Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    Rather wish I could get tank drops on my Ret-paladin, so embrace the good fortune of a wider loot table!
    If you respec prot after killing a boss and then use a coin your coin loot will be from the prot loot table.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Really?

Pretty sure it's based on your assigned role in the raid not what your actual spec is.
    No, it's whatever you are at the time.

The normal drops just look at your current spec as well. Otherwise the loot system wouldn't know what to do with classes that have multiple dps specs that use different gear.

I've had dps gear drop a couple of times after I queued as tank and then specced dps because the other tank knew what he was doing.
    Last edited by Shiira; 2012-11-25 at 12:26 AM.

Yep. Once I got my DPS gear, I switch specs and DPS as blood spec in unholy presence with DPS gear equipped. It's a dick move, but it's the only way to get loot off some of the bosses, so it is apparently what the devs intend me to do.

Astonishingly, I never parse bottom DPS doing this. Earlier today I came in at #5! People in LFR really suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    Yep. Once I got my DPS gear, I switch specs and DPS as blood spec in unholy presence with DPS gear equipped. It's a dick move, but it's the only way to get loot off some of the bosses, so it is apparently what the devs intend me to do.

Astonishingly, I never parse bottom DPS doing this. Earlier today I came in at #5! People in LFR really suck.
    Hey! Don't go picking on us LFR heroes. If you really want to know how much DPS sucks play with my guild ... :-P

Anyway, I've heard of the spec-swap trick before and may give it a whirl, but still hoping for items for my main-spec of Ret before trying to beef up my prot spec some more. As is any armor that drops is pretty much interchangeable for what I do prot for - fast cue heroics - so I don't worry about it too much.

Oh I'm definitively doing it as well then for the 476 stuff since I have better DPS gear at this point, but I could use a real tanking trinket.
    Well given the newfound importance of Haste I'd say things like the Final Orders do double duty with the strength proc giving a pretty good % of parry.

dks dont use "tank" weapons, so any str weapon is a weapon for any of your specs. regardless if it's optimal or not

Quote Originally Posted by Harpocrates View Post
    dks dont use "tank" weapons, so any str weapon is a weapon for any of your specs. regardless if it's optimal or not
    Except it's still stupid that one handers are on the blood loot tables.

Yes, we can use them.

No, we shouldn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiira View Post
    Except it's still stupid that one handers are on the blood loot tables.

Yes, we can use them.

No, we shouldn't.
    Same goes for Unholy, a spec they tried so hard to prevent DW being viable in.

It's a little different for dps, because we have a spec that wants to dps with one handers.

We don't have a spec that wants to tank with one handers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some people comment that "Its as intended, loot drops based on class not spec." Then people proceed to ignore this, and complain that DPS gear or weapons not usable for blood drops and that its a bug.

There isnt anything called the "Blood Loot Table" in LFR, its the *DK Loot Table* only.
    Last edited by Cerunnir; 2012-11-26 at 12:11 PM.
    Cerunnir - Frost/Blood Death Knight

Let's get some facts straight, cus people are saying all kinds of wrong things:

1- The game is now able to look at what spec you are. It does NOT look at what role you are.
    2- LFR loot is NOT based on class, it is based on spec. As a holy pally you will not get strength gear.
    3- When you switch spec, and then roll a coin, you will get loot for your new spec.

Now why that GM replied that it's based on class not spec is beyond me, cus he is obviously WRONG. But then again GM's are pretty much uneducated school drop outs that are reading off an default answer sheet.

On to the original point: Tank DK's getting one handers items is just STUPID. Blood tank CAN dual wield, so the game is giving them 1handers. Not that they should ever do so, but since it's an option, Blizzard has decided to be dicks and let it through.

Similarly, Holy paladins and Resto shamans will get the offhand Fan off of Feng, even though they should clearly be using Shields and NOT offhands. But since it's an option that is still within the Holy/Resto spec, Blizzard decided to be dicks and let it through.

In my opinion, they really need to change this bullshit, because giving people items that they are obviously not going to use is just going frustrate people even more about an already disliked loot system.

Quote Originally Posted by rohendar View Post
    Let's get some facts straight, cus people are saying all kinds of wrong things:

1- The game is now able to look at what spec you are. It does NOT look at what role you are.
    2- LFR loot is NOT based on class, it is based on spec. As a holy pally you will not get strength gear.
    3- When you switch spec, and then roll a coin, you will get loot for your new spec.

Now why that GM replied that it's based on class not spec is beyond me, cus he is obviously WRONG. But then again GM's are pretty much uneducated school drop outs that are reading off an default answer sheet.

