Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerGamez View Post
    If you're going for best times possible - you wont be spec switching.
    In Brewery there is a 12 second window of roleplay where you can switch for the last boss. When my group got gold this is what we did. My group's hunter switched from SV to BM for the heroism, and I switched from healer to ret. You pretty much have to spam the spec swap and gear swap buttons, but it can be done.
    i5 2500k Powercolor HD 6950
    8gb 1600mhz RAM
    96gb Kingston SSD, 1TB Caviar Black 64mb cache
    Basic P67 motherboard
    800 watt PSU
    NZXT Phantom Case: If you think this case is ugly, you are wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Playintrafic View Post
    SV would be better on trash. BM on bosses. Do both? Dual spec costs like 5 gold now.
    Survival for basically all challenge modes, but if there is downtime with RP (such as just before 3rd boss in TotJS after all trash is dead), you can go BM if there is no more trash. It's pretty dependant on the dungeon though.
    Last edited by Caribald; 2012-11-26 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by timoseewho View Post
    I guess the general consensus is to go SV to get trash over with faster, thanks! We won't be having a lust/warp though, you think it's worth it to spend a good 10-15 secs (switch specs and focus regen) to go BM before every boss (without Sated of course) for the pet lust/warp?
    my group did not have lust except for me too

i ran everything as sv and we waited 5s for me to swap to bm for lust on the last boss of an instance

the only exception was scholo i believe. i still swapped to bm for lust/burst but it was on lillian voss instead of the last boss

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuhva View Post
    Female Dwarf has it at a sub 1000 dps loss compared to glaives (at 484 ilvil though). So not massive. Could argue (until 5.1) you loose some mobility though, you also need to be carefully has it has habit of pulling nearby packs.
    Sadly enough on pure aoe multishot + barrage is better than multishot + glaive toss (especially burst aoe).

Female dwarf might say it's not, but female dwarf is wrong most of the time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hikashuri View Post
    Sadly enough on pure aoe multishot + barrage is better than multishot + glaive toss (especially burst aoe).

That's a rather ignorant statement.

FD sims a tank and spank patchwerk fight, intended for use in raids, where trash is largely irrelevant. It has no use for simming "pure aoe" as you put it. And saying it is wrong most of the time is similarly ignorant. It is more or less always correct at what it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikashuri View Post

Because Female Dwarf models for trash pulls of challenge modes that need burst aoe? Referencing whether or not FD is right or wrong especially in the context of trash pulls of challenge modes is about as irrelevant as you can get.

---------- Post added 2012-11-21 at 01:05 PM ----------

Ahh beat me to it...

Quote Originally Posted by Gnolp View Post
    That's a rather ignorant statement.

FD sims a tank and spank patchwerk fight, intended for use in raids, where trash is largely irrelevant. It has no use for simming "pure aoe" as you put it. And saying it is wrong most of the time is similarly ignorant. It is more or less always correct at what it does.
    My hunter is the genetic love child of Liam Neeson, the Dos Equis guy and Chuck Norris. You lose.

<broken image snip>

A few seconds to swap specs is better than tens of extra seconds on each trash pull.

Anyone who is not willing to switch out specs according to what the situation calls for will probably not make it past silver.

A thing to keep in mind is that you can allways hang back to switch specs, through on your aspect of the cheetah to catch up. Be fluid.
    []http://sig.lanjelin.com/img/tanro.png[/]

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by timoseewho View Post
    Hello, I've been thinking of giving challenge modes a try. To anyone who's had experience with getting golds on their Hunter, what's the go-to spec/talent/glyph setup for this? SV for quicker trash clear or BM for slightly better damage? My thought is possibly SV to get trash over with, giving up just a little bit of DPS on boss. What other advice do you have? Anything is good.
    http://www.wowprogress.com/character...alyon/Critcrit

World 6th Mogu'shan
    World 5th Scarlet halls
    World 2nd Siege of Niuzao Temple

I went with Survival just because trash > bosses in terms of how much time it takes to kill more or less. With of course Thrill of the hunt, and lynx rush for burst dps and also free of focus cost. But in the end, talents and those things arent what's going to make the most time off, it's using class abilities at the right time, and using invis pots/engi invis and stuff like that. And also a bit of luck

Thanks guys, I just needed to know all the little things that could be done. I completely forgot about engineering invis.
    <Guiles Theme Song> @ Mal'Ganis-US Horde 20-man 10/10M 8/10M, currently recruiting all
    Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/timoseewho

Deleted
    Really love reading this. Didnt start the challenge modes yet but all this information will help me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerGamez View Post
    If you're going for best times possible - you wont be spec switching.
    Wrong! we had out Warlock switch specs twice or something in Shadow Pan to save time - they can do this while people are drinking up.

