1. #1

    Is anyone playing natural selection 2?

    I'd love to find a few buddies to play with. Just installed it but the UI is a bit different from NS1 (I still can't figure out how to build a hive!).

    For those not familiar. NS2 is a new release from Unknown Worlds, an indie studio. Natural Selection (ns) 1 was originally an immensely successful Half-Life mod which is part RTS part FPS with aliens facing off against marines.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by iggie View Post
    I'd love to find a few buddies to play with. Just installed it but the UI is a bit different from NS1 (I still can't figure out how to build a hive!).

    For those not familiar. NS2 is a new release from Unknown Worlds, an indie studio. Natural Selection (ns) 1 was originally an immensely successful Half-Life mod which is part RTS part FPS with aliens facing off against marines.
    I watched someone play it. Looked okay. Just something I couldn't get myself into though.

  3. #3
    Brewmaster Treeskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,421
    From a review I read there isn't a way to play with friends just yet, which is a shame as that was the deciding factor for me not buying it. xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrien View Post
    The main-issue said in one word:
    Defensive stance

  4. #4
    ill buy it once it goes on a decent sale i think.. always looked decent but i think £19.99 was a bit too much for what it is.
    Dictated but not read.

  5. #5
    I buy my games off Steam and I stay away from anything tagged "indie" like it's the plague.

    Yes, I admit I'm a spoiled gamer that believes indie stuff has a very low chance to satisfy.
    ...and then...fucking ponies everywhere.

  6. #6
    Bloodsail Admiral Waervyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Denmark/Netherlands/Finland
    Posts
    1,207
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Bob View Post
    I buy my games off Steam and I stay away from anything tagged "indie" like it's the plague.

    Yes, I admit I'm a spoiled gamer that believes indie stuff has a very low chance to satisfy.
    That's allowed to believe that =)
    I have to ask though:

    Have you played games like Bastion and Amnesia?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Waervyn View Post
    That's allowed to believe that =)
    I have to ask though:

    Have you played games like Bastion and Amnesia?
    Bastion, yes. Unsurprisingly I didn't find it interesting for more than 1 hour.
    ...and then...fucking ponies everywhere.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Bob View Post
    I buy my games off Steam and I stay away from anything tagged "indie" like it's the plague.

    Yes, I admit I'm a spoiled gamer that believes indie stuff has a very low chance to satisfy.
    Indie studio, the game itself looks like a Half-life esque game still. I'm still getting used to the changes in hotkeys myself.

    ill buy it once it goes on a decent sale i think.. always looked decent but i think £19.99 was a bit too much for what it is.
    Not too hard to trade for it, as anyone who preordered got an extra copy for free to gift.

    From a review I read there isn't a way to play with friends just yet, which is a shame as that was the deciding factor for me not buying it. xD
    False! It's totally playable with friends.... you just join the same server. I followed a friend on steam the other day and played.

  9. #9
    I played the original Natural Selection mod years and years ago and loved it.

    Got NS2 but I just haven't gotten into it due to various performance and loading related issues. Map loading takes ages, servers are still prone to kick you out (often when I try to get into a game with a friend usually one of us is kicked out after long load) and when in, FPS seems to drop very randomly.

    That game should've gotten atleast 3-6 months more pure optimization.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

    "People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

  10. #10
    The Lightbringer Istaril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Scotland. Freedom and So on.
    Posts
    3,227
    That game should've gotten atleast 3-6 months more pure optimization.
    They've been on a tight budget for a while, I suspect they had to release it. They were literally struggling with rent at some points in the creation of it.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    They've been on a tight budget for a while, I suspect they had to release it. They were literally struggling with rent at some points in the creation of it.
    I know, many of my favourite games have been released in abhorrent state. It doesn't change the facts though, not in their part nor on those who pushed out the titles I liked.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

    "People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •