Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

What will people say when they talk about this era in history?

What do you think people in the future will write in there text history books when they talk about the era we live? From the 20th to the beginning of the 21st century?

Probably the hypocracy of the 20-21st centurys idealism for "freedom" and "democracy".
    Last edited by Arlon; 2012-11-21 at 01:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlon View Post
    Probably the hypocracy of the 21st centurys idealism for "freedom" and "democracy".
    That all depends on who ends up victorious.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    That all depends on who ends up victorious.
    Secondary education might be biased(And the majority could be fooled), but historians and other educated people will know the reality of it all.

Kinda like the mainstream image of ancient greece is that of a democratic society, while the reality was something quite different.

Deleted
    They will say as they always have, "it was so much better in the good old days".

Wars are what are mostly remembered in terms of history. The beginning on the real war on terrorism?

Deleted
    A cure for AIDS and cancer, hopefully, would be pretty good.

Just like how the industrial revolution was way back when, it'll be the 'Computer' age, that revolutionised the world... I'd imagine, in human history... considering it's one of the biggest inventions ever to date.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2012-11-21 at 02:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    They will say as they always have, "it was so much better in the good old days".
    Or, conversely: "Wow, I can't believe how backward their priorities were!"

Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    A cure for AIDS and cancer, hopefully, would be pretty good.
    "Cure" for AIDS could be possible if we have vaccines/drugs that will restrain current strains from activity(Assuming mutations wont be too fast). Cure for all types of cancer would need nano-tech or some other magic-pill, unless we can develop procedures against every single type of cancer.

10+ Year Old Account
    The era where watching a bunch of uneducated retards with spray tans on TV was considered entertainment and Justin Bieber made more money in a year than 90+% of the population makes in their entire life time. Oh... and the first black president.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    "You mean gays didn't used to be able to get married? Oh, I get it, kinda like how women couldn't vote before that, huh?"

Said at least one kid in every future history class ever. Future history. Funny phrase. But yes, I think the ongoing civil rights struggles will be of particular note in our era.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

"The age of entitlement"

They'll think of us as cave man or even worse, we may be cave man.

15+ Year Old Account
    "They were THIS close to cure of cancer and AIDS, but they decided it was better to spend that money on waging war"
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    If we are talking about the whole 20th century, that is far too long a time period to lump together. If we are talking about the late 20th century, I see two likely options.

If America and Europe continue as is:
    The time that the Asian powers began to truly rise in the face of the stagnant western world and ascend to their eventual place as the world superpowers.

If America and Europe turn from mass stupidity:
    The revival of the stagnant western world to match the growth of the Asian powers as the world moves toward a second great cold war.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

10+ Year Old Account
    John green had a nice point on this in his globalization videos. Ad-libbing here but more or less.

"If food runs out or a new plague starts we'll look back on this era as a hugely short sited mistake in human history, but if a meteor is discovered and we band our resources together to stop it from hitting the earth, we'll look back on this era as one that saved mankind"

So it all depends on what happens, of course that's a more global and long term sense of this question than you may have intended. Politically/socially we'll look back on this as a kind of backwards time I imagine. The same way if you look back to certain laws 60 years ago you think "why?" (Such as racial segregation) That could be said for any era looking back on the previous one though.

"the fall of the American Empire". They'll see how we squandered what resources we had and couldnt figure out how to make the world work. Just as the romans spread themselves too thin and had to appease their citizens with handouts, so too will America fall.

Deleted
    #firstworldproblems

15+ Year Old Account
    They will say they miss it, usually how it goes when talking about the past. I know I will when I'm in my 50's. In the far future, who the hell knows.