Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

If Martin Luther King was still alive...

This is something I was thinking about the other day. How would Martin Luther King react if he would see how our generation is today regarding racism if he were still alive? I think he would be pissed and disappointed with how we handle racism. I mean look at some of the black kids and adults and "wiggers" (white kids and even adults who pose to be black "gangstas") today constantly using the word "nigga" which is a word they wanted to eliminate back then. (I know it wasn't really nigga but it's still the same damn word just with "er" taken out of it and replacing an "a" at the end) It's even in today's rap music. I don't think Martin would be very proud with his fellow black Americans using a word that he didn't like to be called. It's funny because black people today praise Martin for his speeches and everything he did back then but some do things that Martin was trying to eliminate like using racial terms like "nigga" and "cracka". I would like to see what Martin would say to them if he confronted them. I bet they would stop using those words like "nigga" and call each other different name like dude or something.

Edit: Also how would he feel about the "gangsta" accent and how modern day "gangstas" dress? I don't think he would like it very much.

Just something I was thinking about, what are your thoughts?
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2012-11-21 at 12:20 AM.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

Deleted
    I think he would be proud to see how much has changed, yes, a lot has changes since then.

As for the word "nigga" and all that, I don't see a problem with it, if you use it while trying to be funny with a friend or family, you know, funny. I do that with my friends, and it's funny.

As for the gangsta thing, it's just how people are, you can't really stop that, and bashing someone because of that shouldn't be acceptable.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think he'd be proud of how much has changed, and he'd preach instead about moral decay in our youth.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Things don't change over night, the country has come a long way in terms of racism, segregation, and hatred in 50 years. Think he would be happy to see how far things have gone but would be motivated to help continue the social evolution.

In terms of "Nigga" it is not the same word. Also I don't see why it's anyones place to tell someone not to say a word. Some words aren't acceptable in normal society so nothing changes there. But for the most part that's only 40 hours a week. If rappers want to use a word let them, if white people want to use a word who cares, if black people want to use a word who cares.

I'm sure he'd be impressed, but still pressed to make a change. Shame he isn't alive, I could imagine him being true role model to the black community.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

I'd think he'd be most upset about the family dynamic in the black community.

10+ Year Old Account
    He wouldn't be pissed at all, in fact he would be most pleased to see how things are now. You can't get rid of racism, it's in our nature. He would try to continue what he started but that's about it.
    The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword.

*snip*

Seems bout right..

Mod edit: Please don't embed videos like that
    Last edited by Anakso; 2012-11-21 at 02:58 AM.

He would beat the shit out of Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson.

Hopefully.

Deleted
    i wuld shake his hands if he came by.

That Boondocks clip was the first thing I thought of...kinda disappointed that it wasn't in the OP.

While playing the race card all the time is probably much more harmful than helpful, I don't see all the fuss around "nigga." I personally dislike the word, but if it's not being used in its original connotation, who cares? If everyone knows what a person means when they say a particular word, what does it matter what that word originally meant? Cultures change, and clinging onto something like that just so you can feel insulted by it seems counterproductive.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not that im insulted by it or anything I just find using the word "nigga" stupid. I mean why use 90% of the word N---er and not something like dude or homie or something or make up a different word to call each other. If some guy were to go up to Martin and be like "yo whats up my nigga" im sure Martin would be like "O.O what did you call me??" Even explaining that they're using nigga in a way to call their friends, I'm sure he would not like it at all. I mean sure yeah using the word for jokes and memes and stuff is really funny but I hate when people have to use it 90% of the time they;re talking. Like for example that "ma nigga" meme is funny but then something like "yo dis nigga be trippin yo imma beat dis nigga up dis nigga be hatin on my shoes. nigga is just jealous". you know something like that. I used to hear it all the time in school.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

If he was still alive, he'd be just like the rest of it and know what someone means when they say it. It is also highly unlikely that someone would actually say it to him...since as we're all aware it's an expression of familiarity. What would be the point in making up a different word? Seems to me that stripping the power from a hateful word makes more sense than keeping it taboo.

Deleted
    There is a huge difference between being a nigger and being black, look at when Bill Cosby turned on his own people calling out all the niggers, they got nasty and attacked his character.

Before people attack me and call me racist, in modern context nigger is how someone behaves, not their race. My company Sergeant major is black, one of the hardest working blokes I have ever met, Nigger is the last thing I would ever call him. Those scumbags that pulled a knife on my mother in law 2 weeks ago......Different opinion entirely.

