Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
    Cataclysm was a huge disappointment to me.

There was far too much time in between raids, especially all that time after Dragon Soul with no filler content until MoP. Cataclysm was the first expansion that I didn't even log in unless it was a raid night. I found that very depressing. I'm glad MoP has something for me to do again.

I really enjoyed the first tier of Cataclysm. The zones themselves are great and I enjoyed exploring them, I really liked gearing up and how difficult the heroics were, as well as clearing all three raids with my guild. It was actually one of my favorite experiences to date.

However, after a time the problem of feeling like I was sitting in a city waiting for queues and things to happen was a lot worse than at any other time since I have been playing the game. There just wasn't a lot to engage me, the world didn't feel cohesive or very interesting for me. I enjoyed the Molten Front for a few weeks and the Firelands were fun for me, but after that I stopped playing for a long time.
    Last edited by Gnomeschool; 2012-11-21 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Spellage.

I disliked Cata because:

No content.

Basically this. We got FLOODED with raids at launch, which actually made me hate the whole tier as it was constant stress as officer and serious, hardcore guild to keep up the pace - and after that, we got 3 patches of nothing, if I'm correct: one to rehash my two most hated instances ever, with the promise of "more soon" when we got jack all for a very long time, one for firelands which admittably was very good but the whole legendary fail did ruin it for me ("get your legendary after you cleared heroic mode weeks ago!"), and one DS and need I get started on that? Though Yorsahj and Zonozz heroic were actually fun, I was thoroughly disappointed at the lack of new environments, not to mention DSpatch was up for way too long.

Edit: Like many, Cata was the patch where I didn't log in. Though I wasn't thrilled with WOTLK either, it had its moment and it made me come back. By Cata however I had done all achievements that filled my time in WOTLK, and there was nothing else. I had a sub going because of the annual pass but when we quit raiding DS, I didn't log for weeks at an end.

I fear that MoP may be going down the same path. Too much content in too little time, I've been exalted with everyone for ages now and I honestly CBA on my alts to do that grind all over again, if not for some PvP I'd be back at only logging in for the raids. I worry that next (raiding) patch will be underwhelming and last too long, like was the case in Cata. Heck, I already worry for the 5.1 patch, it already looks extremely underwhelming.
    Last edited by Cirque; 2012-11-21 at 04:38 AM.

Cata was no worse than MoP. If anything, my experience has shown that, while both expansions were effective at bringing back veteran players, MoP was more effective at making them quit again than Cata.

I normally attribute the Cata hatred to misguided zealotry. People want to believe that they're experiencing the game in its peak, and part of that illusion requires them to spread negative propaganda against anything that ran contrary to the current design philosophy.

---------- Post added 2012-11-20 at 11:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Highmoon7 View Post
    From a casual PvE player and hard core PvP player my problems were...

1) Heroics were too dificult for pug groups. I don't think I cleared any heroics in Cata. I just wanted to do some for fun. I had no real interest in the gear. It would have been nice to clear just a few...
    2) Talent tress were terrible. Trees were more cookie cutter than ever. Everyone had the exact same set up. Although idk if it is much better now.
    3) 25 man heroic items in PvP. Don't have time to raid 10+ hours a week? To bad now you lose at pvp too. (tho it was in wotlk it wasn't as bad)
    4) God status of Rogues in PvP. Insane lock down, insane damage, compeletly self healing.
    Wow, you're basically the target audience for this expansion. Tell me though, did you really believe the talent trees to be a major problem with your enjoyment of the game? Or did you just come to the realization that they were ruining your fun after Blizzard told you so?

Quote Originally Posted by mosely View Post
    Cata was no worse than MoP. If anything, my experience has shown that, while both expansions were effective at bringing back veteran players, MoP was more effective at making them quit again than Cata.

I normally attribute the Cata hatred to misguided zealotry. People want to believe that they're experiencing the game in its peak, and part of that illusion requires them to spread negative propaganda against anything that ran contrary to the current design philosophy.

---------- Post added 2012-11-20 at 11:53 PM ----------

Wow, you're basically the target audience for this expansion. Tell me though, did you really believe the talent trees to be a major problem with your enjoyment of the game? Or did you just come to the realization that they were ruining your fun after Blizzard told you so?
    5 of the 7 close friends I had from my old guild who quit during Cata came back for MoP and have had very long discussions with me about how much better and more cohesive it is than Cataclysm EVER was.

T11 was fun as a raid tier. T14 has a FAR better storyline, and if the lore keeps up like it is now, MoP is already 100% going to be a much better expansion all around than Cata ever dreamed it could have been.

Even Ghostcrawler admitted he wasn't really happy with how Cata turned out in a recent audio interview, stating he felt the entire experience felt disjointed in story and experience due to the spread out zones and storylines left unfinished.

