Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    It's a shame too, I LOVED Tier 11. Seemed like it all went downhill by Tier 13.
    Agreed T11 was amazing, sadly they changed philosophy or whatever (dude to the massive outcry on the forums imo) and everything went downhill from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I have nothing against the game, it just wasn't for me. The payment model doesn't really alter that although if there was no sub I'd most likely return every now and then. It sounds like you feel that same way towards GW2 and that's fine. I wasn't slamming the game but it just wasn't for me and the payment model is a part of that yes.
    I guess I worded it a little hostile. I understand the game may not be for you or others. I have seen other players try to validate their decision solely on the fact there is no sub which is so wrong. I play a game based on a few factors so even though GW2 has no more cost beyond the box and future xpacs I didn't enjoy anything PVE wise beyond the art in the game.

The sub game (Rift) for me is the clear better choice. I have no hate for GW2 and even though It won't cost me anything to play it right now I won't even give it the time of day now. I'm sure you're in the same boat for Rift which is cool with me.
    • PSN ID: Azuri118 •

GW2 hasnt added any real content yet, they've merely develloped their holiday events which they will recycle until the end of times, and called it a content patch.

According to that logic, WoW"s holiday events should be counted as content patches aswell when they were new.

Speaking of holiday events, couldnt GW2 come up with something original? Seriously? A guy with a pumpkin as a head as a boss, where have i seen that before.
    And hunting for candy corn?

Is their christmas event going to consist of saving reindeer and killing the Greench too?

Blizz releases a couple raids then goes 6 months without shit, happened both wotlk and cata. I don't quite remember how BC was even though I was there for it all, but their content output is slow as a fuckin snail. They are alright at first but then they just bring everything to a halt while making the next expac with some retarded shit like panda's or whatever. You aren't getting your moneys worth by a long shot. I imagine it won't be hard for ANet to defeat Blizzard in content output. GW2 is still newish, I don't even want an expansion for at least another 3 months.

Assuming I have the incentive to log in at all, totally based on ANets dodgy moves. They might pull another complete 180 who knows.

Right now for me, patches > content by far. They need to fix shit, not make more problems.

i haven't played GW2 in forever but it's a good game. i liked playing it, i just can't get into the lore of guild wars and i dunno, i had rather play skyrim. i really like TES lore, used to like wow's lore in the pre-butchering shit for money days, and never really got into gw

the game itself is nothing but good. i had no gripes about it at all. it looked amazing, was fun while i played it, liked crafting, etc.

second i heard about TESO it made me feel like spending time in wow or gw2 was a waste of time. felt like since i wasn't in it for the long haul, because the second TESO comes out i'm all on that permanently, that it was just a waste of time

i don't think NOT costing $15 a month is a problem, i don't think the game is a problem and i think it's done really well and will be around a long time just like guild wars was, i think MOSTLY people think less than 12,000,000 subs is a failure and NO mmo will EVER see that type of sub base again. wow peaked at 10,000,000 subs with a worldwide release in mop, if they can't do better than that nobody will and people are quitting in droves. i think 1-2 million subs is good and within 3 years, wow will be at that level with 5 or 6 other major MMOs

Quote Originally Posted by Trafalgarlaw View Post
    GW2 hasnt added any real content yet, they've merely develloped their holiday events which they will recycle until the end of times, and called it a content patch.
    Bear in mind the main content of Guild Wars 2 is cenetered on Dynamic Events and PVP.

Both patches so far did add dynamic events and PVP areas.

According to that logic, WoW"s holiday events should be counted as content patches aswell when they were new.
    Aren't they?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/730...ere-10_18_2012

^ Seems like a lot of content to me.

The wiki page for WoW's Halloween events is huge, there are guides for Halloween and seems to have content added progressively.

Speaking of holiday events, couldnt GW2 come up with something original? Seriously? A guy with a pumpkin as a head as a boss, where have i seen that before.
    And hunting for candy corn?
    Well, they have had this Halloween event since 2005-6ish. Fairly consistent with past installments of the franchise and comparable to contemporaries.

Not true!

