Page 1 of 7
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Is LFR ruining the raid experience?

    I've been playing WoW since Vanilla, but I went on hiatus towards the first tier of raiding in Cata. Coming back at the tail end of the expansion, I was pretty surprised and excited about the introduction of LFR. It seemed like a wonderful way for a casual or returning player like myself to enjoy this new content.

    What I didn't realize or know, up until this expansion, was that LFR is released nearly the same time as the normal mode content! This does not sit well with me at all. It's not because I'm elitist. Rather, LFR is so darn faceroll, that you get to see all the content right off the bat... instead of having to work you tail off to make it to the next stage.

    My guild for example, while we're still working our way through finishing HoF, will now be face rolling our way through Terrace today in LFR... what the hell!

    Don't you remember that feeling seeing Rag the first time after weeks (months) of working your tail off? Neferian? Kel'Thuzad? Lich King? ... walking into his chamber, that rush of finally making it but knowing your battle isn't yet over. Then... that... final... kill. The rush is awesome, right? Well... now you get to see it in week 2, and facerollolol the boss while ignoring all his mechanics. WTF!

    Look... LFR has it's place. However, as far as I'm concerned, Blizzard is ruining the experience that raids had provided us. They should do one of two things (a) release LFR much later down the road OR (b) tune LFR to actually be difficult, where you MAY NOT actually finish it, then tune it down two months later


    Am I crazy?

  2. #2
    That feeling has been gone since TBC.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Secrecy View Post
    That feeling has been gone since TBC.
    It ended for me when toggled hardmodes were introduced in ToC. I love the Ulduar style hardmodes but despise the UI option to make monsters hit harder and drop shinier purples.

  4. #4
    No, its not. LFR saved Cata and its the only reason why millons havent unsub now with the new daily system wrecking people like a train.

    You see the layout and the bosses, but if you raid normal and heroic, you know you dont see the real fight in LFR.

    I have fun in LFR and then i have fun doing them in Normal/Heroic after that. Its not the same experience, i dont expect them to be either.

    The two options you give would actually kill LFR, and that's bad for the game.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehdi View Post
    Am I crazy?
    No, it's just your opinion - your preference. People have different tastes, like different things. If LFR ruins the normal/heroic experience for you, then don't do lfr.

    I really don't understand why everyone thinks that all people feel just like them about everything. A lot of people like cheese, I don't like cheese. Do I think everyone should stop eating cheese? Should we ban cheese? NO. I just don't eat cheese. Simple. I understand that most people like cheese, and I'm fine with that.

    There's a lot of stuff to do in WoW now. Do the things you like. Don't do it if you don't like it.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehdi View Post
    Am I crazy?
    No, you're nostalgic and it's clouding your view.

    Is doing something in the simplest way possible rewarding for you?

    There's no right / wrong answer to that by the way, it's personal preference, you pick what works for you and run with it.

    What you can't do is choose to do things the easiest way and then bash the game with your choice....that's silly.

    LFR and Normal are apples and oranges when it comes to comparisons, yes you can see the content with LFR but if your capable of more you're only cheating yourself out of that 'YES!! HE'S DEAD!!' experience.
    "The fact that you don't get it or like it is fine. The fact that you wanna ruin it for everyone else - that's why you're a cocksucker." - Bill Hicks
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    The playerbase has been desiring this for years and when it's finally here, everyone wants to grab a pitchfork. Ridiculous. This community is disgustingly toxic.
    Please send all PM's with a read receipt, that way both you and I will know I'm not reading them....

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehdi View Post
    Don't you remember that feeling seeing Rag the first time after weeks (months) of working your tail off? Neferian? Kel'Thuzad? Lich King? ... walking into his chamber, that rush of finally making it but knowing your battle isn't yet over. Then... that... final... kill. The rush is awesome, right? Well... now you get to see it in week 2, and facerollolol the boss while ignoring all his mechanics. WTF!
    Seeing? No, never. Killing yes, and I can separate each difficulty into its own experience, where the High from killing ranks as HM>normal>LFR. Killing a boss in LFR before say normal or HM does not detract from anything, but killing HM first does =P
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Laurellin - Deathknight

  8. #8
    LFR is just something Blizzard made for ppl that cant raid at raid times that arnt part of a good raiding guild and for ppl that are just casual players

    LFR is also just a basic of what the raids are look like its like 50% easyer than normal mode

    LFR is just providing those who dont got the skill nor the time to properly raid

    and tbh why are u doing LFR if ur in a good raiding guild prob cos u want those free epics aswell right cos thats what it is if ur lucky

  9. #9
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    72
    No it's not ruining the raiding experience, it really exists outside of it.

    If you're in a guild that has organised raid groups, LFR is pretty irrelevant to your gaming. Sure, you might feel compelled to go there for short term upgrades, but it's in no way necessary or part of the normal progression path.

    I don't see how the ease of LFR can have any impact on a normal/heroic raider, who cares if others are facerolling that content - it doesn't have any effect on your progress or enjoyment of the game. If it *does* then I'd respectfully suggest MMORPGs are not really for you.

