Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    We can't really have a discussion based on feels.

Sure we can. We are having one right now.

After all, almost every forum discussion (not only here but most forums) are subjective in nature.

If we just have discussions on objective topics, well then we might as well not have forums because there wouldn't be any discussion.

I personally think if GW2 keeps chugging alon at this monthly content addition that Blizzard is going to sweat like a whore in church, because at that point their little illusion they spun on all their players that $15 a month is required for goo content would be shattered and the masses will begin to realize they've been fooled, which is never a good thing for the masses to figure out because that just leaves them with butt hurt rage!

That bein said, I think GW1 and GW2 are by far the best games to buy for gettin bang for your buck, I mean setiously, I've spent like 1-2years in GW1 and haven't even come close to completing everything I want, then GW2 hasn't even been out 3 months yet but it's keeping me thoroughly entertained an they're pumping out content faster then I go through it.
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

I highly doubt Blizzard are looking at Sunshine Island with sweat on their brow. Even more so that the millions of Warcraft players are looking at holiday events drooling "content..." on their lips.

And that is relevant because?

Because the poster above is asserting otherwise:

I personally think if GW2 keeps chugging alon at this monthly content addition that Blizzard is going to sweat like a whore in church, because at that point their little illusion they spun on all their players that $15 a month is required for goo content would be shattered and the masses will begin to realize they've been fooled, which is never a good thing for the masses to figure out because that just leaves them with butt hurt rage!
    Like, super unlikely. Mostly based on feels.

I have a lot of issues with WoW's content/cost ratio. I've complained about that before. Oh, and things like server transfers costing money is really silly as well.

But I will say this much...I *gladly* moved back to subscription games after my experiences in GW2. I feel like the F2P model works well in games like LoL, but I've found myself simply annoyed by F2P (or B2P before some pedant rushes in to correct me) MMO's so far.

I'm sort of the opposite. I won't touch a sub based game again. Tried mop for two days, quit that. I got the rift expansion, haven't played it since about 5 days after it released (nothing against those games, they just don't interest me anymore). The amount of content those games put out doesn't justify the sub model to me.

Yah, everyone's gonna have a different take on that topic, I'd imagine. I won't bother saying one is better than the other just for that reason. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I'm sort of the opposite. I won't touch a sub based game again. Tried mop for two days, quit that. I got the rift expansion, haven't played it since about 5 days after it released . The amount of content those games put out doesn't justify the sub model to me.
    Basically you are saying any content isn't worth paying $15 monthly for you. Fair enough. There are people who believe the price of new champions in League of Legends isn't "worth it" either.

Would I be wrong in assuming though you feel content monthly per $15 isn't worthwhile but content yearly via xpac is?

Well I'll just put it this way, Fencers. I feel a lot better about the a la carte method of content. I include expansions as that type of delivery. I suppose the biggest issue I have with subscription models is that I feel I'm just renting the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Basically you are saying any content isn't worth paying $15 monthly for you. Fair enough. There are people who believe the price of new champions in League of Legends isn't "worth it" either.

Would I be wrong in assuming though you feel content monthly per $15 isn't worthwhile but content yearly via xpac is?
    How about cost xpac + sub? When i played wow i paid for the xpac and sub, which amounted to around gw2 standard edition. This was only for 1 month access. What about gated content? They unlocked all pandaria raids nearly after 2 months, so for me to experience all the (initial) xpac content I had to pay for an xpac+sub+sub.

Maybe im nitpicking here but 1 year and and 9 months without content out of 3 years (ICC 1 year (gated content), and dragon soul 9 months), made me rethink the value of sub based games, that said the only MMO that truly deserve every penny is rift due to sheer amount of content.
    Last edited by xizzu; 2012-11-30 at 06:19 PM.

(ICC 1 year (gated content), and dragon soul 9 months)
    Blizzards' track record for end-of-expansion content isn't exactly a shining example of how to do it right, that's for sure. (At least WotLK had Halion added in near the end)

GW2 went live, 17 friends playing .. 1 month later .. 0 playing.

Probably nothing wrong with the game ...

Well I'll just put it this way, Fencers. I feel a lot better about the a la carte method of content. I include expansions as that type of delivery.
    Well, I prefer ala carte as well. But that's not really what I am driving at.

What interests me [it was a bit of a leading question originally] is if the value of content added at 15$/mo is seen as "not worth it"; does that make content added via $40 xpac "worth it" to you? And why?

Here maybe if I put it another way,

Let us assume Good Guy MMO are living up to their business model. Delivering a fair amount of content and features on regular monthly schedule at a basic cost of $15/mo. In roughly 2 1/2 months that's nearly $40 or $45 in 3 months.

Good Guy MMO delivered an xpac worth of content over 2 1/2-3 months for roughly the same cost as a $40-45 xpac, no?

I suppose the biggest issue I have with subscription models is that I feel I'm just renting the game.
    Well, its kind of like a lease. This is exactly why my sister does not play sub games; only F2P and Guild Wars 1/2.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Blizzards' track record for end-of-expansion content isn't exactly a shining example of how to do it right, that's for sure. (At least WotLK had Halion added in near the end)
    True they added Halion (which was a great fight imo especially in HM mode), but it was hardly anything tbh (not that the karka "mini expansion" island is exactly content), but yeah its still content.

I believe that lack of end of expansion content kinda screwed blizzard reputation, hell with cata and d3 blizzard are no longer a day 1 purchase for me and I've been a huge fan of them since The Lost Viking game.

I'm sort of the opposite. I won't touch a sub based game again. Tried mop for two days, quit that. I got the rift expansion, haven't played it since about 5 days after it released (nothing against those games, they just don't interest me anymore). The amount of content those games put out doesn't justify the sub model to me.
    Each to their own. I picked up the $60 GW2 digital release and dropped it after three weeks and had zero desire to play either of the two content patches since release. Now the $8.25 a month I pay for Rift seems like a hell of good deal to me. Huge content releases often and actual CS that is very in tune with the players, heck even their CM posts in the Rift forums on this site and they ask questions in game and update live in game if there's some server issues etc.

Just because you don't like Rift's play model doesn't make GW2 b2p a better choice. I understand for you maybe but many wow/rift/Eve players will disagree. I know what I get for my monthly fee and no cash shop purchases for me I pay for the service Trion gives me and it trumps Anet's by leaps and bounds imo.
    • PSN ID: Azuri118 •

Quote Originally Posted by Azerox View Post
    GW2 went live, 17 friends playing .. 1 month later .. 0 playing.

Probably nothing wrong with the game ...
    Its not everyone cup of tea thats all, and yes it does have some issues that they need to fix as soon as possible imo, because the MMO crowd ain't exactly patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post

Just because you don't like Rift's play model doesn't make GW2 b2p a better choice. I understand for you maybe but many wow/rift/Eve players will disagree. I know what I get for my monthly fee and no cash shop purchases for me I pay for the service Trion gives me and it trumps Anet's by leaps and bounds imo.
    I have nothing against the game, it just wasn't for me. The payment model doesn't really alter that although if there was no sub I'd most likely return every now and then. It sounds like you feel that same way towards GW2 and that's fine. I wasn't slamming the game but it just wasn't for me and the payment model is a part of that yes.

I believe that lack of end of expansion content kinda screwed blizzard reputation, hell with cata and d3 blizzard are no longer a day 1 purchase for me and I've been a huge fan of them since The Lost Viking game.
    It's a shame too, I LOVED Tier 11. Seemed like it all went downhill by Tier 13.