Server Populations going downhill?

Hey Folks,

I preordered GW2 back a while and played it between its release and mop release. After being heavily disappointed by mop I decided to turn my back to WoW and stick with gw2. Problem is: The server I've been playing at, 'Far Shiverpeaks', had its population heavily decreasing as for my noticing. Is it only me or ARE server populations actually going downhill? Fyi: Far Shiverpeaks was the most populated EU-Server since release but that doesn't seem to be that way right now. Mid-Level Champion worldevents are actually not happening because the one or two people in the vicinity don't give a **** about it. Even in WvW we went from hero to zero. Could you explain to me what went wrong there?

I could imagine people stopped playing this game because it was not as good as they expected - but that bad?

Deleted
    GW2 was super hyped and blown out of proportion. It's a good game but not something that would seriously compete with wow, for example. Meh, I put GW2 in the same quality category as swtor and rift. Good but not...IT.

10+ Year Old Account
    guilds moved to Blacktide maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by rogerwilko View Post
    guilds moved to Blacktide maybe?
    Actually Blacktide is awesome right now, we own in WvWvW and there's people everywhere (well except for the odd early morning hours or so)

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Medizon View Post
    Hey Folks,

I preordered GW2 back a while and played it between its release and mop release. After being heavily disappointed by mop I decided to turn my back to WoW and stick with gw2. Problem is: The server I've been playing at, 'Far Shiverpeaks', had its population heavily decreasing as for my noticing. Is it only me or ARE server populations actually going downhill? Fyi: Far Shiverpeaks was the most populated EU-Server since release but that doesn't seem to be that way right now. Mid-Level Champion worldevents are actually not happening because the one or two people in the vicinity don't give a **** about it. Even in WvW we went from hero to zero. Could you explain to me what went wrong there?

I could imagine people stopped playing this game because it was not as good as they expected - but that bad?
    everytime i log on the server status of all the servers read high or full during peak time hours. i would suggest that what you are experiencing with the population drop is the departure of the "i wanna win in wpvp so i will transfer to whatever server is doing goood" crowd. this is one thing that has been a huge diasppointment to me. i get the feeling the gw2 crew was hoping that the community would be civil and smart enough to balance the server populations out so thats why for the first month and a half transfers were free and had no cooldown.

unfortunately the community failed, not saying its toxic and bad, and the good wpvp guilds are basically transferring to some of the weaker realms when the masses transfer to their server in hopes of winning all the time. once they realize they good wpvp players have left they do a little research, find out which server is doing better/best and transfer to it. theyre sort of like locusts, they go where the going is good and leave when its gone.

the server transfer policy, last time i checked, was given a 1 week cooldown i believe. it may have changed since the last time i logged on as i havent had time to play anything other than a couple LoL matches here and there.

---------- Post added 2012-11-21 at 05:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Jim View Post
    GW2 was super hyped and blown out of proportion. It's a good game but not something that would seriously compete with wow, for example. Meh, I put GW2 in the same quality category as swtor and rift. Good but not...IT.
    i dont agree that the game was super hyped at all. in fact i hadnt even heard of it until a couple friends of mine told me about the beta weekend events if i preordered. im not saying my opinion is any better, rather i simply disagree that the game was super hyped up

Quote Originally Posted by dokilar View Post
    this is one thing that has been a huge diasppointment to me. i get the feeling the gw2 crew was hoping that the community would be civil and smart enough to balance the server populations out so thats why for the first month and a half transfers were free and had no cooldown.
    You got to be either the most naive person on earth or simply never interacted with ANY multiplayer community ever before. I don't understand, NOT A SINGLE BLOODY MMO that came out in last ten years even had an IDEA about how to deal with server imbalance. Most just ignore it until it bites them in the ass. WoW has insane faction imbalance on most servers, WAR based it's whole selling point on balanced factions and didn't even attempt to address the possibility of imbalance. SWTOR came out with "light" and "dark" servers already at release. Now apparently GW2 has this issue. I can't believe the developers are trying to tackle all kinds of game systems like "trinity", class balance, questing, persistence, but not one company even as much as tried to do something about faction imbalance.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

I think servers will be a bit off until server transfers are no longer free. People just go to wherever the WvW is good.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dokilar View Post
    everytime i log on the server status of all the servers read high or full during peak time hours.
    The server status does not show the number of people logged on to the server, they still show full at 4am, when Orr, LA, Divinity's reach, etc are virtually empty, there is only a handful of servers being used in sPvP and WvW has no queues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    WAR based it's whole selling point on balanced factions and didn't even attempt to address the possibility of imbalance.
    Obviously you did not play WAR because they were one of the few to attempt to balance factions by locking faction creation and giving incentives to low faction servers with bonus to XP and Reknown.

Aion also attempted this by faction locking. The problem is it pisses people off. There really isnt any way to balance factions in any game without pissing off the players.

---------- Post added 2012-11-21 at 12:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    SWTOR came out with "light" and "dark" servers already at release.
    And WTF is this? Light and Dark servers? The force alignment was not a faction dude... The factions were Republic Vs Sith Empire. Your credibility is ZERO on this topic.
    Last edited by philefluxx; 2012-11-21 at 07:11 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Medizon View Post
    Hey Folks,

Lots of WvW guilds / players switched servers, some simply because they like to jump on those bandwagons, others becasue they got fed up of being matched against servers that had big off-peak populations, but this along with other issues (culling / rendering problems, hackers, idiotic design choices like the outmanned buff / orbs / maps too small that favour zerging, etc) have meant many people have also left WvW (and GW2).

Furthermore Anet have recently broken their pre-release philosphies and released a new tier of gear which is currently only available through rolling your face across the keyboard in dungeons, which has been the final straw for many and then on top of all that Planetside 2 was released yesterday and entire WvW guilds have left for that.

The population outside of WvW has also been hit, in PvE, all my hardcore raider aquaintances have left (they briefly come back for the monthly events, that is it), because the nature of GW2 PvE lacks the level of teamwork they like (it feels zergy to them), lacks raids and many miss playing healers / tanks / CC, etc.

Lastly structured PvP has lost a huge amount of people (lots of the "pro" teams that used to stream GW2 are now playing LoL/DOTA2, etc), because they released it without the content / systems to keep people at any level happy, the casual hot join is simply an awful zergfest where players ignores the objectives or even winning the match and there is a lack of matching in tPvP which has led to boredom for the hardcore teams, frustration for more casual teams and simply nowhere to go for people who can't stand hot join, but just get stomped as pugs in tPvP.

Overall they bascially released the game way before it was finished and it has bit them in the arse, it may not be their fault, five months ago Nexon (Maplestory, Vindictus, etc) became NCsofts largest shareholder (NCsofts share price has been dropping for months), so their may have been external pressure to release early / add "WoW 2,0" features, indeed there have been some very oddly named game elemetns in the new content that some think relates to this, such as a jumping puzzle called "under new management".

Anyway, based on Nexons past record, those who still play GW2 should probably get ready for the game to become more and more pay 2 win.
    Last edited by mmoc1f2ad58cb4; 2012-11-21 at 07:32 PM.

We have another thread discussing server population already, please keep all discussion there.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...doesn-t-cut-it