As others have said, strong AoE is king in every single CM, since killing trash is where you spend most of your time, and the faster you can zerg it down, the less tank/healer cooldowns and mana will be spent, allowing you to pretty much chainpull the whole instance without ever waiting for anything.
    I rolled with Silencing Shot instead of Binding Shot, since we already had Remorseless Winter and Shadowfury. With MD beeing somewhat bugged at the moment, you can just chain MD your tank with no cooldown as much as you want, to help him with threat issues with the big amount of stuns beeing casted by trashmobs and he can focus more on keeping himself alive.
    I respecced BM for a few endfights for heroism (Brewery, SM, SH, JST, Mogushan), unless you screw up a lot during the run those 5 seconds will definately be worth it and wont matter in a negative way, seeing as I could pull ~100k+ on bosses as BM with everything up and max 70k as SV singletarget if I got lucky. You can always dismiss pet and feign during last trash pack and respec as it is about to die, another joy of beeing a hunter! Our group had all buffs/debuffs covered apart from Spell Haste, with me using Kings-drums and a wolf-pet. So the buff we lost from me going BM/hero was 5% crit.
    If you wanna trim your timers even more, swap to Pack whenever running between pulls not in combat, might not seem a lot but in the end it will surely be worth a few seconds. You can also disengage ahead as trash is about to die and MD pull the next one so it's already dotted up and ready to go.
    Last edited by Khez; 2012-11-24 at 07:23 AM.

I just started doing CM's and we run with 2 hunters. We both spec switch all the time and have no issues making the gold times so i would ignore the person who advised against it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtslbd View Post
    I just started doing CM's and we run with 2 hunters. We both spec switch all the time and have no issues making the gold times so i would ignore the person who advised against it.
    The thing is, if you go for the ABSOLUTE fastest time, then those 5 seconds changing spec and re-gaining focus will hurt the time, probably more than what you save on the boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyful View Post
    The thing is, if you go for the ABSOLUTE fastest time, then those 5 seconds changing spec and re-gaining focus will hurt the time, probably more than what you save on the boss.
    There is generally a lot of time you can fit in a respec quite easily. If you are swapping to BM for bosses you will regain your focus nearly instantly when popping CD's. Also the fact that you will generally be using BW + dire beast + lynx rush i never found myself focus starved.

Finished the achievement tonight with a less then ideal comp, we didn't go for the best possible time but managed to pick up a few good times. I cant post links as i don't have enough posts but if you check wowprogress you can see.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtslbd View Post
    There is generally a lot of time you can fit in a respec quite easily. If you are swapping to BM for bosses you will regain your focus nearly instantly when popping CD's. Also the fact that you will generally be using BW + dire beast + lynx rush i never found myself focus starved.
    Not really, because if you're talking about mana break, then just let the healer drop combat, use the mana drink and then pull again since there is quite low damage at the start of a fight, trash pack or boss and that means you wont have time to respec. But yes, if you're just after gold then by all means it's possible to repec back and forth.

http://www.wowprogress.com/character...ng-skull/Rakky

Really only did it for all gold so no extreme pushing times, played SV for the absolute most of it (I did the pretty obvious switch to BM for last boss in brewery, possibly some other that I can't remember)

Quote Originally Posted by Joyful View Post
    This is pretty much true for everything but last boss in brewery, just let your healer respec with you and kill that shit fast. With lust and RF+BW your focus won't hurt whatsoever.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zayniel View Post
    This is pretty much true for everything but last boss in brewery, just let your healer respec with you and kill that shit fast. With lust and RF+BW your focus won't hurt whatsoever.
    Yes. If your healer is respecing for dps on any fight, then you are allowed to do the same more or less, otherwise it's just a waste of valuable seconds.

I think it depends on your group. when we got all golds I was running with a frost DK and a ele shaman so they pretty much had AoE on lock. As a result I played BM for some extra damage on Bosses and that ended up working fine. If you're playing with a fire mage or some other strong single target specs though SV is definitely the way to go.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Oricc View Post
    I think it depends on your group. when we got all golds I was running with a frost DK and a ele shaman so they pretty much had AoE on lock. As a result I played BM for some extra damage on Bosses and that ended up working fine. If you're playing with a fire mage or some other strong single target specs though SV is definitely the way to go.
    But if you had been SV you would've also done a lot of AoE dps as well, without losing all that much single target dps.