View Poll Results: How much longer for the human species?

Voters
387. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never. We will eventually send our species to reproduce to other habital planets.

125 32.30%
  • At least a billion years

14 3.62%
  • millions of years

61 15.76%
  • 1000 years give or take

63 16.28%
  • Several hundred years

47 12.14%
  • less than a 100 years

18 4.65%
  • in a few decades

16 4.13%
  • December, 21 2012

43 11.11%
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Tomorrow, but it's just wishful thinking unless I can get some help from fellow robots.
    This house is full of hate. This house is full of madness. This house is deep insane. This house...was never mine.

What's going on with the entire December 21 2012? Mayans never predicted the end, it's a lie, all they "predicted", if you still want to call it that way, is a CHANGE, which they totally were correct about...

I mean, get it straight already... it's a freaking mass media disinformation, just as 90% of things they actually say.

Quote Originally Posted by Rurumiki View Post
    I was kind of thinking we'd run out of resources to sustain ourselves.
    This is really a non-issue, for now. The asteroid belt has all the metals we can need for a long long while. Venus has carbon to synthesize our food if we decide that we want to reduce our biosphere consumption. And energy? The solar energy our planet receives is huge. And it comes in many flavours: straight solar radiation, wind, sea currents...
    So no, we are not running out of resources any time soon. We just will have to re-adapt our industry to harvest those sources instead of just bore a hole in the ground and get oil.

But back on topic, I think the most realistic thing to happen would be running out of clean air, clean water, or food.
    Again this surely is a problem even now. The more serious it will become, the more likely there will be multinational efforts to clean our air/water/food. The technology is available, but implementing it is more costly, apparently, than just bearing with the dirt. It will not be forever like that.

Are they real problems? of course they are. They will surely diminish, temporarily, our quality of life. But they are not a threat of extinction, not even a threat to our civilization. They can be dealt with... expensively, but they can be, and they will be when there's no other choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Eventually since our sun won't last forever we just about have to unless we invent faster than light travel(a) that a human can survive in(b). Even the first is still way out of our league.
    We don't need at all FTL. We only need spaceships with sustainable environments. Or we just need to travel at speeds close enough to the speed of light so the crew of the spaceship will only experience a fraction of the time wasted as seen by a reference frame at rest. This would make for subjectively short trips.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Technically the species Homo Sapien will go extinct. Either we all die or we evolve.
    This. I have a morbid curioustity about how our species will meet its end. Or, if homo sapiens sapiens does not die out, I'm also super curious what the next incarnation will look like. So many questions we'll never have answers to...

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    What's going on with the entire December 21 2012? Mayans never predicted the end, it's a lie, all they "predicted", if you still want to call it that way, is a CHANGE, which they totally were correct about...

I mean, get it straight already... it's a freaking mass media disinformation, just as 90% of things they actually say.
    Technically, they did not predict anything at all.
    It's just the start of a new b'ak'tun, a new time period if you will.
    It will start yet again from 13.0.0.0.0, emerging the 14th b'ak'tun according to the Mayans.
    One B'ak'tun is 144,000 days, which equals about 394.5 years.
    One B'ak'tun is 20 K'atun, which again is 20 Tun.
    Since it's the 14th (since they start from 0), this means that the Mayan would think that the first B'ak'tun started approximately 5523.2 years ago.

I may be wrong in my calculations, but anyhow, that's all there is to it. It's just a change of calendar.

Edit:
    Right, did something wrong already. Was a bit to hasty on my calculator, but I have corrected the mistake.
    Last edited by Benitora; 2012-11-22 at 10:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabby
    I'm Commander Crabby, and this is my favorite forum on the website.

when we're all dead.
    "I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying."

Woody Allen

Not in the near future. A lot of people somehow believe that life on earth will end within their lifespan. Unless a comet hits us, I don't think that's gonna happen. Let me ask this question. Why should we go extinct?

