do an AoE pulse inside by mistake, then reset but if you are confident your ranged aren't morons then there's no need to reset pre spark phase. I reset just before my first spark dies because it does AoE damage therefore not resetting will kill you. I also reset every spark thereafter and then just repeat P1 after the sparks.

Simples.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutix View Post
    Can I just ask why you reset stacks on heroic? I run upto 30 without a problem, the debuff increases damage taken per stack by 5% ... there is no damage on the inside of the platform. If you are unsure on your dps and fear the add might do an AoE pulse inside by mistake, then reset but if you are confident your ranged aren't morons then there's no need to reset pre spark phase. I reset just before my first spark dies because it does AoE damage therefore not resetting will kill you. I also reset every spark thereafter and then just repeat P1 after the sparks.

Simples.
    The Protectors do a random single target hit too. It's an RNG 1-shot at high stacks. Also, do you not attack Protectors? Since you don't reset in p1, I assume you don't since it's extremely easy to reset stacks if you do. Your uptime doesn't really suffer if you have ShS and you should reset for that random hit anyways. On heroic, my guild has me go outside to help finish off the Protector too so ranged can easily stay in the jump reset spot.

I wouldn't reset for every wave of Charges in p2 unless it takes you a looong time to kill your Charge (thus, you'll be close to the outside anyways). Feint is pretty sick here and will give you a lot more uptime on the boss if you use it to sit at high stacks.

Deleted
    Its a DPS loss for Assassination to swap I assume? So I don't. And It's a DPS loss for melee to soak AoE outside so I don't. It's not my wanting to so I do higher DPS for myself, it's for raid DPS and that's just the way we do things. I use prep also because I hate the way ShS ports to the boss / adds on that fight.

I've never been hit by that random protector add, and I don't think any other melee has either so.. I didn't even know there was an RNG chance for that to happen.

Yea I wasn't 100% sure if feint would save me (assumed it would but meh I just reset anyways) I'll not reset every charge next time, thanks.

If you're playing Assassination, Shadowstep might not be stronger than Sprint/Prep. For Combat, Shadowstep is easily the strongest of the 3 choices because you WILL have Sprint up every time you need to reset stacks (even if you're doing it after every Annihilation).
    If you're resetting stacks as Assassination, I'd still recommend ShS if only because it reduces downtime in the first 100-85% phase. (if you're only resetting stacks once)
    Carp - Illidan-US
    I wish I wish I was a fish.
    My rogue

Deleted
    I play assassination, and i soak the first annihilation. I only reset stacks then and when sparks starts to come, and sprint is up for those times so i suggest you should use shs for coming back to boss directly after resetting stacks. And there is no need to reset stacks at sparks, they deal very low damage anyway and i am up to 30 stacks while our other dps gets lower than me.

Thanks for all the tips, managed to get em' down no problem. I wasn't resetting stacks during P1 at all, it was mainly PS2 I was a little unsure about much you could take and when to feint without wasting too much energy as pylon sparks take prio. I dipped in and out around every 2nd or 3rd wave whenever Shs came off cd, but timing feint was close shave at times when those sparks blow up while putting maximum output into the sparks getting to the last two waves.