Thread: Garalon Spec?

Question Garalon Spec?

I'm currently doing 25 N Garalon and my raid leader is wanting me to pick my dps up a bit. Normally before I have to kite the boss i'm sitting around 75k to 80k but after i'm struggling to get back above 60k which is around 14th on dps. Since i'm normally one of the top dps on any fight he's definitely not happy about me being around the bottom. Both our locks raid as affliction. Would switching to demo be a huge boost in dps?

Stay Affliction, Do you have logs that we could look at? It's hard to tell what you're doing wrong with nothing to go on. If you do, I would recommend posting in the "help my dps" thread in the stickies, You are liable to get better answers there.
    Cyner#1996

Locks arent particulary good on Garalon, legs die to fast for Demo Dots to do any proper damage, same for aff. A demo lock could stay on legs and take advantage of the buff by using meta and ToC, and at 5.1 aff with KJC should be good there

Imo its one of those fights that we as Locks our job there is to kite pheromones and be support DPS, melee cleavers and fire mages with combustion do the bulk of the damage there.

Both afflic and demo are okay for garalon, i play demo myself. I rank #16 world of logs for demo.
    Both are good, afflic is probably easier to pull high dps on, just turret dot and take KJC to run into green circles.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    My problem as a kiter on this fight is relearning how to cast (using keybinds) while simultaneously strafing and backing up. It is almost as if this fight rewards mouse clickers if you are kiting the boss.

I am thinking about facing away from the boss, since our dots will still hit Garalon/his legs and I can then take advantage of moving/strafing with my mouse.

Any advice for the less-than-dexterous fingered among us Warlocks?
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

10+ Year Old Account
    Affliction if you are kiting for sure.

And make sure to grab KJC. You will lose a little dps for sure. But it will make you a hell of a lot more comfortable and therefore able to do the rotation properly while kiting.

82k was my best attempt I think, which is more then enough if everyone who is not kiting the boss is pulling their weight.

i'd played both affli and demo.....well despite kiting the dmg is quite ok but in this fight other classes are superior.
    as demo i had 75k and as affli 82k...something like that.

mostly i dot the legs and stay on garalon...that's all we can do

Deleted
    If you have the right to DPS the legs (casters normally aren't allowed to do it in our guild's strategy ~~) Destruction is very powerful on this one.
    Last edited by mmoc8b57eca00f; 2012-11-21 at 11:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zumzumzum View Post
    If you have the right to DPS the legs (casters normally aren't allowed to do it in our guild's strategy ~~) Destruction is very powerful on this one.
    Do the legs give back embers from shadowburn?

Deleted
    Do the legs give back embers from shadowburn?
    Nope that would be too nice -_-

If you have to stay only on boss, Demo isn't half bad. HoG seems to be able to cleave legs passively for extra fury. And would be best spec to kite with, provided you pool fury before your turn.

I also kite as affliction, and I basically gave up on DPS while kiting (since it was our first kill, prioritizing stability), and just focused on not letting the DoTs drop off Garalon, with extra bonus of DoTing the frontal legs.

Assuming you're not the first in kite order, your initial DPS seems a little low. My initial burst peaks at around 400k and slowly go down, so when I start kiting I'm hovering around 120-130k DPS. What I do is to go in the dmg buff circle to dot up 3 of the 4 legs (the remaining leg gets non-boosted dots) while also dotting Garalon himself and directing Doomguard on him as well. With everything popped you will easily get 200k+ DPS sustained when the 4 legs die, even more if you can stay in circles longer and channel MG. Use the time you're running between circles to cast CoE and also to dot Garalon.

Also remember not to re-apply dots on the legs from outside the circle unless you know your new dots are just as strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Xami View Post
    I also kite as affliction, and I basically gave up on DPS while kiting (since it was our first kill, prioritizing stability), and just focused on not letting the DoTs drop off Garalon, with extra bonus of DoTing the frontal legs.

Assuming you're not the first in kite order, your initial DPS seems a little low. My initial burst peaks at around 400k and slowly go down, so when I start kiting I'm hovering around 120-130k DPS. What I do is to go in the dmg buff circle to dot up 3 of the 4 legs (the remaining leg gets non-boosted dots) while also dotting Garalon himself and directing Doomguard on him as well. With everything popped you will easily get 200k+ DPS sustained when the 4 legs die, even more if you can stay in circles longer and channel MG. Use the time you're running between circles to cast CoE and also to dot Garalon.

Also remember not to re-apply dots on the legs from outside the circle unless you know your new dots are just as strong.
    Right....

Anyway. If you have enough melee for legs, your job is to just stay on the boss, DO NOT touch the legs (it will be worthless extra dmg for yourself at the cost of raid dmg).
    Kiting, you just keep your target and keep dots up, spam MG (use KJC ofc) constantly.

With all this said and done, if you are above ANY1 but boomkin/SP/other locks, they are doing something wrong. This is the worst possible fight for warlocks. At least if you are doing it the right way.
    "DPS is science, healing is art, tanking is strategy."

For some reason I am doing more damage using supremacy instead of sacrifice. I use the voidlord, take KC for some easy moving since I am one of the kiters. My best right now is 85k without going in the circles to get the buff a lot (warrior solos so we have higher uptime on the boss itself). Will test more and see what happens with other melee pets. Oh and also sacrificial pact is really good when you get the pheromones buff. No damage at all from paddles or crush during the stun.

This is 10m, but we 3 heal 7 dps it, 2 heals and 2 range dps do the kiting. I get to soak cleave as affl with gosac and soullink or demo with with Dark Apotheosis and Manoroth's Fury. Can't remember what I did as affl this way, but as demo only pulled about 65k, which was okay because it allowed are other soaker(warrior) to go crazy on legs.

If you do this as demo pick up MF to hit legs with Immo aura.