On to the original point: Tank DK's getting one handers items is just STUPID. Blood tank CAN dual wield, so the game is giving them 1handers. Not that they should ever do so, but since it's an option, Blizzard has decided to be dicks and let it through.

Similarly, Holy paladins and Resto shamans will get the offhand Fan off of Feng, even though they should clearly be using Shields and NOT offhands. But since it's an option that is still within the Holy/Resto spec, Blizzard decided to be dicks and let it through.

In my opinion, they really need to change this bullshit, because giving people items that they are obviously not going to use is just going frustrate people even more about an already disliked loot system.
    Those are the way the system is "supposed" to work, or so says some people ( and some say the complete opposite). However, it currently does not work like that. Therefore, your facts are not straight. Being told what the system does and what it actually does is appearing to be two completely different things.

Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    Those are the way the system is "supposed" to work, or so says some people ( and some say the complete opposite). However, it currently does not work like that. Therefore, your facts are not straight. Being told what the system does and what it actually does is appearing to be two completely different things.
    Go to the Encounter Journal.

Go to the loot drop of the boss you want to look at. See the "Specialization" drop down area? Go to that and pick your class and spec. It will filter out all the items that cannot drop for you in LFR or by using a coin, showing only your possible reward items aside from the gold caches (and quest items and so on). If you get anything but those specified items, it is not working as intended.

I will assume that Blood DKs have the one-handers show up in the Blood DK filter, but they ought to not be there, as no Blood DK should ever dual-wield. Just like how the Elegon Agility trinket doesn't drop for Brewmaster Monks and this is frustrating for them, since it is an excellent tanking trinket for them but doesn't "count" as a tanking trinket for them.

There was a bug where Shadow Priests were getting healing gear drops from Sha of Anger, for instance, but they said they hotfixed (or patched) this issue - implying that they intend for specific gear to be for specific specs, as it clearly shows from the Encounter Journal.

All three of the points rohendar made are completely true.

If you use a coin, it looks at your current spec and gives you a chance at gear appropriate for that spec - if you are rewarded an item, it will be from the corresponding section of the Encounter Journal's loot filter.

This is based on specialization - Holy Paladin should not get Strength gear, and Enhancement Shaman should not get Intellect gear, and so on.

It does not care what role you are. After all, you might be raiding with your guild and not have designated in-game Roles, but using a coin on these bosses still rewards you with spec-specific gear. This shows it's clearly based on specialization as the Encounter Journal says.

This thread is about the issue that the one-handed Strength weapons are on the Blood DK table, and really shouldn't be there.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know of a Prot Warrior who got the abysmal Str/haste proc trinket from LFR Terrace, worse than blues, a wasted item given due to a broken system.

Bravo.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiphias View Post
    This thread is about the issue that the one-handed Strength weapons are on the Blood DK table, and really shouldn't be there.
    Like i said, there was the ways the system is said to work and the way it actually works. Thanks for confirming that in a very long post.

when dual-wielding is available for the spec one-handers belong in the loot table, even when it's sub-optimal.
    By that logic there's nothing wrong with prot warriors and paladins getting two handers.

Yes there is, and I kinda hinted at it try to give it a little thought

Warriors and Paladins can't use two-handers for tanking since that would mean their shield skills wouldn't work and their mastery would be pointless.

However DK's can dual-wield tanking, NOTHING about the spec relies on two-handers.
    Their RP generation does, for one.

So does the threat but those things don't matter, the mechanics don't require you to use a two-hander, where it does for the other plate tanks.

I can't believe anyone actually would counter my argument, it's a simple fact.
    Mechanics sure. Logic? No.

---------- Post added 2012-11-26 at 01:23 PM ----------

Blood dual wielding is a forgotten mechanic, leftover from Wrath. I wouldn't be surprised if they removed it in the future.

Warriors and Paladins can't use two-handers for tanking since that would mean their shield skills wouldn't work and their mastery would be pointless.
    It's sub optimal for a warrior or paladin tank to use a two hander, but they are capable of doing so.

It's sub optimal for a death knight tank to dual wield, but they are capable of doing so.

The point I'm trying to make is that this argument makes about as much sense as yours.

Not sure why anyone is arguing over this. Your reasoning may well be correct, the devs have done similarly stupid things before. If so, it should be changed.

As for DPSing in blood spec, try switching to blood presence once the tanks get a strong threat lead. Your runes regenerate 10% faster, you take a ton less damage, and most importantly you will build vengeance. Obviously don't do this on fights with adds in cleave range or threat drops.