For the Shadow of the Mad King they added the following permanent content:
    *50 New Dynamic Events
    *3 Jumping Puzzles
    *2 Mini-dungeons
    *New daily & monthly rewards
    *31 new achievements
    *New mini-game Costume Brawl
    *PvP paid tournaments
    *Costumes and miniatures
    In addition to the holiday only content which included a dungeon, the Clock Tower jumping puzzle, 2 pvp maps and a number of events and achievements.

For the Lost Shores patch they added the following permanent content:
    *New PvP map
    *New zone
    *2 Jumping Puzzles
    *New dungeon - Fractals of the Mists
    *New armor
    *New weapons
    *New recipes and mats
    *New group of NPCs - the Consortium
    *Miniatures
    *New events
    In addition to the patch launch only content which included 3 days of special events.
    Who knows more of gods than I? Horse gods and fire gods, gods made of gold with gemstone eyes, gods carved of cedar wood, gods chiseled into mountains, gods of empty air... I know them all.
    ~Euron "Crow's Eye" Greyjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Bear in mind the main content of Guild Wars 2 is cenetered on Dynamic Events and PVP.

Both patches so far did add dynamic events and PVP areas.

Aren't they?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/730...ere-10_18_2012

^ Seems like a lot of content to me.

The wiki page for WoW's Halloween events is huge, there are guides for Halloween and seems to have content added progressively.

Well, they have had this Halloween event since 2005-6ish. Fairly consistent with past installments of the franchise and comparable to contemporaries.
    Sorry, but i just dont consider "dynamic events" as content. They're nothing more than self triggered quests with sometimes an elite mob at the end.

You can take it like "dailies hub" in wow then .

Sorry, but i just dont consider "dynamic events" as content. They're nothing more than self triggered quests with sometimes an elite mob at the end.
    So you don't consider the main feature of PVE content to be content?

That's not a Guild Wars 2 issue. That's totally your own faulty perception.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Sure. Generally speaking, that is how B2P games function. Despite DLC being commonplace.

However, Guild Wars 2 is marketed as a B2P MMO directly in competition with other games of the genre such as World of Warcraft or The Old Republic. Further the developers of Guild Wars 2 have publicly stated they are going after World of Warcraft head on [Mike O'Brien, Forbes Magazine] and that their goal is to have more added content than any other MMO [Colin Johanson, Anet Blog].

Dead Space's designers didn't openly state they were going to beat Blizzard at the MMO game or that Dead Space was going to have more content than any other B2P game. Arena.net did.

It is within reason [and rightly so] for consumers to question the validity Guild Wars 2 in business model & content delivery.
    Honestly, MMO or not, people will play a game as long as it's entertaining for them.

If I play Halo, and after playing all the content, what exactly keeps me playing? The fact that I find the game enjoyable.

DLC's are like small expansions.. expansions you need to buy. That's like we would have to buy the Lost Shores DLC to be able to see that particular content.

Tomoko Eternal Life, Kilik Eternal Sun, Eira Frozen Hearted, Ashara Emberlight,
    Vuug The Deceiver, Grash Gravebuilder, Asgaut Divine Soul, Lera Dreamstealer

When I played WoW, I really only played WoW. It consumed so much time, and there was always something you could shovel even more time into.

GW2 let's me play when I want to because of the subscription-free model, and the monthly event updates (Halloween and Lost Shores) makes sure I come in at least sometime every month. I'm totally okay with that.
    Belief can become reality!

When I played WoW, I really only played WoW. It consumed so much time, and there was always something you could shovel even more time into.

GW2 let's me play when I want to because of the subscription-free model, and the monthly event updates (Halloween and Lost Shores) makes sure I come in at least sometime every month. I'm totally okay with that.
    I just don't get this logic. You can do the exact same thing in WoW, no one is FORCING you to gear up for raids or something. Not going to play for a month? Cancel the sub and don't pay. Want to ONLY show up for holiday events? Only sub for those months and just log on for them.

and there was always something you could shovel even more time into
    This specifically. "Stuff to do" is a strike against a game? I guess that's why people like GW2, since there's not much "stuff to do", eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I just don't get this logic. You can do the exact same thing in WoW, no one is FORCING you to gear up for raids or something. Not going to play for a month? Cancel the sub and don't pay. Want to ONLY show up for holiday events? Only sub for those months and just log on for them.

