Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Will this game ever get good for a casual?

Sure, there's a few hundred diehards who found their niche with this game, but for me this is the most frustrating game I have ever played in my life, and the biggest let down in my gaming history.

First off, the game runs like crap on my computer. I can run WoW on all High/Ultra settings at 30fps, and other true 3D games with similar performance. Every single time I log into D3, I die to the first pack I run into because the game just freezes up. I have all settings set to minimum. It never runs smoothly, it just becomes slightly more bearable as my session goes on.

Second, and this is somewhat related to my first point, the server seems shotty at best. I'm consistently being leashed backwards by the server, and the mobs still like to hit me even when I'm half a screen or even further away. I've died because of this way more than I could count.

Third, even with the recent patches, 99.9% of items are junk. I have yet to find a Legendary that people want to buy. Absolutely terrible itemization considering almost half of the possible affixes are useless. Whatsup with INT being on Barb-only gear? Or STR on ranged wpns? Thorns and Health globes bonuses feel like lvling-only stats to me.

These 3 points make this game unbearable for me. As you could guess, I play a Barb and I'm not interested in the other classes. I've clocked in almost 100 hrs and I regret all of it. I feel like I'd need to commit double the time in order to get any real progression in the MP ladder.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure how the title is related to what you are complaining about in any way. To answer your title, I play casually and it suits me just fine. I'm not falling behind by not playing. I play when I want to.

Regarding the rest:

1) You probably need to upgarde drivers or parts. 30fps on ultra settings is pretty terrible for WoW. You shouldn't really be running that high unless you don't care about crappy performance. D3 doesn't have as many settings to tweak and the appearance doesn't really differ when you go down. I suggest going down and then looking back at the first sentence of this point.

2)Leashing still happens to me all the time, but it is directly correlated with my wireless acting crappy since a power shortage. When I'm plugged in I almost never see the leashing anymore. I still get the same bullshit 2-5 initial minutes of absolute garbage lag from the game that needed to be fixed ages ago.

3)Loot in this game isn't designed for you to 'hit it and quit it'. We can all agree that it's not ideal, that limiting affixes per item type and creating a smaller range of rolls would benefit us as individuals, but the game wouldn't have any lasting power in that scenario. Either that or you'd still see the low end of slightly better stats 99% of the time so it's not really going to change anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Making gear farming a little more bearable is just something that would require a complete overhaul on how the gear drops and how it's designed. I don't really expect anything like that to happen, even with the expansion. The rest are performance-related, so they are probably caused by your computer and nothing else.

Though I will say I have the same issue you do. When I start up the game, it lags like hell the first combat I get into. I don't know why, but then after that it runs smooth. Well, as smooth as my PC can handle it.

1: Check that Diablo 3's Max Background FPS is set to 60 at minimum.

2: That sounds like it's more to do with your connection than anything else. I only suffer from leashing when uploading/downloading while playing. May get it once in a blue moon while playing with friends, but it tends not to happen more than once or twice in 3-4 hour gaming session. Not normally related to in-game action either; it'll just be a random connection hiccup.

3: The game is no longer even half as gear orientated as it was, if you just want to beat Inferno, go do it. Being casual has nothing to do with it. Getting legendaries and such is for those who want to perfect their gear or work on the Monster Power levels instead now. The gear will probably always be extremely random. However, the flood of well stat'ed items on the Gold AH shows just how many more people are regularly getting decent items.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can agree with you that the loot system feels kinda broken sometimes.

I really don't understand why STR appears on Sources and Bows or why Int appears on Mighty Weapons.

Now it could be argued that the shitty itemization makes for more longevity in the game due to the need to FAAARRRRRRMMMM a LLOLLLLLOOOOTTTT

But a few tweaks SHOULD be made when it comes to loot.

I will say this though, the rarity of "good" items, while INCREDIBLY frustrating, does make the feeling of actually finding something good that much more rewarding and this is coming from a guy who has literally never found an item that sold for more than 2 million gold. Oh, and I've been playing since release, with more hours played than I'd care to admit....
    “Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." ~Frank Sinatra

I play D3 on and off, barb paragon level 8 playing MP3, so very casual.

I find it fun to play in busts. I get good enough loot and make good enough gold to buy stuff from the AH.

I dont expect to be kitted out like the top 5% of the game because they play more.

If you find it fun, its fun, no matter how many hours you play for.

Deleted
    The item hunt is one of the coolest things in the game, while mostly frustrating, whenever you do get that golden drop it's awesome.

Rest seems like PC/Connection issues.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    For the loot system to be more rewarding the AH has to be removed in its entirety, since there is millions of loot instances available daily there has to be very minimal good gear dropping or the end game would be over in a single night of play.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenko View Post
    First off, the game runs like crap on my computer. I can run WoW on all High/Ultra settings at 30fps, and other true 3D games with similar performance. Every single time I log into D3, I die to the first pack I run into because the game just freezes up. I have all settings set to minimum. It never runs smoothly, it just becomes slightly more bearable as my session goes on.
    I have the same problem, and it seems to have gotten worse with the last few patches.
    I guess it's due to horrible coding. It's ALWAYS the first pack, and then it's fine later.

---------- Post added 2012-11-22 at 01:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zenko View Post
    Second, and this is somewhat related to my first point, the server seems shotty at best. I'm consistently being leashed backwards by the server, and the mobs still like to hit me even when I'm half a screen or even further away. I've died because of this way more than I could count.
    I also have this same problem, but I don't believe it's a connection issue. My brother is in the room right next to me and he hardly ever has this problem.

I don't know what's causing all these issues, but I do know it has gotten worse with 1.04 and 1.05

Deleted
    i have the initial stutter as well. so i tend to just run into a pack near a door so i can dodge the freeze death.

ah ruined d3 for me, not rmah (or well, that to) but having an auction house overall..
    ah turned this game from an item hunt into a goldfarm.
    i killed diablo on inferno on wizard and on monk, and not on either one of them did i have more then 1 or 2 items that i had aquired for myself.. everything else came form ah and tbh that sucks.
    Now you might be thinking "don't use ah if you don't like it"
    well no, because ah gives to big an advantage not to use. The game is tuned around an auction house being there. without it, with current droprates it whould take hundreds of hours to beat the game...

Nothing you mentioned has to do anything with being a casual? :s there's a few minutes of lag when you get in the game for the first time after you start it up. But after that it should be fine. You can get a good gearset with like 3 mil which really doesn't take that long to gather.

It sounds like you just don't like D3 and that's fine. But the answer to your question would be no.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2012-11-22 at 04:51 PM.

Servers still tend to be shit especially if you are going fast. Your issue though is due to Blizzard being Blizzard. Only way I know of to deal with this is installing the game on a ssd or use all your abilities somewhere safe.
    Well and to be honest yes itemization is a good bit boring at the end of the day but I doubt that will change any time soon. Don't really see the relation to the casual thing though as it is quite easy by now to clear the game and get reasonable gear.

This game could not be more casual-friendly. The best legendaries in the game are 25k gold now, if you pay more you just get better rolls.

Sorry your computer is ancient and sucks, but that's not Blizzard's fault.
    What the world needs is Lesshammad.

Seems fairly casual as it is. But I have to say that the loot system blows chunks (I know it was designed for the auction house but whatever).

I had the same issue with real hard stutters even freezes when I was entering the game. Then I switched to an SSD on my notebook and after that this never happened again. On my desktop I did not have an SSD, there I encountered that problem until I switched there too.

It seems to be a problem that your system is too slow in I/O.

I have the stutter too, over 2 different PCs. When I bought my new PC (which is pretty much absolute top end for a gaming PC), I installed on my SSD and there was no stutter. However I very rarely play D3 so I put it on my mechanical HDD. It stutters again, for the first few minutes of play.

Regarding the gameplay from a casual perspective, it seems more and more pointless to grind as time goes on. Minor upgrades cost tens of millions and the chance of finding an item worth that much are astronomically low due to oversupply by the die hard players. If you're casual then you just have to be content in smashing a few mobs for no actual progression gain.

Quote Originally Posted by Trotheus View Post
    This game could not be more casual-friendly. The best legendaries in the game are 25k gold now, if you pay more you just get better rolls.
    lmfao.

Anyways, casual or hardcore, for me I had a great time in communities rolling around in packs in private games back in D2. Now it's a barren wasteland. I'd say Battle.net 2.0 is my primary reason for lack of D3 playing, that and the complete snorefest of item attributes.

got a windforce for 2mil (which already depreciated heavily from when i did) and rest of my gear from drops sitting around 60-70k dps depending on passives, along with how easy mp0 is let alone you can easily leech public game runs for everything, not sure how you can see its not casual friendly

Quote Originally Posted by rol3x View Post
    For the loot system to be more rewarding the AH has to be removed in its entirety, since there is millions of loot instances available daily there has to be very minimal good gear dropping or the end game would be over in a single night of play.
    A better solution is to make all the top-end gear soulbound. Use the AH for buying mats or mid-tier equipment only.