I played Beta since the third waves of invites and played every day till it closed on the 24th. That was over 5 MONTHS of Beta. I've played MoP on live every single day since the 25th. So overall I've been playing this expansion every day for 7 months now, and I am feeling absolutely zero burn out. There is so much new content to keep me busy, and the environments are far more detailed. Pandaria delivers something new and fresh and has something that caters to all breeds of players. Hardcores have heroic raids and challenge modes while casuals have heroic 5mans and LFR/Normal modes. Then you have all the dailies and reps and new mounts to collect, all the rares to kill, hidden items to find, and achievements to earn. Pet Battling is a nice time killer when you feel like mixing it up.

The reason MoP will succeed is because it offers more to DO than cataclysm ever did. Cataclysm was a revamp expansion, aimed to fix things internally and systematically. Mists of Pandaria is it's own, new story. It's own experience. Cataclysm lacked actual content to do. MoP is jam-packed full of it.

At this point, if you can't find things to do in game, you're burned out with WoW itself, not this expansion, and it's time for you to leave and find something else to play. This isn't your game anymore. Not because it's going "downhill," but because you are outgrowing it. This happens with EVERY person who has ever played a video game. It took me 6 years to realize I had outgrown Runescape. I blamed it on the updates ruining the game. It was "changing" too much for me. Truth is, I went back and played Runescape two weeks ago to see what had changed, and it felt like the same game I played years ago.

The truth is, WoW will always be what WoW is. You'll come back years from now and not a damn thing will really have CHANGED. What will have changed, however, is YOU and your tastes. MoP is amazingly fun for a lot of people, including myself. Whether Pandaren and the Asian theme are "your thing," or not is irrelevant. What is relevant is how much MORE there is to do in this expansion than in the last.

Cataclysm could of been an awesome expansion if they used the world more but they didn't. They left all the end game content to the level 80 zones. The whole world changed. They should of used this more to make more world quests and massive world events.
    I also hated DS being out for way too long. The content got stale and they had nothing for players to do. Most players completed the insane achievement in this time because they were that bored with the content.
    They did learn in MOP to make content last for longer. A lot of things are being dragged out like reputation and cooking with the tillers etc so people don't breeze through the content. I have to hand it to Blizzard, this has worked great. It's now 2 months into the expansion and I am still doing things in the game.
    The things I don't like about MOP is the level cap. Another 5 levels is bullshit. They made it only 5 levels last expansion because they were updating the old world and only did 5 levels. MOP is a new expansion so it should of had 10 levels, if not 15 to make it level 100.
    I also don't like the world pvp aspect. I remember Blizzard giving people purpose to attack world cities and to create world pvp. There is nothing like that in MOP. This expansion is based on war - where is the war?

For me its Mists > Vanilla > BC > Wrath > Cata.

Biggest beef with Cata is the inconsistency of the stories for me, not one new place but lots of scattered ones. That made it the worst expansion for me so far. Mists brought back all the stuff i loved in Vanilla, like proper outdoor raid bosses and lots of new things like challenge modes and tillers. I do like Cata for the revamped old zones though, but Wrath and BC still excelled much more as an expansion to me for various reasons. BC brought us Flying, for instance!
    Going to McDonalds for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug.

For me personally vanilla was best, but mists is second, then BC, then cata and wrath are tied for last. Cata was pretty bad, but wrath was really rough. The naxx tier of raiding was extremely boring after the first or second clear, Ulduar was a very good tier, ToC was extremely boring due to playing the same instance with no trash on 4 different modes... I guess it sounded a lot better on paper lol. Ice crown was a let down for me as a long time fan of the warcraft series, coupled with the fact that it was around for a year. I also didn't like how questing was pretty much negated by easily obtainable epics, I was literally able to get one of my toons in a full set of epics in one day in wotlk, I know most people here don't think that's a big deal, but if you played vanilla, you'd know how difficult it was to even get just one epic lol. On top of that the arena seasons were too long and season 5 in particular was very broken.

With Cata, I think the first tier of raiding was fantastic, the second tier was boring as hell, and considering ZA and ZG were re-released prior to it, it made for an awfully boring tier. Dragon soul IMO was a big let down too, the trash felt really boring all around, and the final DW fight didn't really feel like you were fighting death wing since you were really just attacking his tentacles.

Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    Was Cata actually and legitimately that bad?
    Yes, Cata was terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by greg098 View Post
    Most players completed the insane achievement in this time because they were that bored with the content.
    I am extremely skeptical about this claim.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "Almost every time I have gotten to know a critic personally, they keep up with the criticism but lose the venom." -- Ghostcrawler
    I hate these casual Fridays ruining it for real Fridays.

People will call me mad but I really enjoyed the first half of Cata, when the heroics were a lot harder and when the raids were a lot harder. Somewhere towards the end of Firelands cata got really boring for me and I wasn't a super fan of the DS patch. I also didn't really like the levelling in cata but that was only a small % of the content I played.