Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account

WoW randomly switching to desktop

Just curious if anyone else has been experiencing this problem?

WoW will randomly minimize and put me on the Windows desktop. This happens whether I am touching the keyboard/mouse or just reading the chat window. My computer is only a few months old (Dell XPS with Windows 7, so I don't think it is a hardware issue. Also Norton hasn't detected any viruses).

There are only about 5 other people in the WOW forums with this problem, but I wanted to see if anyone in this community has experienced the problem and has figured out a solution?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6606351209
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Deleted
    Most likely some background program/service accessing the desktop, making it minimize.

Start with closing everything besides wow, that means all the dell bloatware aswell...
    Then look so you dont have any odd services running.

See if it still happens

Edit. Uninstall/disable norton(shit anyways..) and see if that helps, would be my first thing to try.

10+ Year Old Account
    im willing to be that iknow exactly what is causing that. HP support Assistant. If you get alted tabbed you shoudl see bottom right an HP assitant type window. Basically uninstall anythign by HP from your PC and that should fix your issue

Edit: If you dont have HP stuff installed then it is likely anything installed from Dell.

May sound like a silly question, but you're not accidentally touching your Windows key on your keyboard by accident, are you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Probably some background app doing an update, or made a pop up, or such --- either close them or put em in Silent mode if they got one, while gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by santa666 View Post
    Edit. Uninstall/disable norton(shit anyways..) and see if that helps, would be my first thing to try.
    Old Norton, yeah... but Norton now is actually pretty good now and rated quite as such in numerous comparison reviews.

The main thing I've noticed minimizing WoW and bringing up the desktop for me has been Quicktime/iTunes updater. Once it finds an update, it switches me to desktop and asks me if I want to install it. I'm sure various other similar tasks that run in the background do it, too.

Check what processes are running at startup on your comp by going to the Run command line and typing "msconfig". Look at the Startup tab.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    Old Norton, yeah... but Norton now is actually pretty good now and rated quite as such in numerous comparison reviews.
    Old/new, still shit im afraid, there's certainly worse out there but i wouldnt use it.
    Which feels pretty ironic since i preefer SEP over any AV out there, but same situation as linksys/cisco i guess, sigh....

10+ Year Old Account
    I have the same problem..
    HP Assistant is disabled, Norton have never been installed, Windows-key is hardware-disabled via a key on my keyboard (Logitech G15)..

Haven't been able to find a fix, for my 2 year old XPS.. It have done it, since I got it..

10+ Year Old Account
    Run msconfig, see what software starts up.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

It could be Spotify if you have it.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    Probably some background app doing an update, or made a pop up, or such --- either close them or put em in Silent mode if they got one, while gaming.

i didn't touch the "new"norton. but we all know how companys get good/bad reviews. pay them you got a good review...

I used to get this issue when anything happened with my open browsers while WoW was running. FireFox especially loved booting me out of WoW to tell me it had finished loading a page, or whatever.

Don't really experience it too much anymore since I play WoW in Windowed Mode anyways.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I had the following issue. I reformatted my PC not due to the issue but other issues, now I don't get the WoW randomly switching to desktop. I'd check to see if you got any backround apps running that would cause WoW to randomly alt tab.