New build, looking for advice and opinions!

Budget: Approximately $1000 (Canadian)
    Resolution: 1920 x 1080
    Games / Settings Desired: Mostly WoW, some SC2, the occasional FPS. High settings desired, don't need everything completely maxxed.
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc): None
    Parts that can be reused: Preferably none, though if I absolutely had to, I have a 550W PSU and a 9800GT I could reuse. Don't want to, though.
    Do you need an OS?: Yes, Win 7 will be needed.
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)?: No.

First off, thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide, it is greatly appreciated!

Right now my machine is a Core 2 Duo E7500, 9800GT, 2 GB RAM. It functions at low-mid settings for most games, but certain components are getting old; for example the hard drive is an old Maxtor, 7.5 years old, makes clicking / whining / grinding noises on occasion for the past couple years... still going, but I don't trust it. Running Win XP, which limits my memory expansion and if I need to replace my OS, memory, vid card and HDD, may as well go the whole way!

As I mentioned above, I can reuse a couple components in a pinch, but since this machine is still fully functional, I wouldn't mind leaving it as-is as a backup / secondary machine without cannibalizing any parts.

After reading many, many threads here over the past couple months, I've come up with a list of potential components for my build, and I'm hoping anyone who is willing will take the time to look it over, comment, tell me where I've made stupid mistakes! All components will likely be bought from Newegg.ca, I've dealt with 'em before and trust them. Here it is:

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK ($150) OR ASRock Z77 Pro3 ($130). Both ATX form factor. Definitely looking for advice on this slot.
    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K ($227)
    Case: Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ($60) Also looking for advice here.
    Video Card: EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 660 2GB ($225)
    Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory ($39)
    Power: SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze 520W Modular ($70)
    Hard Drive: Western Digital WD Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM ($70)
    Optical Drive: ASUS 24X DVD Burner ($20)
    Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO ($35)
    OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM ($100)

Works out to $976 - $996 before taxes / shipping, about $1066 with shipping for a total of:
    ~$1194 with shipping and taxes (12% HST... bastards)

I have not included an SSD in the build. This is by intent, I can't currently afford one in the build and, personally, things like boot times and loading screens don't bother me too much. Too much expense for too little benefit.

I've also chosen an Nvidia video card by design, I've had a good experience with them and will probably continue on that route.

Windows 7 is also chosen by design over Win 8. Not going to jump on board a totally new OS so soon after it comes out, I don't care if it supposedly is fine. Win 7 is proven and popular and works. That's all I need.

Now for a few questions:

- As you can see, I'm kind of over my budget of $1000. My problem is... I can't really see anywhere to trim the costs without downgrading a component, creating a bottleneck for the system. If I'm missing something and anyone can help trim the costs without sacrificing much performance or creating a component bottleneck, I would very much like to hear it!
    - Am I competent to build a machine like this? In the past, I've replaced pretty much every component in my system, the only things I have NOT done are mounting a motherboard in a case and inserting CPU / installing heatsink and fan. Basically, with that background, do I probably have the skills to do this without a great risk to what is (for me) a rather large investment of my disposable income?
    - The i5 3570k and the 2500k are almost identical in price, which would be the superior choice? I've read something about the 3570k running hotter, will that matter with the cooler I have there? I'm planning on overclocking it at some point, nothing huge but a bit. New at it so I need to learn before I do it!
    - Case: I have no idea what makes a good case. Chose the one I have because it has decent reviews and is relatively cheap (was cheaper when I chose it, price went up...). If anyone has any better suggestions, I'm all ears.
    - Power supply: 520W should be sufficient, should it not? I'm not planning on adding another vid card, likely ever.
    - Cooler: I've read something about this cooler being large / my selected mobo's being small. Will I be able to fit it with those boards, or are the memory slots too close?
    - On that subject, I assume the cooler comes with the necessary thermal paste, is that correct and is it of decent quality if it does?
    - Motherboards: I've noticed almost every board in my price range has a rather large number of negative reviews (~16% of reviewers on Newegg giving it 1 Egg (lowest rating). Are that many really DOA? Or is it just a case of people who have stuff die being more likely to leave a review? Is the risk of a DOA board just something you have to swallow and take the risk? I really hope that many aren't really dead on arrival.

I apologize for the mass of text here, I just want to be absolutely certain of everything before I shell out a significant amount of cash on a machine that, I'm hoping, will last me for at least 2-3 years!

Thank you very much for any help you can provide!

Buying Windows 8 instead will save you some money! Other than that there really isn't much to cut. Could grab a slightly cheaper PSU and HDD I guess.

Building is easy, you should be fine. The 3570k is the better choice at the same price. The PSU is fine. People seem to like the Fractal Design Arc Midi case, so look at that as an alternative. I would grab some Arctic MX-4 or similar thermal compound, as anything that comes with the coolers is usually bad.