This specifically. "Stuff to do" is a strike against a game? I guess that's why people like GW2, since there's not much "stuff to do", eh?
    I'd actually disagree with you with the doing the same thing in WoW concept, because, well, it is fairly different.

First, no subscription fee, while some people disagree, to an extent, when you pay a monthly subscription for a game, many feel obligated to well, invest time into the game. With GW2 it doesn't really make them extra cash unless you buy cash shop items, but if you only login for content updates and mess around 2-3 times a month with the game, it isn't any issue money wise on your end.

Secondly, on the logic of you don't need to gear up for raids, if you want to see the raids, you had better damned be ready to gear up. Some people in dedicated PvP or raid guilds have to be around much more to prepare for the next tier or the like, GW2 generally, while you could argue the fractals (which the ascended gear is mostly self contained into fractals with agony resistance anyway) for the most part it's just going in to make a cool set or explore or the like. But your logic of not being forced into doing it, you could make that argument for -any- non-essential activity. You don't need to go to play either game if you don't want to. The simple logic is that you -don't- have to pay 15 dollars to see the new content, if you want to play, you can just pick it up and mess around for a few hours.

First, no subscription fee, while some people disagree, to an extent, when you pay a monthly subscription for a game, many feel obligated to well, invest time into the game. With GW2 it doesn't really make them extra cash unless you buy cash shop items, but if you only login for content updates and mess around 2-3 times a month with the game, it isn't any issue money wise on your end.
    Yep, like you said...that's purely on the player. If you feel compelled to log on X hours because you pay a sub and apparently cannot resist doing that for fear of...something...then yeah, just avoid sub games.

Secondly, on the logic of you don't need to gear up for raids, if you want to see the raids, you had better damned be ready to gear up.
    Sure, but you're comparing apples to oranges here. Raiding is not a requirement to playing WoW or Rift. You don't have to to it at all if you don't want to. GW2 doesn't have raids or even a robust set of endgame content, so to compare the two and by some Enron-esque accounting system put "Has raids" in the "negative" column for games like WoW and Rift is just strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Jim View Post
    Dude, 15$/month is not something that makes people not play an MMO. Unless you live in Somalia, 15$ is nothing. The fact that GW2 is f2p does nothing to bring in players if the game's quality doesn't meet current standards.

If GW2 had a sub, I'm fairly confident it would have had approximately the same amount of players.
    it's not about the money but more about the time...If I didn't had a work or if the day had 60 hours then probably I would be subscribed in 2-3 MMOs. Most people chose 1 game to play. Maybe 1-2 days a week they will also play another "free" game for some time but thats because it is free. They wouldn't pay for that because the time they play it doesn't worth the money. Personally I play all of the games and I always subscribe to one game each month, even to the free ones (swtor, Lotro, Aion). If Rift was free, I could play it 1 day a week for example to stay "in touch" and when I feel like I will subscribe for a month and make it my "main" MMO for that month. I know other doing the same as me.

As for GW2, I only played the first month...then I played lotro for its expansion, wow for a month and now I play swtor. GW2 is beautiful game with the best virtual world out there in pair with lotro and the most beautiful characters so far. Although it seems that the lack of trinity (I always play tank classes and love it) and the lack of gear progression didn't worked for me. At first I liked the idea and I adore everyone that got rid of the carrot, but it seems that I can't . Also I am not a pvp player so..only thing left for me is leveling characters, since I don't enjoy the dungeons with the lack of trinity as said before..probably I will return to level again, but for now I am leveling my Imperial Agent Operative and having a blast

EDIT: Also whats so much the discussion about added content and how fast they add content? Vanilla wow didn't had so much added content but people never drop it..TBC also had very few additions!now if they pass 2 months without a patch with content people are screaming..why is that?Is it because the content now is much more easier and people consume it very very fast? Is it the people became more and more demanding?Or both?I really do not remember posts during Vanilla/TBC of people asking more content or discussions about how fast content is released(I am talking about wow because that is the game I was playing back then) and bear in mind that there wasn't gating back then in the sense of daily rep farm. You could get the rep exalted as fast as you want but still people had many things to do..
    Last edited by papajohn4; 2012-12-03 at 09:22 AM.
    The trick of selling a PvP-MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.