1. #1

    3 weeks to play MoP....is it enough/worth it?

    So Christmas break is coming up for me, which means I'll have some free time to play some games instead of studying. I am debating whether or not to purchase MoP and try it out over the break. I have played WoW since BC and MoP is the only expansion I haven't purchased at launch, mainly because of school responsibilities.

    My question for you fellow MMOC people is this: if I have a couple of hours to play a day for 3 weeks, is that enough to experience the grandeur of MoP? I'm talking leveling my two mains, experiencing some dungeons, playing some PvP, etc. I'm a pretty casual player, but when I do play I move fast.

    Is it worth it? To those of you who have played, how long did it take you before you felt you had experienced the x-pac? I will maybe buy it in the summer, but I can't be sure....this might be my last chance to experience MoP.

  2. #2
    Pandaren Monk Of-the-horde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Reading lots of Mangas.
    Posts
    1,851
    To be honest 3 weeks isnt enough to experience everything, there is just too much content especially if you are limited with a few hours a day playtime.
    This coming also from a casual that has to study a lot. Save it till summer imo.
    Last edited by Of-the-horde; 2012-11-19 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Corrected some spelling issues.

  3. #3
    3 weeks is plenty of time to see nearly all of the content if you play a few hours a day. The game is really easy now. You could do all of the heroic dungeons and even do the first raid Mogu'shan Vaults via LFR. The only things you would miss are daily quest rep grinds and the highest tiers of raiding.

  4. #4
    Brewmaster Banzhe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    1,348
    A couple of hours per day will get you a long way if you have sort of idea of what you want to go for, and especially if you have just any sort of structure in your game time (Not just wandering blindly about doing whatever you happen to come across)

    Then again, it also depends if you really want to emerge into lore etc while leveling, the experience might still be worth it though.., and if nothing else you'll get a taste of something that'll still be there when your next holiday comes about

  5. #5
    3 weeks is not enough to get past the grind, which is not fun at all.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Illiterate View Post
    3 weeks is not enough to get past the grind, which is not fun at all.
    How long would you say that this grind is?

  7. #7
    Free Food!?!?! Tziva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    WHEREVER I WANT AINT NO ONE GONNA DO NOTHIN ABOUT IT IMMA T-REX
    Posts
    10,455
    A few hours a day for three weeks is plenty of time to enjoy the expansion. There is a TON to do this time around (some argue too much) but you can still easily level, quest, do dungeons, explore, and even LFR in that time. There's lots of fun little things to do, like the Loremasters stuff, or rare hunting, etc.

    Obviously you won't have time to finish reptuations, but I wouldn't even recommend wasting your limited playtime on rep grinds anyway given that you're a casual player with not at lot of free time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Illiterate View Post
    3 weeks is not enough to get past the grind, which is not fun at all.
    At the risk of beating a dead horse, "the grind" is not mandatory, not a rush to complete the second you hit the cap, and not something a player who just wants to enjoy the game casually for a few weeks should even concern himself with.
    AbathurSnuggles: Blizzard Alpha Videos

    For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaDarsithisRaduxArleeSimcaElysiaZaelsino

  8. #8
    3 weeks is enough time to get an 85 to 90 and see most of the quest content. At about 3 hours a day, it'll take you most of the first week.

    If you have a tank or healer it's enough time to kit yourself up in heroic dungeon blues, which will let you get into an MSV LFR. And it's certainly enough time to see all the scenarios.

    You'd probably also be able to get a suit of crafted pvp armor and do some entry level pvp also.

    So it's enough time to get through most of the new material. If you have mad AH skillz and decent drop luck you may even be able to get your ilvl up to 470 and see the Heart of Fear and Terrace by the end of that journey.

    I'd say go for it. It's an excellent expansion. And if you're not interested in progression raiding, don't do any dailies unless you find them particularly fascinating.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninotchka View Post
    3 weeks is enough time to get an 85 to 90 and see most of the quest content. At about 3 hours a day, it'll take you most of the first week.

    If you have a tank or healer it's enough time to kit yourself up in heroic dungeon blues, which will let you get into an MSV LFR. And it's certainly enough time to see all the scenarios.

    You'd probably also be able to get a suit of crafted pvp armor and do some entry level pvp also.

    So it's enough time to get through most of the new material. If you have mad AH skillz and decent drop luck you may even be able to get your ilvl up to 470 and see the Heart of Fear and Terrace by the end of that journey.

    I'd say go for it. It's an excellent expansion. And if you're not interested in progression raiding, don't do any dailies unless you find them particularly fascinating.
    Thanks for the post. This sums it up in a very useful way.


    I'm in the same boat as OP, lots of free time during holidays and in searching for a game. I haven't bought mop yet and I bs'ed the game and pandas on these forums for long time. Nevertheless, I miss wow and I may give mop a try.

  10. #10
    The Lightbringer Ermahgerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    3,248
    Coming from someone who is almost exalted with all of the reputations (except wrathion and august celestial), having done one raid (im not into raids, mind you and played as a boring healing class; the monk) and done some PvP, everything as Monk I gotta say that I'm already bored. Besides the dailies IDK what to do in-game anymore. I've maxed archaeology on 3-4 classes, made probably 9~ alts in total.

