Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Do you get burnt out?

So, I stopped playing all games for the most part back in June when I moved out of my apartment. I moved to a place with no internet. Well, I finally found a reliable internet provider and got back onto the internet where I belong.

I have been around the internet for around 10-15 years. It has introduced me to so many things, especially music. Gaming online has always been a deep passion for me. It started with Counter-Strike then grew into Battlefield, and WoW. From there I expanded all over the spectrum of online games. When I was waiting to get internet, all I could think about was buying WoW:MOP and Guild Wars. I was practically withdrawing like an addict. I couldn't stop surrounding myself with WoW and GW2 info. Well I got my internet, went bananas with WoW, not so much with GW because I had played WoW for almost 10 years and I had too much invested to start a new MMO. Well, I hit max and started doing the dailies and heroics and just got bored almost instantly. So I have been switching between GW2, BF3, CS:GO, Minecraft, TF2, and Planetside 2. Well, nothing I play seems to keep my interest for more than a few minutes. I am just bored endlessly with all of them. I don't know if it's because I play too much, or because I just genuinely don't enjoy games anymore. I can't even play my console games for more than a few minutes before just shutting it off.

I love internet communities, and I love being around other mature intelligent people and playing games. Maybe it's because I play all of these games alone, because I literally have NO friends. I have a hard time meeting new people, keeping friends, and sticking around because I presume everyone will just screw me over eventually. I don't know how to rekindle the fire that catapulted me into this world that I truly believe I belong in. I can't live without the internet, it's too vital to my wealth of knowledge and the everlasting expansion of it.

Do you guys get burnt out like this? Am I just over video games now?

You're over it and nostalgia is ruining it. Nothing will ever compare to the old school games you loved. Just the same way that cars these days are far superior mechanically and technically than all old cars, but your dad is still all about that old 1970 mustang. Nostalgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Yau View Post
    You're over it and nostalgia is ruining it. Nothing will ever compare to the old school games you loved. Just the same way that cars these days are far superior mechanically and technically than all old cars, but your dad is still all about that old 1970 mustang. Nostalgia.
    This makes quite a bit of sense actually. I spend most of my time when on all of these games reliving the great moments I had years ago. Especially CS and WoW. The times I had on those games were the best of my life. I wish I could feel that passion and enjoyment again.

I'm 31 years old, I'm getting my 3rd masters this spring.. Been playing games for the past 20 years and I've played MMO's alot.. For the past few years I've had a hard time motivating myself for playing, Wow has pretty much been the only game I play the past few years.. And I dont really like playing it anymore.. But when I take breaks, its not the game I miss... It's the people.

I've been playing with the same bunch of people for a long time, people I talk to everyday, I know everything about them etc.... When I'm not playing, I dont talk to them that much - and thats the part I miss.. not the game itself

I havent played since week 2 of MoP.. I love the expansion, I just dont have the time - but I miss my friends :/

Quote Originally Posted by panon View Post
    I'm 31 years old, I'm getting my 3rd masters this spring.. Been playing games for the past 20 years and I've played MMO's alot.. For the past few years I've had a hard time motivating myself for playing, Wow has pretty much been the only game I play the past few years.. And I dont really like playing it anymore.. But when I take breaks, its not the game I miss... It's the people.

I've been playing with the same bunch of people for a long time, people I talk to everyday, I know everything about them etc.... When I'm not playing, I dont talk to them that much - and thats the part I miss.. not the game itself

I havent played since week 2 of MoP.. I love the expansion, I just dont have the time - but I miss my friends :/
    I have no time at all either, but I do my 8 arena matches lfr and 2 or 3 dailies when I find time. So I play between 5 and 10 hours a week. I see alot of content and barely play - love it.

Going through the same thing here.

Over the last two years I've steadily lost interest in video games. I had a PS3 with nearly 50 titles, I think I only managed to actually finish maybe 6 of them, otherwise I'll play a game for a few minutes then get bored. And then there was that time I bought a DS to play Pokemon HeartGold. Sold it two months later without finishing the game. This year I've purchased 47 titles on Steam. I've installed 5, played 2, completed nothing. The same thing happened with WoW. I've been playing since '06, love the game, played it every day, but then MoP hit, leveled to 90 on one character then... stopped playing.

I don't believe it has anything to do with nostalgia, because I get bored of all my old favourites as well, so I think the problem lies elsewhere inside. We're older than we were, physically, mentally, spiritually. Game development in general has changed dramatically over the last 10 years, and so have we. Are we no longer the target audience? It's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by panon View Post

GG I cant even afford to start a bachelors.

Quote Originally Posted by Thefatness View Post
    GG I cant even afford to start a bachelors.
    Lucky me, living in a country where everyone is given equal oppurtunity to education

It really sucks, I am sitting here saying I WANT to play a game. However none of them look appealing. I also am on limited monthly usage so I can't just go downloading new games whenever I want. I want to play something!!!

I've also basically stopped playing anything. Like was said above, I guess we just aren't the target audience anymore, which is too bad for developers. They are going to miss out on a whole generation of people in the next few release cycles
    Quote Originally Posted by kasath
    is anyone in this group under 18? my parole officer says I'm not allowed to play wow with anyone under 18

Quote Originally Posted by CataclismicSunrise View Post
    Going through the same thing here.

Over the last two years I've steadily lost interest in video games. I had a PS3 with nearly 50 titles, I think I only managed to actually finish maybe 6 of them, otherwise I'll play a game for a few minutes then get bored. And then there was that time I bought a DS to play Pokemon HeartGold. Sold it two months later without finishing the game. This year I've purchased 47 titles on Steam. I've installed 5, played 2, completed nothing. The same thing happened with WoW. I've been playing since '06, love the game, played it every day, but then MoP hit, leveled to 90 on one character then... stopped playing.

I don't believe it has anything to do with nostalgia, because I get bored of all my old favourites as well, so I think the problem lies elsewhere inside. We're older than we were, physically, mentally, spiritually. Game development in general has changed dramatically over the last 10 years, and so have we. Are we no longer the target audience? It's possible.
    I think its simply the fact that when we get older we simply cant find the time anymore... :S so we dont motivate ourselves to gaming as we used to... :S its sad, cause I miss the relief I got from gaming

10+ Year Old Account
    i get burnt out after about 5 hours of continuous play no matter what game. depending on which game it could be anywhere from a day to a couple weeks before i try playing it again.

My last break was Ulduar in Wrath. Am I burnt out? Eh somewhat, but I still enjoy the game, so I play it. The day I stop enjoying it, I won't play it. Simple.

I still enjoy it... but I simply dont have the time to play it the way makes me enjoy it the most....... at top level

Yup. Quit WoW back in July 2011, didn't play anything until SWTOR 2011 December then quit in March 2012. Played LoL a month or two, but didn't really play it much. Haven't played anything since (except a brief 1 week GW2 which I didn't enjoy), probably won't play anything until TESO comes out, and even then who knows if it'll be good/if I'll enjoy it.

There are other things in life though... they've only come to my realization recently, and now that I know them, video games just don't seem worth my time anymore. Dunno.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

yea i quit wow a month or so before MOP. just got really bored and didnt have the time to play like a lot of my friends did. i started in classic so there is def a lot of nostalgia with it but i just cant play anymore. i play GW2 mostly, and CS, but maybe an hour or so a day average. some of us just grow out of games. Its not like when we were kids and we came home from school at 2 30, had like an hours worth of easy HW and just played video games with our friends all afternoon or playing games all weekend cause we had no responsibilities. Its normal, move on from the games, get that social life u dont have, and go out! =)
    "Grammar is important. Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse & helping your uncle jack off a horse."

Deleted
    The only thing I play is WoW, I lose interest in everything else after 10-15 min. However, I feel that I'm getting tired with WoW as well, it's just the same old game, but this time it requires too much time.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sometimes you will get burned out like that, nothing can 'please' u enough

Ive quit playing games for 6 months or more, started again and have that feeling back where i can play whole day long.

Maybe you need more time to recover, or just need another hobby

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thefatness View Post
    It really sucks, I am sitting here saying I WANT to play a game. However none of them look appealing. I also am on limited monthly usage so I can't just go downloading new games whenever I want. I want to play something!!!
    ive been playing pokemon roms lately from white to heartgold to yellow and platinum then deciding i cant be bothere

10+ Year Old Account
    Happened to me after graduation and before I got a job. Played all day every day. Not anymore.

Now I hardly can find time to play some SP games I'd loved to between work and MP games with friends. My backlog started growing even faster than it was before.
    That's why you need me.... Need someone to punish you for your sins.