  10. #10
    I remember raiding in TBC and kills like Archimonde and Illidan were posted on the realm forums and it was a big deal and stuff, I remember being in the realm second kill of Illidan, first for alliance and I remember how that felt... I haven't really had that feeling in a long time. I don't really raid anymore, I'm a great player and I always have been but I just dick around on WoW in my free time or when I'm bored. That being said, I enjoy screwing around in LFR, seeing the raid content, and I'm happy with that. It's not all idiots and bad players.

    No one is forcing you to do LFR, so why should it ruin anything? Why complain, because you can? If you raid normals, that means you'll raid heroics, and when the new tiers are released, you won't do LFR, you'll have heroic gear or normal gear that's better than LFR loot, so again not only are you not forced to do them as a raider but you're not gunna want to because of ilvl.

    My guild for example, while we're still working our way through finishing HoF, will now be face rolling our way through Terrace today in LFR... what the hell!
    I mean if your argument is oh, I can kill this boss on LFR difficulty so why kill it on normal or heroic! well, tbh that's a really stupid argument and I don't feel like getting into it.

  11. #11
    I am Murloc! Volitar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Victory Road.
    Posts
    5,238
    Honestly I feel like it is. Fighting loot pinatas sort of takes away the epic feel of downing a boss.

  12. #12
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehdi View Post
    OR (b) tune LFR to actually be difficult, where you MAY NOT actually finish it, then tune it down two months later?
    They already do this with normal and heroic raids, which doesn't really help people who aren't part of an organised raid group/guild.

  13. #13
    LFR lets you see the content but it is in fact easier or on par with running a heroic dungeon.

    For me personally i still feel that sense of accomplishment killing the boss in Normal and Heroic even though i have already seen it in LFR, because i get the sense for doing something hard or semi-hard along with 9/24 other people, rather than just from seeing the boss fall over and die with no effort put forth.

  14. #14
    My raiding experience feels fine. I enjoy running LFR with my girlfriend and guildmates. I also enjoy "real" raiding with my actual raid group. They're two great tastes and I don't feel either one dampens the other.

    3DS Friendcode: 0705 - 3279 - 0173
    Add me for Pokemon / Bravely Default
    Trainer Name: Bazlyn

  15. #15
    Not making it better for sure. Its like reading the movie screenplay and watching most interesting parts from it before going to cinema.

    I do understand that for most people LFR is the only option.

    But the problem is that it is mandatory for hardcore/semihardcore raiders to raid LFR to get gear. You don't have an option to skip LFR.

    I think that all raid difficulties should have the same lockout, and by doing normal/heroic mode raids you should be rewarded with something valuable, like increased valor cap so you can keep your gear on par with people who raid LFR.
    Last edited by traen; 2012-11-20 at 03:53 PM.

  16. #16
    But LFR comes one week after normal modes so we have already seen all content when LFR is released.
    Also. thousands of people saw all content in the beta already.
    For me tho. All raid content have not been seen until you see the heroic version of it.

  17. #17
    Scarab Lord Azutael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    4,812
    I gave up raiding sometime in TBC, and I was very casual already then (almost quit in TBC). It became to time consuming for me anyway. And finding the right guild was a nightmare, so I just decided to stop raiding. Other than pug's from time to time.

    And now I do LFR once a week, suits me perfectly. I get to see the raids (even though you don't really get a raid experience, as LFR is so easy). But still it's a way of progression for my character that's convenient since I do not raid otherwise.

    If I get the time to raid properly again, and find the right guild. I'm sure I would start raiding again, at least on normal.

  18. #18
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    762
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehdi View Post
    I've been playing WoW since Vanilla, but I went on hiatus towards the first tier of raiding in Cata. Coming back at the tail end of the expansion, I was pretty surprised and excited about the introduction of LFR. It seemed like a wonderful way for a casual or returning player like myself to enjoy this new content.

    What I didn't realize or know, up until this expansion, was that LFR is released nearly the same time as the normal mode content! This does not sit well with me at all. It's not because I'm elitist. Rather, LFR is so darn faceroll, that you get to see all the content right off the bat... instead of having to work you tail off to make it to the next stage.

    My guild for example, while we're still working our way through finishing HoF, will now be face rolling our way through Terrace today in LFR... what the hell!

    Don't you remember that feeling seeing Rag the first time after weeks (months) of working your tail off? Neferian? Kel'Thuzad? Lich King? ... walking into his chamber, that rush of finally making it but knowing your battle isn't yet over. Then... that... final... kill. The rush is awesome, right? Well... now you get to see it in week 2, and facerollolol the boss while ignoring all his mechanics. WTF!

    Look... LFR has it's place. However, as far as I'm concerned, Blizzard is ruining the experience that raids had provided us. They should do one of two things (a) release LFR much later down the road OR (b) tune LFR to actually be difficult, where you MAY NOT actually finish it, then tune it down two months later


    Am I crazy?
    LFR is NOT for you my friend. Don't do it and you won't ruin the surprise of seeing the content as you clear normal and heroic bosses.
    LFR was designed for the 9x% of WoW players that have no hope of seeing the content while it is still relevant.

    It is not designed for raiders, it is not mandatory but it is a nice way to help round out your tier sets if you are unlucky with raid drops.

    That is all.

    /thread
    A living Warlock = a dead everyone else

  19. #19
    If LFR is spoiling the experience of seeing the raid for the first time, DON'T DO IT. Simple as that.

  20. #20
    i think the problem is people think LFR is raiding.

    Its a glorified LFD. That is all.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •