GTX 550Ti vs GTX 660 OC

Hey!

I'm currenly running with The Club 3d GTX 550ti 3GB link: club-3d.com/index.php/products/reader.en/product/geforce-gtx-550ti.html[/url]

I'm thinking of upgrading to the ASUS GTX 660 2GB OC Link: asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA_Series/GTX660DC2O2GD5/#specifications[/url]

How much better is this?

FPS I get with my current card:

WoW In Orgrimmar (around 30)
    Battlefield 3 (Below 30)
    So the fps isn't that great.

Games I wanna run
    WoW, SC2, Firefall, Planetside 2, BF3 and other "High req Games"

Will the 660 be enough?

Please don't recommend me other cards. The budget is around the 660 (300$)

Thank you

Deleted
    What resolution are you running?

Well, you're comparing 2 different generation cards...

The 660 is sort of the all around great card to get if you don't want to go above and beyond and is from the most current generation of nvidia gpu's.
    The 550 is from the previous generation and was even then pretty much below standards. Even when it was current, people bought and reccomended a GTX 460 from the previous generation.

What I reccomend is go for the 660ti non overclocked version. This will perform very well in every game you listed and is likely cheaper than the overclocked version. You could then research and overclock (it's not that difficult) the ti and likely see better performance.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121653

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by googz View Post
    Well, you're comparing 2 different generation cards...

The 660 is sort of the all around great card to get if you don't want to go above and beyond and is from the most current generation of nvidia gpu's.
    The 550 is from the previous generation and was even then pretty much below standards. Even when it was current, people bought and reccomended a GTX 460 from the previous generation.

What I reccomend is go for the 660ti non overclocked version. This will perform very well in every game you listed and is likely cheaper than the overclocked version. You could then research and overclock (it's not that difficult) the ti and likely see better performance.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121653
    OP is looking at the 660, not the 660ti.

660 will perform a lot better than the 550ti. Altho i would also look at what AMD has to offer. I think the 7870 costs about the same and performs better in both games. The difference is not that big tho, so the 660 is a good choice. If you want to spend less, the 7850 is also a good choice, while offering the same performance. I think performance wise it is 7850 --> 660 --> 7870 (where the 7850 is the cheapest, and the 660/7870 cost about the same)

edit: my bad didnt see the 300 dollar part. The 660ti is fine
    Last edited by mmoc24391763c2; 2012-11-20 at 12:17 PM.

Deleted
    Don't underline everything you type.

Of the two definitely go with the GTX660 but as mentioned if you have $300 to spend a MSI HAWK 7870 GHz Edition, Gigabyte 7950, Gigabyte GTX660ti are all better choices.

Performance comparison: 660 vs 7950
    Performance comparison: 660 vs 660ti

Deleted
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814500269
    you should be set for quite some years. (zotac overclocks like the best and their cooling is also very good)
    also for wow a nvidia card works better.

I like how no one concretely answered his question and are recommending cards some $80 more expensive than the $220 660.

Anyways, 550 Ti vs 660. Survey says: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/541?vs=660 more than twice the performance.

At about $220, you have two options: 660 or 7870. In BF3 and WoW, the 7870 pulls ahead slightly with Catalyst 12.11 drivers. In SC2 the tables are turned, the 660 dominates the 7870.

You have to keep in mind that Nvidia's releasing the beta driver 310.33 soon. They also boast performance boosts so the $10 price difference of the 660 might actually be justified.

Here's an article published by Nvidia that boasts its performance increases with 310.33: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/art...ivers-released

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    I like how no one concretely answered his question and are recommending cards some $80 more expensive than the $220 660.

Anyways, 550 Ti vs 660. Survey says: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/541?vs=660 more than twice the performance.

At about $220, you have two options: 660 or 7870. In BF3 and WoW, the 7870 pulls ahead slightly with Catalyst 12.11 drivers. In SC2 the tables are turned, the 660 dominates the 7870.

You have to keep in mind that Nvidia's releasing the beta driver 310.33 soon. They also boast performance boosts so the $10 price difference of the 660 might actually be justified.

Here's an article published by Nvidia that boasts its performance increases with 310.33: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/art...ivers-released
    i don't see how you think previous posters did not show the difference between the two cards suffiently?
    also the guy got a budget no reason to not get him something at that price tag? ($80 below budget is whole different class of cards)
    yes a normal 660 loses sometimes to a 7870 but a 660Ti is on par with a 7950 (and even beats it quite often), compare the right thing instead of too far off the budget range tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    i don't see how you think previous posters did not show the difference between the two cards suffiently?
    also the guy got a budget no reason to not get him something at that price tag? ($80 below budget is whole different class of cards)
    yes a normal 660 loses sometimes to a 7870 but a 660Ti is on par with a 7950 (and even beats it quite often), compare the right thing instead of too far off the budget range tbh.
    All anyone said was that the 660 is better. Where as he asked "How much better is this?"

But he also said "Please don't recommend me other cards. The budget is around the 660 (300$)". There's a good chance that he lives somewhere that $300 means a 660 not 660 Ti. Probably why he said that "660 ($300)". In the US, 660s retail for $220-240 so our prices don't apply to him: http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#c=114&sort=a5

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Don't underline everything you type.
    Ye, well the idea was that the text got crossed or something. But im confused at the moment. He is saying the 660 is 300 dollars. So either he means the 660ti or it is just damn expensive where he lives.

Deleted
    All anyone said was that the 660 is better. Where as he asked "How much better is this?"

But he also said "Please don't recommend me other cards. The budget is around the 660 (300$)". There's a good chance that he lives somewhere that $300 means a 660 not 660 Ti. Probably why he said that "660 ($300)". In the US, 660s retail for $220-240 so our prices don't apply to him: http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#c=114&sort=a5
    our prices? (wished i even had close to the us prices for hardware xD)
    hold it there, guy asks for a product with a budget in dollars and we cannot assume he is from the states? (unless sig/profile/OP shows/tells differently)
    Also based the card more on him wanting to play high req games , combine that with the budget provided > voila zotac amp 660TI link appears

Also based the card more on him wanting to play high req games , combine that with the budget provided > voila zotac amp 660TI link appears
    He referred to the 660 as being $300, thats what leads us to believe that his prices are different. The 660 Ti might be 300 USD or 300 Euros for us but it could cost him $400.

Deleted
    I'd rather spend the money on a GTX 660ti. But Its not in your budget range so I'd say go for a GTX 660 OC. Much better than the 550ti

i know ya didnt want anther card but for your price range theres a way better

for 239$ at newegg this 2GB Radeon HD 7870 GHz will kill those to cards out of the water. nothing but good reviews.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...scrollFullInfo

it has alot of good review and it kills bf3 at ultra.
    Last edited by fireywrath; 2012-11-21 at 10:56 AM.

Deleted
    He referred to the 660 as being $300, thats what leads us to believe that his prices are different. The 660 Ti might be 300 USD or 300 Euros for us but it could cost him $400.
    if something like that, how about the OP would list it himself instead of assume for the sake of making trying to make a point?
    for all we know it could also be a local tech shop trying to rip him off with a 660 for that price.......
    Last edited by mmoce1d4ab16bc; 2012-11-20 at 05:07 PM.

if something like that, how about the OP would list it himself instead of assume for the sake of making trying to make a point?
    for all we know it could also be a local tech shop trying to rip him off with a 660 for that price.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Failadinh View Post
    Please don't recommend me other cards. The budget is around the 660 (300$)
    I made a fair assumption that everyone else ignored.

Deleted
    I made a fair assumption that everyone else ignored.
    could also be due to nvidia pref ? (this can go on for quite a while unless OP adds some more specifics)