Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Your favourite Underated/Hated games/game series.

For me it's the Megaman Battle Networks.

Albeit more childish compared to how somewhat dark X was, I still found it fun when I was playing it in my teens. Most side quests, and even one point in BN3, give you items that you can use, or set amounts of money that you have to deliver to someone else. But if you give into temptation, or somehow lose the item they give you (most of the time they are battle chips that you can trade in for others), you have to go out and get another one to progress the side quests.

The combat isn't bad. It's good, but not amazing until you get into the later games. It's a breath of fresh air from the side scrollers IMO.
    I do like how the bosses actually have story's connected to them, rather than just heading into a giant robot fortress and killing a baddy without a reason, other than it's evil. The story's actually a bit dark, as the bad's intend to kill or hurt the world (they cause ovens to set on fire, try to suffocate people in a convention center, poison a town's water supply, (I think they caused a landslide on a IRL railway from the internet. Don't ask me how that works), etc).

Unfortunately, Starforce didn't live up to Battle Network

--------------------------
    Whats your favourite underated/hated game/game series?
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

For me, it was Too Human. I loved playing that game but never really understood the hate for it.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    Monster Hunter! Not very popular in the west. It's my favorite video game series of all time and we only get like 1/3 of the games Japan gets

Deleted
    Hmm. Not sure, really. I don't follow public opinion much on games through general discussion forums or news articles, so it's hard for me to say what is underrated. I can have a go though.

I don't think the Legacy Of Kain series gets anywhere near the hype it deserves. Compelling characters that are marvellously voice-acted and designed. An compelling story in a very interesting and immersive universe and an overarching theme of exploring the inevitability of fate. A motif I love.

And loads of people love Metal Gear, but not enough, in my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably Shadow Hearts. It wasn't "hated," per se (you kind of need some form of attention to be successfully hated), but the series was woefully underrated for sure.

Spec Ops: The Line. (We need more games like this in future)

Age of Mythology.
    Common sense seems to be that its just a "bad Age of Empires 2", but I loved all the mythological aspects and the game in general. Played lots of multiplayer with my friend(s).

Deleted
    Goblin commander on the PS2! i had a lot of fun playing that

Quote Originally Posted by Toccs View Post
    Spec Ops: The Line. (We need more games like this in future)
    Spec Ops: The Line is the fucking future of gaming, as far as I'm concerned. Utter genius.

As for me, I have two: one each for under rated and hated (I think).

Hated: Mirror's Edge. It tried something different and should be commended. Maybe it didn't work, but I enjoyed it a lot. I think a lot of people didn't though, so eh.

Under rated: Phantom Crash. Has anyone else even heard of it? Brilliant game, love it to bits. It's a shame that it crashes on any Xbox 360 though (was an Xbox game). =/

10+ Year Old Account
    Phantom Dust, for XBox.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    Probably Shadow Hearts. It wasn't "hated," per se (you kind of need some form of attention to be successfully hated), but the series was woefully underrated for sure.
    Beat me to it . Yup, I would say Shadow Hearts, hands down one of the best RPG's EVER made, but had the massive misfortune to be released in the same time as a Final Fantasy for BOTH of the first two games, the only time they DIDN'T release in the same month as a Final Fantasy was the third one, which was godawful and turned alot of people who hadn't played the first two off from the series.

To add another game to the list...

the Koei "Warriors" Franchise (Dynasty Warriors, Samurai Warriors and Warriors Orochi + numerous anime cash ins).
    I don't know why these games get as much flak as they do. I kid you not I read a review in a magazine for WO3 and they gave it 2/10 saying it was too repetitive and not different enough from the previous games... do you know what was on the VERY NEXT PAGE, a review for Pro Evo 2012..... and they gave it 8/10, how is Pro Evo any less repetitive that Warriors? Answer, it's not, but people seem to just hate Warriors games for no REAL reason.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

i like cod - popular and hated at the same time, kind of strange.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Definitely World of Warcraft. Everyone seems to hate it as time goes on but I just love it more. Something's wrong with them.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

15+ Year Old Account
    Lollipop Chainsaw and DeathSmiles.

Deleted
    Farcry 2 gets a lot of flak for valid reasons, but I loved it, most fun I'd had in a single player FPS since Half Life 2.

On the other side of things, Bastion is a game where I didn't see the appeal. After the initial interest with the narrater and art style, I found a dull repetitive clickfest so far up itself it only saw the sun when it yawned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spin86 View Post
    Age of Mythology.
    Common sense seems to be that its just a "bad Age of Empires 2", but I loved all the mythological aspects and the game in general. Played lots of multiplayer with my friend(s).
    love that game i recently tried to install on on my latest pc but it wouldnt let me so i installed AoEIII instead but ill try it again sometime

Quote Originally Posted by Achaman View Post
    love that game i recently tried to install on on my latest pc but it wouldnt let me so i installed AoEIII instead but ill try it again sometime
    As far as I remember, it installed and played without problems on Win 7.

Deleted
    The Matrix: Path of Neo.

I think it's a pretty underrated game, not sure, but I love it a lot. Need to play it again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tiny and Big: Grandpa's Leftovers. That game had so much potential.... I can't believe they didn't put in a level editor.
    I think that if it more people were interested in it, they would have continued development.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

monster rancher and digimon
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552