If MLK was still alive i certainly believe he wouldve ran for president or at least have been bobby kenedys VP

Could he have won i doubt it though america back then would prolly have not voted a black guy no matter how noble he was

As for what he would think about todays black youth he would prolly be dissappointed with the gangsta culture but i doubt many black youths would listen just like any youth would listen to a old guy no matter the colour

He would probably be ashamed to see that the people he died for refer to themselfes as niggers (creating an "us vs. them mentality") while willingly becoming slaves to the government by asking for handouts rather than opportunities and listening to the racist hatemongers (e.g. Black Panthers) that do nothing for them but make them look like the most annoying and whiny community on the planet. And I bet he would be shocked to see that people would vote for a president only because of his skin colour (93% of blacks voted for Obama, go figure) and that the presidential candidate tries to divide the american people into skin colours again (the "african americans for Obama"-campaign comes to mind.). Let's hope he will never find out.

I'm pretty sure he'd be proud of what he's done for black people, and how dissappointed he would be when he created niggers.
    pic related
    *snip*

<Infracted>
    Last edited by Anakso; 2012-11-21 at 02:42 AM.

Here's what RZA of The Wu-Tang Clan had to say in response to the negative responses he received after his comments on the panel on the "Don't Sleep!" show:
    Quote Originally Posted by RZA
    This comment is for those who mis understood my intentions on the show "Don't Sleep" in regards to the "N" word. I am not in a ignorant state of mind so when I speak I come from a learned point of view. I also have no negative intentions to my people so I would not aim at inflicting pain and discomfort just for the sake of doing so...
    Words are traps for ideas. Once the idea is caught the word is no longer needed. The power of words come from the intention of the word. The word it self does not deem the power. Words share multiple meanings in different languages and countries. Even consonants and vowels take on different meanings and expression as the language ethnic and regions of the speaker changes. Example es O' si kay es may pronounce a statement in spanish but in english may be herd as S O C K S. The word nigger or nigga has in the past had a negative effect on the black community for it was used as a term or disrespect and when spoke against us it built emotions of rage discomfort etc. Yet now a days when the word is used amongst our youth to one another it doesn't have the same effect. It can be used as a term of endearment or comrade. Just as the words "that coat is bad jack" or "Yo that's my shit right there " or "she's a bad mamma jamma just as fine as she can be" doesn't mean something negative but positive to the user and listener. The words though seem vulgar or negative are used with a positive intention. Therefore one should not be trapped up in the word alone but recognize the intention and react there of. I'm passed the definition of us that others attempt to project for I know my self and I am self defined. I understand how many may feel differently in regards to this but I have reached a clearer understanding based on the times. While in china I learned the word pronounced nigga means "something like this" so when some one was trying to explain something they would say ah nigga nigga nigga. Or the word pronounced jigga meant "like that" so statements would occur ah nigga nigga nigga oh jigga jigga. The same word pronunciations took on different meaning. This is food for thought. We are in a time where the leader of the free world is a black man and the false image of our inferiority is being shattered. I am not defending the negative uses of the word nigger or nigga but I am recognizing the numbness of the word due to the growth of the times.
    Personally, I find the notion of people taking offense on behalf of others' absolutely preposterous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Geminiwolf View Post
    This is something I was thinking about the other day. How would Martin Luther King react if he would see how our generation is today regarding racism if he were still alive? I think he would be pissed and disappointed with how we handle racism. I mean look at some of the black kids and adults and "wiggers" (white kids and even adults who pose to be black "gangstas") today constantly using the word "nigga" which is a word they wanted to eliminate back then. (I know it wasn't really nigga but it's still the same damn word just with "er" taken out of it and replacing an "a" at the end) It's even in today's rap music. I don't think Martin would be very proud with his fellow black Americans using a word that he didn't like to be called. It's funny because black people today praise Martin for his speeches and everything he did back then but some do things that Martin was trying to eliminate like using racial terms like "nigga" and "cracka". I would like to see what Martin would say to them if he confronted them. I bet they would stop using those words like "nigga" and call each other different name like dude or something.

Edit: Also how would he feel about the "gangsta" accent and how modern day "gangstas" dress? I don't think he would like it very much.

Just something I was thinking about, what are your thoughts?

He would be happy about White black relations and the President.
    He would be sad that African Americans have culturally stayed the same or declined in the last 44 years.
    He would be upset that the Democrats who want equality have turned their backs on Christianity (point of view thing since he was a Southern Baptist)
    He would be shocked at the level of violence in the world, not that it's so violent, but that it is the same as it was in 1968.
    He would have mixed feelings about gay rights.
    He would love computer technology, smart phones and other consumer electronics, but then he would be sad to know we stopped trying in space.
    He would feel guilty about global warming/climate shift because he would see it as man made.
    He would hate the level of corporate greed in America, really Hostess is closing because the CEO raised his salary from 750k to 2.5million and blames the employees for not having any money.

Ohh I could make a long list.

He would be happy with a black man as president.

If not that, Morgan Freeman.