As a disclaimer - I've raided in the past... hell, I've raided a lot in the past. I've had 8/13 heroic bosses cleared with my own raid group back in the first Cata tier. However, I've stopped playing since then, and only came back last week. Needless to say, I'm assembling a raid group again, and I'm about to give the Vaults a try for the first time this Wednesday.
My gear isn't all that peachy right now (I'd show you my armory but since I just transferred and race changed, it didn't update yet), sitting at a mere 14.4k spell power some ~12% crit, ~5% haste, ~19% mastery + hit cap. The large amount of mastery is due to the crafted PvP gear that I currently sport. Please note that this is completely unbuffed, no Intellect and no Molten Armor.
What I am trying to figure out now are two things - my gear considered, would I benefit more from frost than fire? The general consensus that I am seeing is "frost beats fire at low gear", but that statement seems kind of fishy.
Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, I'd love to get a double check on my actual approach to fire gameplay. For all its cooldown juggling complexity, it strikes me as a relatively simple approach once one gets the hang of it:
- Evocate 9 seconds before the pull
- Apply mage bomb
- Start off with Pyroblast, then spam fireballs until Heating Up proc's
- Turn Heating Up into a Pyroblast! via Inferno Blast
- Pop all cooldowns, PoM & Alter Time
- Pyro (Hot Streak)
- Pyro (PoM)
- If I have heating up and Inferno Blast ready, hit another Inferno Blast and Pyro
- Alternatively to the previous one, if both previous Pyro's crit, there'd be another instant Pyro on its own
- If THAT Pyro Crits and I now have another Heating Up and Inferno Blast, shoot off yet another Pyro
- Pop Alter Time and repeat from step #5, popping as many Pyro's as possible, before hitting Combustion
Obviously through all that strive to maintain the Invocation buff and Mage Bomb (With the last tick being clipped in case of NT).
If you see anything wrong with that or if you can think of anything else that could prove helpful , please do share, I'd be much obliged. I'll also update this with an armory link, assuming said armory remembers to refresh once in a blue moon.