Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Google's gigabit internet going online

It's really quite amazing the prices they're offering for such fast speeds.

$70/month for 1000 Mbit/s internet is rather absurd.

http://www.technologyreview.com/news...s-up-to-speed/

10+ Year Old Account
    While I doubt it'll ever come where I currently live, I love the idea and am glad that the U.S. is finally getting up with other developed countries concerning Internet speed, even if it is just in a few select places at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by dupti View Post
    Something.

Quote Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
    While I doubt it'll ever come where I currently live, I love the idea and am glad that the U.S. is finally getting up with other developed countries concerning Internet speed, even if it is just in a few select places at this point.
    Catching up? Pretty soon Kansas City is going to blow Korea out of the water in terms of speed. FIOS already offers up to 300 Mbit/s (albeit at stupid high prices).

Great! I always wanted a huge multimillion dollar company to have access to my browser history so that it can tune it's add system on youtube, google and whatnot even more towards "my needs"

Monopolizing the internet by offering cheap and fast internet due to removal of anonymity and shitton of addrevenue!

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Catching up? Pretty soon Kansas City is going to blow Korea out of the water in terms of speed. FIOS already offers up to 300 Mbit/s (albeit at stupid high prices).
    Yea, i think "catching up" is still correct. Kansas city is smaller than Korea, and is also only a tiny portion of the "U.S.", so as far as the "U.S." on average goes...
    Last edited by openair; 2012-11-20 at 03:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by I-Thalos-I View Post
    Great! I always wanted a huge multimillion dollar company to have access to my browser history so that it can tune it's add system on youtube, google and whatnot even more towards "my needs"

Monopolizing the internet by offering cheap and fast internet due to removal of anonymity and shitton of addrevenue!

Fuck off, you never had any privacy on the internet in the first place, literally everything you do on the internet is tracked by your ISP.

Infracted - Be civil to other posters
    Last edited by Dacien; 2012-11-20 at 04:05 PM.

Having mine installed a week from tomorrow. I'm getting the TV too.

Quote Originally Posted by openair View Post
    Yea, i think "catching up" is still correct. Kansas city is smaller than Korea, and is also only a tiny portion of the "U.S.", so as far as the "U.S." on average goes...
    Who cares about the US average? I got mine :P

Quote Originally Posted by Courierrawr View Post
    Fuck off, you never had any privacy on the internet in the first place, literally everything you do on the internet is tracked by your ISP.
    Yes but my ISP doesn't controll the worlds largest video library, searchengin and secondlargest social website

100x faster than average? So about 1000x faster than mine?

Deleted
    My ISP is deleting the data as soon as the law permits them to.

Not every ISP does this. Some smaller ones really don't give two shits.

---------- Post added 2012-11-19 at 09:50 PM ----------

They can do it without being your ISP. It's called "tracking cookies".

Maybe... but for 1000 Mbit/s internet I'll let them have access to my medical records.

Besides I'm pretty sure it's illegal to do what you're suggesting.

Google is a pretty damn good company.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but it's downright adorable you think that doesn't already happen.
    Last edited by cubby; 2012-11-20 at 04:09 AM.

Sarcasm on the internet
    The is there for a reason.

I don't particularly care about anonymity, I just wanted to add something to the topic that may fuel the discussion rather than leaving a blank statement.
    Well, don't care isn't actually true when I think about it, the faster /b/tards, anon, lulzsec or what they are called lose their anonymity the better. \o/

Anyway! I'm out for the night! Enjoy your stay ^_°
    Last edited by I-Thalos-I; 2012-11-20 at 04:06 AM. Reason: sleeping

Dear Google,

Please dethrone Bell and Rogers in Ontario.

Yours Truly,

A Potentially Loyal And Willing To Do Stuff For You Customer...Sex Stuff

How is that different then other 'multimillion dollar companies' tracking all your purchases via credit card/debit card/bank loans/credit score/social security number and then sending you customized rebate/mail/coupons tailored to what they think you'll need next? The last US election proved the existence of very comprehensive computer programs that can predict the likelihood you'll vote for someone based of where you live, what you buy and stuff.

OT: Really curious how fast this google internet will expand if proof of concept shows it to be financially and technically viable.

Please for the love of god come to Boston. Comcast has us all here by the balls I swear.

Sarcasm on the internet
    The is there for a reason.
    There's more to net sarcasm than sticking a random smiley face at the base of a post. Everything else you wrote didn't sound sarcastic at all, but very much like an atypical tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy theorist. :P

...if you were meant to be sarcastic... using Looooong words that are italicized also help a ton. Placing smileys RIGHT after a particular sentence also helps convey this ideology. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by madethisfor1post View Post
    Dear Google,

Please dethrone Bell and Rogers in Ontario.

Yours Truly,

A Potentially Loyal And Willing To Do Stuff For You Customer...Sex Stuff

Good luck with that one buddy. Canadian Telecomm companies are protected from any foreign competition that might force them to stop the price gouging bullshit, increase speed/coverage, or anything else that would bode well for the consumer.