Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Google made a video promoting writing to governments about not censoring the internet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-lwA...ature=g-high-u

https://www.google.com/takeaction/

“A free and open world depends on a free and open Internet. Governments alone, working behind closed doors, should not direct its future. The billions of people around the globe who use the Internet should have a voice.”

A free and open world depends on a free and open Internet.

The Internet empowers everyone — anyone can speak, create, learn, and share. It is controlled by no one — no single organization, individual, or government. It connects the world. Today, more than two billion people are online — about a third of the planet.

But not all governments support the free and open Internet.

There is a growing backlash on Internet freedom. Forty-two countries filter and censor content. In just the last two years, governments have enacted 19 new laws threatening online free expression.

Some of these governments are trying to use a closed-door meeting in December to regulate the Internet.

The International Telecommunication Union (ITU) is bringing together regulators from around the world to re-negotiate a decades-old communications treaty.

Proposed changes to the treaty could increase censorship and threaten innovation.

Some proposals could permit governments to censor legitimate speech — or even allow them to cut off Internet access.

Other proposals would require services like YouTube, Facebook, and Skype to pay new tolls in order to reach people across borders. This could limit access to information — particularly in emerging markets.

The ITU is the wrong place to make decisions about the future of the Internet.

Only governments have a voice at the ITU. This includes governments that do not support a free and open Internet. Engineers, companies, and people that build and use the web have no vote.

The ITU is also secretive. The treaty conference and proposals are confidential.

Internet policy should work like the Internet — open and inclusive.

Governments alone should not determine the future of the Internet. The billions of people around the globe that use the Internet, and the experts that build and maintain it, should be included.

For example, at the Internet Governance Forum, anyone can attend and anyone can speak — a government official has the same influence as an individual.

People around the world are standing up for freedom.

Users, experts and organizations from around the world have voiced their opposition to governments regulating the Internet through the ITU.
    Last edited by This name sucks; 2012-11-21 at 12:51 AM.

Deleted
    Please, if you're making a thread, post more than just a link, everyone appreciates that you would just put more info in there instead of just a link, pretty please!

OT: I think this is a good idea, if what Google wants to do is put videos like that when you go on Google maps, is that it? I don't even know, the OP doesn't have much info. <.<

I think more people (especially young people) SHOULD be more involved in their government.

I already write my representatives in Congress a couple times a year and it's almost always about either NASA or the internet.

I'm happy that, come December, the United States will be standing in defiance of much of the rest of the world's desire for increased control of the internet though there are forces threatening that stance from within.

Google never ceases to amaze me.

Cute idea. Not that it really does anything but still cute.

Quote Originally Posted by whoranzone View Post
    If people write their governments it will do something.

The incentive of "I won't vote for you" is actually pretty strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    The incentive of "I won't vote for you" is actually pretty strong.
    I guess that depends on where you are living.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess that depends on where you are living.
    In democratic countries, it does matter A LOT.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by N-7 View Post
    "If voting really mattered they would never let us do it"

Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    "If voting really mattered they would never let us do it"
    The law says otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by N-7 View Post
    Not really. Being able to vote doesn't necessarily translate to having a choice.
    Last edited by cFortyfive; 2012-11-21 at 07:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really. Being able to vote doesn't necessarily translate to having a choice.
    One person's vote doesn't matter, many votes does.

I love google, seriously man. What a company, they practically own the internet, you can't really use the internet today without in some way going through google. Yet they STILL want the net to be completely free and open. That, my friends, is a model company. Go google.

Deleted
    *sarcasm mode on*
    Yeah, that will help.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    I think more people (especially young people) SHOULD be more involved in their government.
    Fully agree with this, just get involved, not sure how it works in other countries, but you can become part of the youth organizations for political parties here at an early age if you want to.

Some examples, my aunt has been involved in politics her entire life, longtime parliament member(for the liberal party, center-right party), she is Governor for one of the provinces since a few years back now though, she is really just a normal person, chill as hell, she spends her vacation tanning and reading crosswords!

Seems like the US Ambassador liked her to!
    While entering the city I was able to see the beautiful vision of two of Sweden’s great natural waterways; the 500km long Klara River and the mighty Lake Vänern. As a true nature lover, I am always awe-struck by the unvarnished, almost wild beauty of the Swedish landscape.

Upon arrival, I was Greeted by both the Mayor, Per-Samuel Nilsson and the Governor of Värmland, Eva Eriksson, who demonstrated what I have heard so frequently about Karlstad: that the people are exceedingly warm, welcoming and hospitable.
    A girl friend, sat in the local council in our municipal for the green party all throughout her years of education(Biotech), good way to earn extra cash to! A buddy from the Gymnasium years(I went to pretty good school so yes there was quite a few "privileged kids", I was the one that leaned furthest to the political left in my entire class ;P)is one of the leading young politicians for the "conservative" party, the moderates(and head chair man for the pro-monarchism organization hehe), his dad is a career politician as well(also very conservative) so I guess that came natural. He was a full blown hardcore conservative back then as well, he's always been a cool guy though, eventhough I quite harshly disagree with some of his views!

Ah, great photo of the man, ducklips galore. haha!

This is a more normal shot.

inc slimeball comments!

Anyways, I mention this because, or bring these people up, because these are 3 people I know fairly well, normal people all of them, that have, or have had political positions at one level or another, so if you feel like you don't get represented properly by the people in power, take it into your own hands, get involved. I realize that it can be harder in other countries, but any Swedes reading this, get off your bloody asses and get involved if you don't like what they do. It's not impossible in any way.

btw I'm all for a free internet, but it's also the perfect way for the worst scum of the world to create networks, pedophiles, terrorists etc, we can't let people like that do whatever they feel like.
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2012-11-21 at 04:05 PM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

10+ Year Old Account
    I generally support a free and open internet, but only insofar as it's not being used to do illegal things, like copyright infringement. I support closing down sites like ThePirateBay and similar things. That's not really censorship, but rather enforcing copyright law.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I consider the "world wide web" we have today as more of an aberration, and have been waiting for governments to start chopping it up. This seems like a perfect time to update the ITU treaty and give each government a greater role in controlling and taxing it.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

So bassically.. google stop you using youtube > mp3 converters then spout this crap. Bull Shiz corporation pretending they give a fux

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrispotter View Post
    So bassically.. google stop you using youtube > mp3 converters then spout this crap. Bull Shiz corporation pretending they give a fux
    Well the ITU treaty being updated does have the "potential" to really screw their profit margin. Especially if things like the proposed toll on traffic crossing borders actually gets added.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.