    I'll most likely enjoy raiding more if I get the chance to play as my favourite class and role. I WANT TO DPS AS DRUID

    Edit: Oh and the HCs are actually quite boring compared to cata HCs IMO. I mean... they're really damn easy :/

  11. #11
    You'll be able to see a good chunk of everything...but I would never pick up an MMO only to play it for a few weeks in any situation.You'll probably be able to get at least one of those toons into LFR and be able to "raid casually" and see the content, but if you're looking for any type of challenge within the game, you're going to be disappointed until you start raiding with your friends/guildies. If I were in your shoes I would just pick up a couple console games or something. Getting into an MMO takes longer than 3 weeks unless you're grinding your ass off.

  12. #12
    Mechagnome Eruionmel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Washington, USA
    Posts
    705
    I don't think the question should be whether you can experience it all, but whether you can quit again after getting that taste. If you can, go for it. It certainly can't hurt. If you can't, DO NOT do it. School always needs to come before WoW.
    | <Been There Downed That> - Exodar US - US 27th 16/16H |

    | PM Signature Requests: Closed | My Work | Signature Tutorial |

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Regalbeast View Post
    So Christmas break is coming up for me, which means I'll have some free time to play some games instead of studying. I am debating whether or not to purchase MoP and try it out over the break. I have played WoW since BC and MoP is the only expansion I haven't purchased at launch, mainly because of school responsibilities.

    My question for you fellow MMOC people is this: if I have a couple of hours to play a day for 3 weeks, is that enough to experience the grandeur of MoP? I'm talking leveling my two mains, experiencing some dungeons, playing some PvP, etc. I'm a pretty casual player, but when I do play I move fast.

    Is it worth it? To those of you who have played, how long did it take you before you felt you had experienced the x-pac? I will maybe buy it in the summer, but I can't be sure....this might be my last chance to experience MoP.
    Well depending on how much you plan on playing a day I would say 3 weeks should be enough to see everything you want in MoP. I saw everything I wanted to see in 3 days and quit the game.

    Well when I am saying experience, I include a lot of simply LFR and not actual raiding. But it shouldn't take you long enough to get to 90. Then you can experience some pet battles in between. However, dailies are a different story all together as they take a really long time to get any kind of progression but you can certainly see everything you want to though in 3 weeks time but don't really expect to be fully geared or anything close to that.

    But it is still plenty of time to level, check out pet battles, do some PVP at level 90, heroic dungeons, LFR raids, dailies, scenarios, challenge mode and some dailies. There are also going to be the Winter Veil dailies and events.

    However, if I can suggest something, I recommend you stay away from it cause you really ain't missing anything. Quite frankly if you have played through TBC and WTLK you have pretty much experienced MoP. Its a mash up of both those expansions but I would probably pick up some better games considering there are a dozen better games out there right now.

  14. #14
    Thank you all for the input. I guess I should have explained that the reason I want to pick up the game again over the holidays, is that I feel almost obligated to continue to experience WoW as it progresses. I'm sure others of you feel the same way, but it's almost like getting to know a kid as they grow up haha, you have to keep getting to know them as they get older in order to see how far they have come. You also start to feel attached, and invested in their future. That's how my relationship with WoW is.....healthy or not .

    I will probably pick it up over the holidays, there were a lot of you who said that 3 weeks is enough to experience the x-pac.

  15. #15
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Detroit mi
    Posts
    982
    Quote Originally Posted by wynterlyn View Post
    Well depending on how much you plan on playing a day I would say 3 weeks should be enough to see everything you want in MoP. I saw everything I wanted to see in 3 days and quit the game.
    3 days ass a casual is no where near enough to experience all of this patch at all. leveling is much longer then cata as well. 72 hours of play time if that is what you mean may be enough.
    Intel [email protected]
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Razer Naga

  16. #16
    OP.

    In my opinion, if you wait untill Summer, you will miss alot of the things that are currently in the game and that are yet to come.
    You should try MoP in the Christmas holiday, even if you don't have much time to experience everything. That way when u come back in the summer, you won't be far behind everyone in terms of knowledge and you will have at least a point to start.

  17. #17
    Pit Lord FuxieDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    København
    Posts
    2,431
    @ OP

    A couple = 2 hours per day, times 21 days = 42 hours of playtime..
    Only few people can level from 85-90 in that time, let alone "experience the expansion"..
    A lot of cotent is locked away behind reputarion-barriers or iLevel requirements..

    Had you said "A cuple of hours per day for 3 weeks, after I ding 90", I would have said MAYBE..
    A couple of hours,including levelling, NO WAY!!!

  18. #18
    Bloodsail Admiral Getreuer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    1,147
    Yes 3 weeks should do it Have fun!
    "Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million."
    - Arnold Schwarzenegger

  19. #19
    Brewmaster Marston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Terahertz View Post
    Edit: Oh and the HCs are actually quite boring compared to cata HCs IMO. I mean... they're really damn easy :/
    Have you tried Challenge mode? That is a whole other beast. I've only done one and didn't finish that one in 1 hour (we kept wiping on the third boss in Shado-Pan Monastery) but heck was thet fun.

    @OP:
    Do it. It's worth it. You can level to max, do all the scenarios (which I would recommend to do at least once!), do all the heroic as they are not really hard, do some PvP on the two new BGs, try LFR if you get a high enough item level and start the reputation grind. It might be a grind, but at least for the first few days it won't be that bad as there are many different quests per faction and these change every day. So you probably won't have the same set of dailies for the first few days.

    And if you really want a challenge, get 4 others and try challenge mode dungeons.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •