Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
7
8
9
10
11
LastLast
  1. #161
    Quote Originally Posted by Varabently View Post
    Same thing happened in Wrath unfortunately.
    But ICC was way better than DS!

  2. #162
    Immortal Destil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kanda's House
    Posts
    7,879
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlevicar View Post
    But ICC was way better than DS!
    I liked DS but I have to agree.

    12 bosses plus an amazing final boss filled with not only heavy lore, but also amazing story telling and a wonderfully constructed ending.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Transorcers, Warlords in disguise.
    Writer and journalist for Adventures In Poor Taste (http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/)

  3. #163
    I think Cata redesigning the whole world was amazing, the new zones were good, the pvp was a step up. The only bad part was at the end with the extremely slow content, it just happens to be the part everyone remembers the most. I'd still take it over WotLK's exhaustive repetition any day.

  4. #164
    Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    The healing in the beginning (pre-nerf) was a friggin' nightmare and more frustrating than fun.

    TBC was my favourite era in WoW.
    I don't understand how someone can make these two statements in the same post. Do you honestly not remember TBC? Tanks had to go over strategy on trash pulls. "Kill this mob first it fears, I'll be tanking over here because of the AoE silence, healers you should stand there." etc. Only in TBC, if the tank got feared, all mobs stopped attacking him/her and went after the number 2 agro for them. Also, most tanks couldn't hold AoE agro, so on the lovely 6 pulls (think Shadow labs), the healing strat for priests was, bubble, pom, tank charges, you start your greater heal, followed immediately by fade, and a couple of prayers that the tank would be able to pick up all the mobs before fade wore off, which they had about a 50/50 chance of doing.

    Healing only seemed bad at the start of Cata, because Wrath was so so freaking boring as a healer, most of us just dps'd, and the DPS had gotten lazy and didn't bother moving out of stuff. Once people realized they had to pay attention to mechanics it got a lot better.

    Personally I loved the start of Cata. Yeah it kicked my butt, but I enjoy that kind of a challenge as a healer. I continued loving CATA until the patch with DS, and the new heroics. The new heroics were boring. From the very start they were boring. The only time they were even remotely challenging to me was when I was playing my new pally healer who cheated ilvl to get in, and I got paired with a tank that also cheated ilvl to get in. Dragon Soul was a joke. We cleared it the second week on normal, which left nine months with nothing but heroic to look at. Boring.

    So I guess my biggest gripe with Cata was the huge swing in difficulty. It started pretty far on the challenge side, then swung way way way over to the laughably easy side. I would have preferred consistency.

  5. #165
    the point about cata was that it managed what no other expansion could do.
    it killed my guild.
    on my server I was in one of the top raiding guilds. we had the best reputation and persisted through the transition from 40 man to 10/25 in tbc and did very well there. wrath also was no problem. it was easier, it sucked but the principles were the same.
    what killed our guild was that we were focused on 25man raids. wow's population was dropping and 10man raids got the same loot as 25man raids. with the dropping population and the shift from 25man to 10man (our recruitment ran dry) the guild finally seized to exist.

    it's one of the reasons I don't play wow anymore.

  6. #166
    MoP is better to me just because they gave us more to do, and Pandaria is bar none way cooler than the crappy Cata zones. Vashir was disgusting to everyone except for a few people. Hyjal was okay. Deepholme could have been so much more. In lore it was designed as basically being a giant cavern in the earth. There was no sky to see period. Instead they decide to say screw the lore and gave us a giant crater. Uldum I'll say was pretty awesome. Twilight Highlands was bleh. No one really got to do it anyways. There was no point at 85 in doing it or going there really, and you'd be 85 before you even got there half the time so you didn't even level up there.

    Also the Cata entry raids were indeed amazing. In my opinion that was Blizzard's best tier at that point since Ulduar. It was brutally difficult for many people which most of us were happy about because we complained at how easy they made raids and heroics in WotLk. 5 man heroics in Cata were also great at launch for that matter. However I have a negative emotion regarding Cata heroics because Blizzard caved and nerfed the hell out of them.

    And Dragon Soul indeed is one reason why many view Cata as a terrible expansion. It was pretty rough in WotLK having only ICC for a year, but Dragon Soul was even worse. At least ICC was new with a couple new boss models for example, and we were fighting Arthas. Dragon Soul was not even in a new dungeon enviroment, and seriously almost every single boss model was something old and outdated. I was shocked when i saw two of the DS boss models were simply a Tauren Male and an Orc Female...

    And the Deathwing fight was a MAJOR disappointement. We had just had an amazing end fight with Firelands and Ragnaros too. Then we do Dragon Soul and see what a terrible fight Deathwing is. Especially the Madness encounter. We don't even fight Deathwing, we just see his giant claws.. Also Dragon Soul was only 8 boss encounters which was very very sad.

    Cata also failed on the promise of giving us Path of the Titans. And the re-doing of the talent system in Cata was all but pointless.

    So yeah so far I'd say MoP is a grand slam of an expansion compared to Cataclysm. In fact overall I'd rate Cata as the worst expansion we have ever had. With the best being Burning Crusade followed by MoP then ICC.

  7. #167
    Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    Your argument in the Dailies Thread was you couldn't down the bosses due to your gear, which you "have" to get from dailies.

    What boss are you even on in MV, or HoF, or Terrace? I never asked this.

    If you're stuck on like..Spirit Kings or Garajal, no offense but your Raid Team isn't good.
    I am not in a guild with a raid team. I have not entered any normal mode raids in WoW since ICC.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "Almost every time I have gotten to know a critic personally, they keep up with the criticism but lose the venom." -- Ghostcrawler

  8. #168
    Stood in the Fire Satanous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    384
    The reason I disliked Cata was because it felt like a overdrawn patch, most of the things that looked interesting didn't make it in. As well as dragon soul being half-arsed and a joke. Blizzard could redo all of the old instances for all I care (would really REALLY like a touched up BRD) in a short amount of time between raid/large content patches and i'd be happy. It just feels like they take forever to release new stuff on top of the fact it sits on PTR. Would be awesome to one tuesday log on to loading screen to an event that no one knew was coming.

  9. #169
    I'll make a little list of things I can think of that I didn't like in Cata:

    1. On-rails questing, I hate this and I wish they could go back to the semi hub questing style instead.
    2. Disliked the new healers - You couldn't outplay them and if they have equal gear then can just stand there and heal 24/7 and never Oom. (They were supposed to Oom but they didn't.)
    3. HCs took ~60 min because everything took so long to kill, I was enjoying the Wrath AoE style with quick fights. (I hate trash mobs and tanky ones are even worse)
    4. Who was Deathwing, seriously, who was he?
    5. The game was horribly unbalanced at the start. Feral bleeds taking you from 0% to 100%
    6. Still no MMR reset GG (Still a problem)
    7. Very few talent changes, I love talents
    8. Didn't feel bursty in PvP anymore as Shaman. (Did get scaling stat as Elemental Yay)
    9. Elemental was dog shit before the lightning bolt glyph.
    10. They took a long long time to fix anything even the most glaring of problems.

    3. Was an huge one for me, I feel that a fight doesn't need to take long to be challenging or difficult. Trash could have different effects and spells that force you to work differently every pull and preferably something avoidable. Have a room filled with trash and one mini-boss-trash mob which casts spells that have to be avoided or worked around. Transferable dots which ramp up the longer they are on target, laser beams, fire, etc.
    Last edited by Whatspostcount; 2012-11-20 at 04:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gin View Post
    snail due european definition is a land fish, and many many more

  10. #170
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightfist View Post
    Also, I have to ask what you're comparing the raid difficulty to?
    To normal mode raid difficulty in Wrath, back when subs were high. After they moved away from that, raiding pretty much died for most people.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "Almost every time I have gotten to know a critic personally, they keep up with the criticism but lose the venom." -- Ghostcrawler

  11. #171
    Stood in the Fire CoolHwip46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Kil'Jaeden
    Posts
    383
    my main problem with mists right now is with the pvp. 5.1 doesnt seem like its going to really fix anything, even with the class nerfs.
    Why are you putting so much emphasis on the H?
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...n/Ulchi/simple

  12. #172
    Yes, Cataclysm lived up to its name. What an horrible expansion.

    There is this awesome 1~60 refurbishing and then all crap.

    Buu <= WHY I LOVE TO PLAY HUNTERS! => Pendleton

  13. #173
    Scarab Lord namelessone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Canadia
    Posts
    4,285
    Cata wasn't terribad, it was just a step in the wrong direction since Wrath. A lot of people were burnt out on increased length and difficulty of Heroics, many didn't like Cata questing zones, over-reliance on reused assets, etc etc. I liked first two raiding tiers of Cata, frankly I liked first Cata tier a lot more than first tier of Wrath, but overall, it did not innovate and improve as many things as previous expansions.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

  14. #174
    Quote Originally Posted by Buu View Post

    There is this awesome 1~60 refurbishing and then all crap.


    want updated character model crap too?

