Thread: Is it bad...

  1. #1
    The Insane Didactic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Blorch - Home of the Slaughtering Rat People
    Posts
    16,336

    Is it bad...

    That I use Sindarin for IC purposes rather than Thalassian because the former is vastly superior in terms of development and structure?
    Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.
    - Thucydides

    There is a modern myth that people have always tended towards democracy, constitutions, electoral rights; but in truth, love of freedom has never been the predominant note of popular politics. At most times, popular demand has been for a strong government.
    - Eugen Weber

  2. #2
    Considering it's WoW... a bit.

  3. #3
    Meh, I use Sindarin and Quenya extensively in WoW, particularly for character names. It sounds more "elven" than Thalassian and lets me create names with meaning.

  4. #4
    The Insane Didactic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Blorch - Home of the Slaughtering Rat People
    Posts
    16,336
    Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    Considering it's WoW... a bit.
    But but....Tolkien > All.
    Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.
    - Thucydides

    There is a modern myth that people have always tended towards democracy, constitutions, electoral rights; but in truth, love of freedom has never been the predominant note of popular politics. At most times, popular demand has been for a strong government.
    - Eugen Weber

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    But but....Tolkien > All.
    But Tolkien isn't WoW and there's enough of a difference between the two languages to say that it's not right as far as trying to roleplay in a proper sense.

  6. #6
    The Insane Didactic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Blorch - Home of the Slaughtering Rat People
    Posts
    16,336
    Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    But Tolkien isn't WoW and there's enough of a difference between the two languages to say that it's not right as far as trying to roleplay in a proper sense.
    The problem is that with a complete lack of grammatical rules, let alone a decent corpus of vocabulary, it is impossible to work with Thalassian even for things like names.

    Thalassian, by and large, is just a rip of Quenya anyway in terms of appearance.
    Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.
    - Thucydides

    There is a modern myth that people have always tended towards democracy, constitutions, electoral rights; but in truth, love of freedom has never been the predominant note of popular politics. At most times, popular demand has been for a strong government.
    - Eugen Weber

  7. #7
    Do note that I never stated that Thalassian was a better language, merely that it is the canon language, as broken as it is. In terms of strict adherence to lore, using a Tolkien-created language is against canon and therefore shouldn't be used.

    If Thalassian and Quenya are pretty similar languages, to the point where you can say one is a rip-off of the other, then I'd say it's fair to use in my opinion... on two conditions:

    1) You realize that you are in the realm of speculation, thus be prepared to change things if you are proven wrong.

    2) You don't really have any facts to back up what you say as being true elvish.

    If you can accept those two terms then go to town!
    Last edited by The Mister Madgod; 2012-11-22 at 05:40 AM.

  8. #8
    The Insane Trassk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Having beers with Dorothy
    Posts
    17,275
    End of the day, nobody will rp with you using an elven language from a completely different genre, no matter how much you like it.

    It be like a draenei speaking Klingon.
    Big thanks to Davillage for awesome signature

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    It be like a draenei speaking Klingon.
    My next character to roll. Brilliant! I knew we kept you around for a reason.

  10. #10
    The Insane Didactic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Blorch - Home of the Slaughtering Rat People
    Posts
    16,336
    Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    My next character to roll. Brilliant! I knew we kept you around for a reason.
    Cranial ridges gave it away or what?

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-25 at 03:03 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    Do note that I never stated that Thalassian was a better language, merely that it is the canon language, as broken as it is. In terms of strict adherence to lore, using a Tolkien-created language is against canon and therefore shouldn't be used.

    If Thalassian and Quenya are pretty similar languages, to the point where you can say one is a rip-off of the other, then I'd say it's fair to use in my opinion... on two conditions:

    1) You realize that you are in the realm of speculation, thus be prepared to change things if you are proven wrong.

    2) You don't really have any facts to back up what you say as being true elvish.

    If you can accept those two terms then go to town!
    The issue is mainly from a vocabulary standpoint; given that the corpus of Thalassian words is so limited I have to coin bastardized names for races, places, etc.
    Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.
    - Thucydides

    There is a modern myth that people have always tended towards democracy, constitutions, electoral rights; but in truth, love of freedom has never been the predominant note of popular politics. At most times, popular demand has been for a strong government.
    - Eugen Weber

  11. #11
    Be that as it may, what I've stated is basically everything there is on the subject in terms of the roleplaying community. The specific issues you might have with the language are yours to deal with after you understand what your general actions mean and how others will react to them. Like I said if you can accept that you have literally nothing to back up your claims that the words you use from a Tolkien language are Thalassian and that what work you've done with that language could potentially be overturned by Blizzard expanding lore, then feel free to do whatever.

  12. #12
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    149
    I feel nerdier just by reading this... and I love it. I wish I could get into roleplaying... how do you start out?
    Why is there no "Demonhunter" hero class yet? He was only the coolest hero in WC3. Get busy Blizzard.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Evi1Toad View Post
    I feel nerdier just by reading this... and I love it. I wish I could get into roleplaying... how do you start out?
    Read the stickies here, bro. They should give you a good idea of how to make a character and some of the ways you should and shouldn't interact with other people in a roleplaying setting

  14. #14

  15. #15
    Role-player Khorianas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Hall of Blood
    Posts
    1,160
    I just wanted to ask in what setting do you use Sindarin? In a Forum based roleplay for effect, so that people may/have to translate themselves? Or ingame instead of the built in Thalassin parser? I just don't really see a striking need for it, and one could argue that the depth/atmosphere you gain by using an actual language is lost to the fact that it is in the wrong universe. For me personally if I read some handwritten elvish in which I would discover elfish terms I remember from the Tolkien universe it would break the immersion more than it would help it.

  16. #16
    imo its great 2

  17. #17
    Mechagnome Mengucekli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Where i lay my head is home..
    Posts
    581
    Well i use (minor) latin for roleplaying a priest, but i believe that is not a huge case. However i think, using a non-cannon language totally out of the fantasy setting you are rping in, is something else.

  18. #18
    Role-player Khorianas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Hall of Blood
    Posts
    1,160
    Well, technically, Latin is as much out of canon as Sindarin is. I don't remember any "scholar language" existing in the Warcraft universe.
    In the setting of DSA, a german Pen and Paper, Latin is indeed an in-universe scholar language called Bosparano. That's the only fair use of Latin I could imagine. Also I would rather object with latin being a clerical language in World of Warcraft, while the connection to christianity is there, it is never explicitly given. I would even go further and say while a god was mentioned in early warcraft sometimes it has changed to the sole usage of "the Light". So using latin would break the immersion for me again. Also, I never had the pleasure to learn Latin, and If I would play a character that is a scholar and wouldn't be able to reply that would also massively interfere with my roleplay. Same goes for an elf that can't make any sense of Sindarin, or his/her supposed language. I see more drawbacks then benefits here.

    And while I'm objecting to the use of those languages, I really would love to see the in game languages being somewhat speakable. Then again they would have to do ALL of them or the drama would be astronomical "Why did you do "language A instead of language B ?" IIRC Tolkien was lecturing linguistics in some form so he knew what he was doing when he developed his languages, but doing that for a ton of ingame languages is just not feasable, sadly.
    Last edited by Khorianas; 2012-12-03 at 07:43 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •