[BM] Chi Torpedo

Hi guys.

My BrM tank has just dinged 90, and I'm averaging iLvl 435 gear. Due to struggling to solo certain raids, I decided to go Chi Torpedo for extra self heals, and it's working very well - despite me not hearing the opposite anywhere.

I'm wondering if there's a downside to using it for solo content?

Deleted
    Extra self heal is not bad ofcourse. However I prefer to take Xuen as final tier talent. Xuen will taunt targets off you for about 45 seconds (as BrM) which will give you time to catch a breath. Besides he will boost your dps so the mobs will die faster.

Other downside I can think of is that you don't want to roll/torpedo while fighting certained bosses. perhaps if you get some better gear you dont need the extra selfheal Chi Torpedo provides. But to each his own

Eh...i use roll as what its supposed to be: Moving. Not always when i move i need healing and not always when i need healing i want to move.
    Imo they should have made Chi Torpedo MW only (sharing CD with roll not replacing it if they wanna stick to that idea) and give us another intresting lvl 90.
    Similar like warriors have the choice between 30sec, 1min or 3min DPS CD.
    Chi Torpedo just feels our of place in that Tier.

Chi torpedo scales nicely with our vengeance and will actually do a decent bit of healing on some fights. Elegon for example when you are moving with the Protector add we have the rest of the raid grouped up so I was often torpedoing into the pack like that. Alot of it can be overheal on most fights but you can often see 1-2 million healing done over the course of a fight where you are using it regularly.

The biggest issue I found with torpedo however is that unlike roll (which projects you forward at around 250% speed), torpedo makes you go at 300% speed. Each technique lasts the same amount of time so you can probably guess that with torpedo you travel further. Now if this is useful to you, then good. But I found on will of the emperor if i was close to the boss it could actually send me further than 15 yards away triggering magnetic armour, while roll puts me at a perfect distance when rolling through the boss while the combo is going on.

If you take celerity you can torpedo very frequently and in periods where you are not tanking you can use your vengeance to dash through your team mates a few times when you dont need to save the cooldown for movement.

Overall I think chi torpedo is far more interesting than most people realise as it does more than just add healing to roll, it completely changes the skill and the actual area of effect is quite reasonable to be able to hit a few people per use even if they are a bit spread.

For solo content sine that's what you asked about however I don't really think chi torpedo offers alot. Chi wave is amazing solo self healing already, and xuen with his taunt and damage can really make fighting harder mobs quicker and safer. Although for soloing i would just go windwalker to kill things faster and touch of karma is amazing for soloing old raids and you can still take xuen (although no taunt on the windwalker one) and use chi wave for excellent healing.

Quote Originally Posted by Psykewne View Post
    The biggest issue I found with torpedo however is that unlike roll (which projects you forward at around 250% speed), torpedo makes you go at 300% speed.
    If you hit the toggle run/walk button, chi torpedo does not increase your move speed. You spin, but barely move at all. Quite useful.

10+ Year Old Account
    I still think xuen would be better for soloing, since he can taunt a lot of stuff and does quite a lot of damage on his own. You have so much healing potential already.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreyo View Post
    If you hit the toggle run/walk button, chi torpedo does not increase your move speed. You spin, but barely move at all. Quite useful.
    That's the most useful and insightful comment I've heard on this forum about monks. So much room for creativity with this.

Healing elixirs for trash - Rushing Jade Wind for trash, and Xuen for the boss. It's cheap and easy to change talents, I change my talents very often depending on what I'm doing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivalen View Post
    Healing elixirs for trash - Rushing Jade Wind for trash, and Xuen for the boss. It's cheap and easy to change talents, I change my talents very often depending on what I'm doing.
    Pretty much what I do, Xuen for raiding bosses and HE+RJW for the rest of the week doing LFD/Daily's.

I don't bother with Chi Torpedo even knowing the "walk" trick, I use roll heavily in most fights for the movement aspect so I'd rather have the extra DPS and just get the fight over faster. If I have to take CP to keep us push us through a fight I'd say that is a failure on your healing team.
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.