You see a lot higher percentage of failures in reviews compared to reality because people complain when something breaks and forget / don't care when it works. Those motherboards are fine, I would go ASUS though. That cooler fits just about every board, just avoid RAM with large spikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarsson View Post
    Windows 7 is also chosen by design over Win 8. Not going to jump on board a totally new OS so soon after it comes out, I don't care if it supposedly is fine. Win 7 is proven and popular and works. That's all I need.

- Am I competent to build a machine like this? In the past, I've replaced pretty much every component in my system, the only things I have NOT done are mounting a motherboard in a case and inserting CPU / installing heatsink and fan. Basically, with that background, do I probably have the skills to do this without a great risk to what is (for me) a rather large investment of my disposable income?
    - Power supply: 520W should be sufficient, should it not? I'm not planning on adding another vid card, likely ever.
    - Cooler: I've read something about this cooler being large / my selected mobo's being small. Will I be able to fit it with those boards, or are the memory slots too close?
    - On that subject, I assume the cooler comes with the necessary thermal paste, is that correct and is it of decent quality if it does?
    Metro apps might be the new hit thing. If you go Windows 7 and later you want Metro apps, you're kind of shafted. Just something to keep in mind.

Building a computer is easier than ever.

520W is sufficient, your system should draw no more than 400W peak according to this handy dandy PSU calc: http://www.overclock.net/t/1045231/p...psu-calculator

If you're worried, you can always go for a low profile heatsink. I have the Hyper 212 EVO, I am able to fit 4 Ripjaws with heatsinks into my board. I just had to move the clip on fan up a little bit.

The Hyper 212 EVO comes with a tube of Coolermaster paste which is ok-ish, but since you're budget constrained, I don't recommend buying paste.

The P8Z77-V is $117 after $15 MIR and free shipping from this place called Direct Canada. NCIX also sells it but its a tad more expensive at $128 after $15 MIR and $8 shipping. http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/part/asus...board-p8z77vlk I have a Canadian friend who loves NCIX so they should be ok.

Amazon Canada has free shipping for the 3570K. Amazon's pretty good as long as you buy 'fulfilled by Amazon'. They sometimes ship kind of slow though. http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B007SZ0E1K/?tag=pcp0f-20

Amazon's got free shipping on the card you want: http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/part/evga...rd-02gp42662kr but we generally recommend non-reference open coolers like this one: http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/part/giga...rd-gvn660oc2gd $200 after $20 MIR and Free shipping from Direct Canada. Not sure if Direct Canada is legit.

I don't have a source (anymore, due to upgrading) but Windows 8 is X% more efficient than Windows 7. I've noticed about a 50% decrease in boot times. (I had 43 second boot times on an SSD with sata II, now I'm loading at about 13-18 seconds after upgrading). Games load noticeably faster (WoW was at 10+ seconds, now it's around 1-instant).

I don't like metro, but I switched for the speed increase. Starting to like metro, especially since it's not in my face like I thought it would be. I rarely use the start screen anyways, and am learning the shortcut keys to access what I need differently.

Forgot to mention, there's offers to get a legitimate copy for $15, so if you can spare one month of time or a little of cash you can try it out. If you don't like it then I guess you can use your old Win7 key (assuming you have one).

First off, thanks for the responses! They've been just what I needed, though there is one thing I would like to double-check with you knowledgeable people...

I'm assuming, because no one has said anything to the contrary, that all the parts I have selected are compatible with one another? I'm 99% sure, but getting confirmation can't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    You see a lot higher percentage of failures in reviews compared to reality because people complain when something breaks and forget / don't care when it works.
    I assumed that was probably the case, but thought I'd ask to be sure. Thanks for setting my mind at ease!

Quote Originally Posted by yurano
    The P8Z77-V is $117 after $15 MIR and free shipping from this place called Direct Canada. NCIX also sells it but its a tad more expensive at $128 after $15 MIR and $8 shipping. [link removed, can't quote them] I have a Canadian friend who loves NCIX so they should be ok.

Amazon Canada has free shipping for the 3570K. Amazon's pretty good as long as you buy 'fulfilled by Amazon'. They sometimes ship kind of slow though. [link removed, can't quote them]

Amazon's got free shipping on the card you want: [link removed, can't quote them] but we generally recommend non-reference open coolers like this one: [link removed, can't quote them] $200 after $20 MIR and Free shipping from Direct Canada. Not sure if Direct Canada is legit.
    I'll have to take another look at Amazon, when I looked before their prices were much higher than Newegg, but it's possible they hadn't yet begun their Black Friday deals when I checked. Planning on waiting till Friday to order, it's possible some of the parts I want will come on sale then or other comparable components might that can save me a bit of cash.

As for the other vendors, I'll do a bit of research and decide if I trust them, thanks for pointing them out!

Once again thanks for the help, and if anyone else has any critiques or advice, I'm all ears!