Deleted

Cheap(ish) tabletop microphone

I'm looking to buy a tabletop but I have no idea which one to pick. I'll try to be as specific as possible on what I need:

• I'm not looking for amazing studio quality, just to be heard clearly over voice chat and it to be able to handle some background noise (like a loud keyboard).
    • Don't really need any advanced features, just having a mute button is enough.
    • I really need it to be able to pick me up from a distance (around an arm's length), since place on my desk is limited and a microphone arm is out of the question.
    • Durable over advanced any time. I'll need to disconnect and reconnect it rather frequently, so I'll hate cable to break in a month.

About the price.. I don't mind paying up to 100-110 euro, but I would appreciate any cheaper suggestions, since as a student it takes a while to save it up.

15+ Year Old Account
    How about something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zalman-ZM-MI...3537627&sr=8-1
    It is not a tabletop but a clip on mic. You can clip it on to your headphone wires(with you use headphones) and that should do it.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

If you are looking for a tabletop mic I would suggest something from Blue. They are a little pricier but the quality is there and should be right around the budget limit you suggested.

Blue Yeti USB Microphone - This is a very popular and well liked microphone but it does pick up a decent amount of background sound due to it's sensitivity and omni-directional capability.

Blue Snowball USB Microphone - This is probably just as popular as its big brother but not nearly as good of audio quality even if the characteristics for capturing audio are a bit more direction.

And HERE is a video review of the snowball and yeti together with an audio sample of each that you can listen to yourself. I personally think its enough of a jump in performance for the extra money spent.

Deleted
    Yeah, I've heard about blue mics, but generally they are suggested as a starting point for recording and production, and I kinda feel it's a bit of an overkill for what i need. I would rather go for something simpler and, frankly, cheaper.

Regarding clip on mic, I am using an inline right now which is a similar idea, but it does tend to make unwanted noise when I move around and it's dragged across my t-shirt, which was my main reasoning for buying a tabletop.

---------- Post added 2012-11-22 at 05:00 PM ----------

Was lurking around and found this one, seems to be rather popular on amazon and most of the reviews are positive. Anyone heard anything bad about it?