problem with sound in wow

Everytime that I switch from speakes to head-phones or vise-versa after WoW has been loaded, I lose all in-game sounds (but out of game sound, like Ventrilo, still works). To get in-game sounds back I need to exit WoW and restart the game. Any idea of why this is happening?

Quote Originally Posted by thurizas View Post
    Everytime that I switch from speakes to head-phones or vise-versa after WoW has been loaded, I lose all in-game sounds (but out of game sound, like Ventrilo, still works). To get in-game sounds back I need to exit WoW and restart the game. Any idea of why this is happening?
    It is because you need to restart the client.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whenever i switched to headphones i didnt need to exit wow all i did was go into game sound output and change it too whatever i was using
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

Quote Originally Posted by starkey View Post
    Whenever i switched to headphones i didnt need to exit wow all i did was go into game sound output and change it too whatever i was using
    That's normal because the default sound device switched in windows and game. You may be able to go into the wow sound options and change the default device but if the client didn't recognize the change u have to restart wow.

That's normal.

Why don't you have WoW's sound output set to Default device, and then just go to Windows Sound panel to change your Headphones to Default device instead of speakers(While both being plugged in the computer all the time)? Works for me, unless your headphones have some fancy software that does not like this.(I use G35 and works no problem)

guess I need to clarify a bit, to swap between head-phones and speakers I physically swap the jacks (i.e., unplug the speakers and then plug the headphones into the jack that the speakers were pluged into).

So my question is how does WoW know that I've switch things around, especially if normal windows sounds and other applications happly keep going? And is there anyway to prevent wow doing this?

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    you should be able to set out the "jack sensing" from the drivers, that should do it.