10+ Year Old Account

How to rebuild server communities?

So one of the things that depresses me in WoW today is the fact that on most servers, anything even remotely close to a server community is non-existent. Now we can argue for 40 pages on WHY this is, but I want to know, if you were in charge, how would you try and rebuild server communities?

I would:

1. Remove current versions of LFD/LFR/RBGs. Implement new systems that are essentially the same, but only group people from your realm
    2. Realm merges. If #1 happens, mergers HAVE to happen to ensure that queues will actually pop.
    3. More world bosses. Give people more reasons to group up.
    4. More Wintergrasp-like zones. Maybe even add in an old-AV style BG that is easy to enter and leave.
    PEPE SILVA, PEPE SILVA

Deleted
    Actually Blizzard is heading in the opposite direction.
    I think that cross-realm current raiding tier won't be much far, possibily even guilds in some future.

Deleted
    If people wanted there to be server communities they would still exist. Fact is, the majority of players would rather play at their own time (and pop into a dungeon/raid whenever they feel like it) than have to obey a strict guild schedule. And THAT is why the community faded, and nothing will bring it back, simply because most players want WoW to be a solo experience... (it shows when people roll on drops they don't need regardless of the rest of the group, many people play for themselves and the rest of the players might just as well be bots.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Unfortunately i think the same, Blizzard seems completely against realm merges so server communities are most likely dead forever. I can see cross realm Auction Houses soon, to be shared with your battleground.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Byniri View Post
    So one of the things that depresses me in WoW today is the fact that on most servers, anything even remotely close to a server community is non-existent. Now we can argue for 40 pages on WHY this is, but I want to know, if you were in charge, how would you try and rebuild server communities?

I would:

1. Remove current versions of LFD/LFR/RBGs. Implement new systems that are essentially the same, but only group people from your realm
    2. Realm merges. If #1 happens, mergers HAVE to happen to ensure that queues will actually pop.
    4. More Wintergrasp-like zones. Maybe even add in an old-AV style BG that is easy to enter and leave.
    1. Never going to happen. It's unrealistic at this point to even ask so that's a non-starter.
    2. This is starting to be addressed but not in a way that anyone expected. It still has a long way to go but seems to be here to stay.
    3. Yes.
    4. Yes.

In addition, I'd recommend that people take a look at what some RP servers do to maintain their communities. There's no reason at all if you and others on your realm are really seriously interested in encouraging community that you can't band together to push good things. It's a lot of work but it is possible. Cenarion Circle is an excellent example of a realm with a very strong community. Many of the things they do are applicable to non-RP realms.

As well, there's nothing to say that your personal game community needs to be limited to a specific realm. There are now more and better tools--Real ID & Battletags to start--for assembling communities from disparate places with more to come.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I don't think server communities are dead, its just what you put into it. I never interact with the people in my world, besides LFD/LFR/BGs etc and to me it seems dead but my wife is very social and is always helping people with her JC or with quests (she gave someone a lift last night on her 2 seater mount). Its more what you put into it than anything else.

Even with random dungeons you could ask in trade chat if anyone wants to queue up and I'm sure you'll get some people (especially if you are a tank offering free fast queues). When the theramore scenario opened up before MOP my favourite run was one were I queued up with a couple random people I saw in trade chat, neither player was very good and it took a while longer but easily the most fun I had running that scenario.

My question is different: WHY do you need communities restricted to server? What good it adds to the game? I'd concentrate on improving global community somehow.

WoW promotes a lot of interaction between players, but unfortunately most of it is negative. The opposite faction (Horde/Alliance) may as well be bots or just NPC mobs, since I can't interact with them in an meaningful manner. Competing for nodes/rares just makes me dislike you, not want to play with you.

Basically, WoW's current design does everything to break down community rather than build it.

10+ Year Old Account
    The vast majority of people who say they want to socialize do not really want to socialize. They just want community forced on them. The mark of someone who truly wishes to socialize on an online video game is someone who goes out of their way to interact with their server, they don't just sit idly by and pout about not having any e-friends, while not making an effort to make them. Also, the vast majority of players in general don't care about socialization period and Blizzard can't make them care.
    Look! Words!

Quote Originally Posted by Byniri View Post

I would:

Well if LFR/LFR was beginning of the end of server communities then CRZ (Cross Realm Zones) is definitely the final nail in the coffin. I mean especially on a RP=PVP realm, LFD/LFR didn't have that much of an impact as it probably did on the other realms but the introduction of the CRZ realms seems to have finally killed it completely. I mean Goldshire and other zones were a haven for RP. However, these days you have people from other servers including Tich, Kel'Thuzad that pop up here and there and simply grief any and all RP. Its become that bad that you can't even RP out in the world. To top it off, General Chat is filled with obscene language and people calling each other out and random topics.

It was never like this before the implementation of CRZ.

Quote Originally Posted by foxHeart View Post
    The vast majority of people who say they want to socialize do not really want to socialize. They just want community forced on them. The mark of someone who truly wishes to socialize on an online video game is someone who goes out of their way to interact with their server, they don't just sit idly by and pout about not having any e-friends, while not making an effort to make them. Also, the vast majority of players in general don't care about socialization period and Blizzard can't make them care.
    ^ this, people who WANT to socialize do.