Quote Originally Posted by raintrees View Post
    honestly with how fucking retarded we are as a whole, im sure we'll be our own demise alot sooner than most people think.
    This. I give the human race approx 100 more years. If a radical rethinking process does not happen, we're toast as a civilization. Extinction however would require some outside influence.
    Last edited by Granyala; 2012-11-22 at 10:49 AM.

Ifalna Sha'yoko on Twitter and Armory - Occasionally unfaithful to WoW with my Adorable Miqo'te - (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━ ┻

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    This. I give the human race approx 100 more years. If a radical rethinking process does not happen, we're toast as a civilization. Extinction however would require some outside influence.
    Yeah humanity was so "fucking retarded as a whole" that we managed to get where we are now. Inventing things like, you know, the computer you're using right now. Why would we go extinct in the next hundred years? Our population numbers are continually rising.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    We're talking about extinction here, not the collapse of human civilization. Humans have been around longer than civilization has.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    "And nothing was ever heard from Deca again"

Probably 200-500 years

---------- Post added 2012-11-22 at 08:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    Not in the near future. A lot of people somehow believe that life on earth will end within their lifespan. Unless a comet hits us, I don't think that's gonna happen. Let me ask this question. Why should we go extinct?
    Because extinction is cool

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post

wanna chill it with the fonts? it was a choice for the trolls

When this takes place, we could survive though! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Androme..._Way_collision

Quote Originally Posted by bigfootbigd View Post
    wanna chill it with the fonts? it was a choice for the trolls
    Different fonts are awesome, though!(Sorry, I got bored).

We will end up exterminating ourselves with nuclear warfare

I'm wondering: Will we still be homo sapiens sapiens should we go extinct in let's say 100 million years? Will we still be homo sapiens sapiens by that time, if evolution has changed our physique? Just look at how much evolution has changed species the last 100 million years.

Quote Originally Posted by Taters91 View Post
    When this takes place, we could survive though! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Androme..._Way_collision
    4 billions years? I think you skipped some key points in the article:

"Without intervention, by the time that the two galaxies collide, the surface of the Earth will have already become far too hot for liquid water to exist, ending all terrestrial life, which is currently estimated to occur in about 1.4 billion years due to gradually increasing luminosity of the Sun."

We'll be dead way before then if we somehow manage to never leave this rock and manage to survive for 1.4 billion years.

"Such an event would have no adverse effect on the system and chances of any sort of disturbance to the Sun or planets themselves may be remote."

Assuming we somehow manage to stay in stagnation for 1.4 billion years and never leave the solar system and we manage to survive the sun going kaboom (if we managed to survive that, we'd have the technology to get off the planet in the first place, but let's ignore that), we'd still be fine, because our solar system wouldn't feel and adverse effect.

When our sun ends or when the Milky Way and Andromeda collide (By that time Earth will not be able to support human life regardless). But, then again, I'm sure we will have moved to another life supporting planet. The human race will go on for a very, very, very long time. I see us ending when the Universe expands so far that it destroys everything else.
    Last edited by Winter Blossom; 2012-11-22 at 06:14 PM.

Our sun's expiration date is roughy a billion years.

I don't see anything killing us before that, except maybe the off-chance of getting hit by two major disasters in a row. Something like a nuclear war leaving us too crippled to prevent an asteroid from hitting our planet. Other than that we're too resilient and there's too many of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Celticmoon View Post
    When our sun ends or when the Milky Way and Andromeda collide. But, then again, I'm sure we will have moved to another life supporting planet. The human race will go on for a very, very, very long time. I see us ending when the Universe expands so far that it destroys everything else.
    See my above post concerning the collision between the Milky Way and the Andromeda galaxies.

Personally, I believe that if we survive the 1.4 billion years for our sun to die, we'll likely have already left the solar system or figured something else out to divert our extinction. So, we'll either go extinct way before our sun die, or much much much after.