Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    Seriously what's so special about this? Yeah, it's glassfiber so it's really fast. But they could make it even faster if they wanted to, the limitations aren't the wiring anymore but the computers themselves. If I understood correctly, glassfiber is a super-conductor which is able to transmit data at near light-speed. 1000Mbit/s is nothing compared to light-speed. But yeah, like I said the limitation is the computer and their chips right now.

Anyway, a large portion of my country is already using glass-fiber. They installed it before they knew it was such a good conducter, they installed it because it was the cheaper option back then. However, sadly it's just the main wiring, the house to house wiring isn't glassfiber yet. Because of that I'm stuck on 120Mbit/s currently. So yeah, I'm a little envious of 1000Mbit/s. I bet all new houses built will get glass-fiber right away though, and I hope they upgrade the old stuff soon because I like fast internet
    >Data bandwidth
    >Light Speed
    >Does not compute

The light speed you refer to, is what's known as your ping. It will likely reduce your ping by ~50% from regular copper (?) not sure what America currently uses, but regular cabling.

The bandwidth is exactly that. Band. Width. That's the size of the cable.
    Updating my signature from my WoD characters.

Yikes.

Probably better than you, probably also a casual these days. Go on, keep being elitist.

Quote Originally Posted by I-Thalos-I View Post
    Great! I always wanted a huge multimillion dollar company to have access to my browser history so that it can tune it's add system on youtube, google and whatnot even more towards "my needs"

Monopolizing the internet by offering cheap and fast internet due to removal of anonymity and shitton of addrevenue!

because there isn't thousands of adblocks available?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zillionhz View Post
    By fiber be purged

Quote Originally Posted by Jeavline View Post
    It has striking similarities to the Umbrella corporation from Resident evil , minus the zombie apocalypse.
    Minus the zombie apocalypse......for NOW!

/drool...

And here I am, with my 8MB ...

/yay!! >_<;

---------- Post added 2012-11-20 at 09:14 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jeavline View Post
    It has striking similarities to the Umbrella corporation from Resident evil , minus the zombie apocalypse.
    They already got zombies... people infront of computers for hours on end!

---------- Post added 2012-11-20 at 09:17 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    sadly it's just the main wiring, the house to house wiring isn't glassfiber yet. Because of that I'm stuck on 120Mbit/s currently
    omg, talk about being spoilt... I'd love to get 100mb :|

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    They already got zombies... people infront of computers for hours on end!
    Holy Shmoly, I think you're right!

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Thalos-I View Post
    Great! I always wanted a huge multimillion dollar company to have access to my browser history so that it can tune it's add system on youtube, google and whatnot even more towards "my needs"

Monopolizing the internet by offering cheap and fast internet due to removal of anonymity and shitton of addrevenue!

which also developed an adblock app for their browser

and don't sell their gadgets for an insane price :P

Good Guy Google
    Last edited by S7orm; 2012-11-20 at 09:46 AM.

A local utilities company in my city received federal grants to run fiber optic cabling throughout the city to "reduce power outages" among other things and then promptly started an internet / phone / tv service. They offer 1gig service for $300. or 100mb for 70.
    And all this since 2007 when they started running their line. Google is awesome but it seems like old news for me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Maybe... but for 1000 Mbit/s internet I'll let them have access to my medical records.
    Haha damn right! Heck I'll throw in my birth certificate and housekey in the deal as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxyra View Post
    >Data bandwidth
    >Light Speed
    >Does not compute

The light speed you refer to, is what's known as your ping. It will likely reduce your ping by ~50% from regular copper (?) not sure what America currently uses, but regular cabling.

The bandwidth is exactly that. Band. Width. That's the size of the cable.
    ehh what...i might not know too much on this subject, i only work on a major data/wireless network on the transport layer...but a a DS3 electrical cable (BNC copper) is bigger then a OC-48 fiber, and im almost pretty sure that the fibers for an OC3 all the way to a OC192 are the same size. time to read up on BLSR and DWDM granted

Deleted
    So is this with unlimited DL or is there some cap on it? Is it 1000/1000?

Also you would need some fast discs, either SSD or a raid setup, and DL at max speed a 2x7200rpm in Raid 0 will barely keep up and probably slow down your systems other functions quite significantly.
    Last edited by mmoc3eb006e951; 2012-11-20 at 12:02 PM.

Catching up? Pretty soon Kansas City is going to blow Korea out of the water in terms of speed. FIOS already offers up to 300 Mbit/s (albeit at stupid high prices).
    Such a rosy view. Finland has an average population density half of that of US, and still in the most rural areas we have the same selection of connection speeds than in the big cities. Peoples hiking lodges have connection speeds triple the speed of best availaible in large parts of USA. I'd also add that traffic limits pretty much do not exist.
    I admit that average population density might not be a perfect comparison in regards to costs and difficulty involved, but I'd say it's still close enough to not be enough of an excuse as to why the country is mostly 10 years behind. Of the companies have to draw double the amount of cable per customer here, on average, and still profit from them, why can't they do so on the other side of the pond?

Catching up? Pretty soon Kansas City is going to blow Korea out of the water in terms of speed. FIOS already offers up to 300 Mbit/s (albeit at stupid high prices).
    Not to rain on your parade Laize, because I'm glad to see it happening in the US, but we've had 1gb/s offers here since October of last year at the very least, there is probably at least half a dozen operators that offer it by now. Not cheap though, cheapeast deal I've seen was around $55/month from Bahnhof(think the company is owned by those who started Pirate Bay).

Got 100mbit/s atm, paying $20/month, don't really see the use for a 1gb/s connection atm.

Anyways, /clap hands

Good stuff.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Deleted
    Awesome... I pay £27 a month and receive a whopping 1.5mbit/s. Being in the countryside rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    Got 100mbit/s atm, paying $20/month, don't really see the use for a 1gb/s connection atm.
    You sure you got your USD -> SEK conversion right?

That's stupidly cheap even by Swedish standards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Anyone ever get the feeling that Google will ultimately control the planet one day?
    Their mission statement sort of pushes them in that direction, for sure. To organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful. Since in the modern world information is often power, yeah...
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowt View Post

I pay 199 SEK /month ($29)for my 100 mbit connection so it's very plausible he only pays 20. But that's probably because he has TV and cellphone sub with his Internet provider and therefor get special deal prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowt View Post

It's around 6.7 SEK per dollar now I think, it's a good deal.

Some offers I found looking around.

100mbit/10mbit

Alltele: 199 SEK/month
    Bahnhof: 155 SEK/month
    Bitcom: 184 SEK/month
    Bixia: 179 SEK/month
    Bredband2: 149 SEK/month
    Comhem: 229 SEK/month
    Net at Once: 159 SEK/month(We got this)
    T3: 179 SEK/month
    Tele 2: 249 SEK/month
    Tyfon: 163 SEK/month
    Universal telecom: 149 SEK/month
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrark View Post
    Google is based in Canada...
    Google has always been based out of California. They only have 3 offices in Canada.

http://www.google.com/about/company/facts/locations/
    Last edited by Dasffion; 2012-11-20 at 04:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    Google has always been based out of San Fransisco, CA. They only have 3 offices in Canada.

http://www.google.com/about/company/facts/locations/
    Closer to San Jose, really. They're in Mountain View.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Closer to San Jose, really. They're in Mountain View.
    Yeah, Just noticed that and updated my post