  15. #175
    Immortal Destil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kanda's House
    Posts
    7,879
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    I am not in a guild with a raid team. I have not entered any normal mode raids in WoW since ICC.
    ..............

    Then why the hell are you complaining about anything?!

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-20 at 04:56 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    To normal mode raid difficulty in Wrath, back when subs were high. After they moved away from that, raiding pretty much died for most people.
    Or, ya know.

    8 year old game.

    People outgrow it.

    ...8 year old game.
    ......8 year old game.
    ...............8 year old game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Transorcers, Warlords in disguise.
    Writer and journalist for Adventures In Poor Taste (http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/)

  16. #176
    Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    ..............

    Then why the hell are you complaining about anything?!
    Because I did enjoy raiding in Wrath... and they killed that. Of course I'm resentful.

    Also, I'm not so much complaining as enjoying pointing out the failure of the model they replaced Wrath raiding with.

    Or, ya know.

    8 year old game.
    Or, you know, the sudden ramp up in difficulty with Catalcysm, leading to immediate decline in subs. But nah, it must have been synchronized sudden onset boredom.
    Last edited by Osmeric; 2012-11-20 at 05:11 PM.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "Almost every time I have gotten to know a critic personally, they keep up with the criticism but lose the venom." -- Ghostcrawler

  17. #177
    Pandaren Monk Slummish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,780
    Cataclysm was only bad if you're not smart enough to realize the purpose of the expansion. Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms were in dire need of modernization... and that's exactly what we got. The majority of people on this forum are the educated pve/pvp type and are therefore unconcerned with how the game feels to new or casual players. Fortunately, Blizzard is not so myopic. The old world needed fixing.

    If there was a truly failed expansion, I'd have to go with WotLK or MoP. Truth be told, WotLK was probably better than MoP because MoP has provided very little outside of dumbed-down mechanics, a bloated daily quest regimen and a new class that is too complicated for most of the playerbase to utilize effectively. At least Wrath had Ulduar.

  18. #178
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    434
    Dragonsoul.

    I really liked some parts of Cata, but as the OP wants to know why people dislike it, here is my reasons.

    -Orc Mages/Gnome Priests. Neither fit with the lore.
    -Uldum. Had waited for YEARS for this zone to be opened and the whole Raiders of the Lost Ark crap was complete garbage. Zone itself was amazing.
    -Dragonsoul. Rehashed content. Deathwing should have been epic, it should have made ICC look like crap. Instead it was underwealming even worse then ToC.
    -DS LFR. I like how LFR is now but the way it was implemented was horrible.
    -It really seemed to change WoW at the end into World of Queuecraft.

    Their was a lot I really liked about it but those things left a bad taste in my mouth.

  19. #179
    Immortal Destil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kanda's House
    Posts
    7,879
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Because I did enjoy raiding in Wrath... and they killed that. Of course I'm resentful.

    Also, I'm not so much complaining as enjoying pointing out the failure of the model they replaced Wrath raiding with.



    Or, you know, the sudden ramp up in difficulty with Catalcysm, leading to immediate decline in subs. But nah, it must have been synchronized sudden onset boredom.
    Well apparently 10 million persons who are currently playing love the raiding system, and, well, ya know, if you go to that thread "So what's your verdict", you can see a lot of people give the raids in Mists 8 and above. And by a lot I'd estimate..80%+.

    So, you don't have to carry your own "I have a personal grudge against Blizzard cuz they ruined the game for me so I'm going to listen to my opinion and only opinion" attitude just based on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Transorcers, Warlords in disguise.
    Writer and journalist for Adventures In Poor Taste (http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/)

  20. #180
    Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    Well apparently 10 million persons who are currently playing love the raiding system, and, well, ya know, if you go to that thread "So what's your verdict", you can see a lot of people give the raids in Mists 8 and above. And by a lot I'd estimate..80%+.
    Non-randomized sample is non-randomized. The progression stats show great dropoff in interest. The people who like the more difficult raiding are a tiny minority of the player population, judging by how many of them actually do it.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "Almost every time I have gotten to know a critic personally, they keep up with the criticism but lose the venom." -- Ghostcrawler

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •