Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1
    Dreadlord Rickz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    796

    Question IPS Monitor with 5ms response time or TN/LED Monitor with 2ms response time?

    So I'm thinking about getting a double monitor setup.

    Found two monitors that seem quite nice;

    - AOC i2367fh, an IPS monitor with 5 ms response time.
    - iiyama ProLite B2481HS-1, TN/LED monitor with 2 ms response time.

    So I've heard that IPS has a superior viewing angle, better color display and more.

    The only downside is the high response time. Right now I have a screen with 2 ms response time.

    If I switch to a IPS screen with 5 ms response time, how will this affect my gaming experience?
    Is the 3 ms response time difference really noticeable?

    My primary use for this monitor will be gaming and watching movies. I'll also do some office work on them.

    Any experiences/advice is appreciated

    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.5GHz | Intel 120GB SSD | ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | ASUS Xonar Essence STX | ASUS GTX670-DCUII
    Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 | Corsair H100 | Corsair HX650W | Corsair 500R| Dual 23" IPS Monitors| Razer Deathadder | Gigabyte Aivia Osmium

  2. #2
    I also have a IPS screen, and i don't see a problem with the higher response time while playing games.
    Even in FPS games i don't see a problem.
    I wouldn't trade the better image quality and colors that stay the same while moving you head for a better response time anymore

    Edit: I have a Dell U2312HM which has 8ms btw.
    Last edited by dklol; 2012-11-22 at 09:37 AM.
    CPU:i5-3570k@0,930V MB:ASUS P8Z77-V GPU:GTX 680 Lightning RAM:8GB DDR3 1600

  3. #3
    The Lightbringer CheezusCrust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nuuk, Greenland
    Posts
    3,266
    You won't really be able to notice the difference between 2ms & 5ms

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    You won't really be able to notice the difference between 2ms & 5ms
    There are also many peole out there who claim to see the difference between 60 and 70 FPS on a 60hz screen, so they probably also see the difference between 2 and 5ms
    CPU:i5-3570k@0,930V MB:ASUS P8Z77-V GPU:GTX 680 Lightning RAM:8GB DDR3 1600

  5. #5
    I strongly doubt you'll notice a difference between 2ms and 5ms. IMO gogo IPS.

  6. #6
    The Lightbringer CheezusCrust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nuuk, Greenland
    Posts
    3,266
    Quote Originally Posted by dklol View Post
    There are also many peole out there who claim to see the difference between 60 and 70 FPS on a 60hz screen, so they probably also see the difference between 2 and 5ms
    I can notice between 60 & 70FPS on FPS games, although not on Starcraft

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    I can notice between 60 & 70FPS on FPS games, although not on Starcraft
    Do you have a 120hz screen? If not the only thing you will notice is massive screen tearing
    CPU:i5-3570k@0,930V MB:ASUS P8Z77-V GPU:GTX 680 Lightning RAM:8GB DDR3 1600

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    I can notice between 60 & 70FPS on FPS games, although not on Starcraft
    I bet this is also on 60 hz screen xDDD, anyways read the comment people make before you quote them, And if you are claiming to see a difference bethween 60 and 70 fps on 60 Hz screen.. then you might wanna read on what 60Hz on a screen actually means

  9. #9
    The Lightbringer CheezusCrust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nuuk, Greenland
    Posts
    3,266
    I always run at a locked 90 FPS on Blops 2, and I get very sluggish whenever it's below the 60 area.

    I know what a 60hz screen is, and that's what I use.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    I always run at a locked 90 FPS on Blops 2, and I get very sluggish whenever it's below the 60 area.

    I know what a 60hz screen is, and that's what I use.
    That's a problem with the game then, because even with 90 FPS you still only see 60 images per second
    I had games that only look "smooth" with far over 100 fps, but e.g. in WoW i can't see stuttering with 35fps^^
    Also i can't imagine how you and others can live with the screen tearing?
    CPU:i5-3570k@0,930V MB:ASUS P8Z77-V GPU:GTX 680 Lightning RAM:8GB DDR3 1600

  11. #11
    The Lightbringer CheezusCrust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nuuk, Greenland
    Posts
    3,266
    So you're one of those people who think the human eye only can see 30 pictures per second?

    Then I'm out of here, since you don't have the slightest clue of what you're talking about.

  12. #12
    I think he means that a 60Hz screen cant show more than 60 fps. So seeing the difference between 60 and 70 fps on a 60Hz screen, should be impossible

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by dklol View Post
    That's a problem with the game then, because even with 90 FPS you still only see 60 images per second
    I had games that only look "smooth" with far over 100 fps, but e.g. in WoW i can't see stuttering with 35fps^^
    Also i can't imagine how you and others can live with the screen tearing?
    The idea that humans can only see sixty frames per second is an outdated one, also an incorrect one.

  14. #14
    He didn't say anything about people only seeing sixty frames per second. He said you can't see 90 FPS on a 60hz monitor. Don't use your misinterpretations to start a debate on the limitations of the human eye. Those never end well.

  15. #15
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Finland, Vantaa
    Posts
    755
    Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    So you're one of those people who think the human eye only can see 30 pictures per second?
    its not like that, you can see more pictures per second than the magical 32ish. its the reaction time between your eye + brains that delivers
    the vision of the images. if you ever compare 1080i and 1080p with 25/50/60hz you'll see the difference there in slow motion but in action
    your brain wont follow it up.

    with a lot of computer use (like myself) in gaming as well in the video and picture industry, i do see the differences between 30, 50 and even with 60hz
    differences, but partially due to my knowledge of how the vision, picturing, motion in videos / screens etc. works

    you can compare that normal guy with a 1080i wont see a difference with a 1080p - thats pretty much non-gamers or the guys who dont work with computers
    or displays in that matter, too often.

  16. #16
    I like how people fail to understand that a 60hz screen can only show 60 images per second, and think i'm somwhow talking about how the eye can't see more than 60fps

    Some facts:
    -With a 60hz monitor you won't get a "smoother" image with over 60fps, only the game itself may run better, that's engine specific. (in minecraft you see and feel every fps more for example)
    -The eye has no fps, it only won't see single pictures if the gap between them is small enough. (you all know a flicker book )
    -The "gap" gets normally small enough somewhere around 20fps, but that's not true for games, as they "work differently".
    -Still some games seem completely smooth with 30fps already, again that's engine specific. (WoW is smooth for me at 30fps in capitals, LoL is not)

    And most importantly: 60+fps on a 60hz screen looks shit:
    CPU:i5-3570k@0,930V MB:ASUS P8Z77-V GPU:GTX 680 Lightning RAM:8GB DDR3 1600

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by dklol View Post
    I like how people fail to understand that a 60hz screen can only show 60 images per second, and think i'm somwhow talking about how the eye can't see more than 60fps

    Some facts:
    -With a 60hz monitor you won't get a "smoother" image with over 60fps, only the game itself may run better, that's engine specific. (in minecraft you see and feel every fps more for example)
    -The eye has no fps, it only won't see single pictures if the gap between them is small enough. (you all know a flicker book )
    -The "gap" gets normally small enough somewhere around 20fps, but that's not true for games, as they "work differently".
    -Still some games seem completely smooth with 30fps already, again that's engine specific. (WoW is smooth for me at 30fps in capitals, LoL is not)

    And most importantly: 60+fps on a 60hz screen looks shit:
    I'm confused with how you think people can't notice a dif of 60 vs 70 fps on 60hz when you are clearly aware there is. ie tearing.

  18. #18
    Titan Synthaxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Rotherham, England/UK
    Posts
    12,977
    The FPS difference people can see is subjective. Some people can, some people can't. Just like some people notice a major difference when running on 120Hz, while others see little or no difference. Just like some people notice screen tearing, and some don't. You can't ever say "I just don't see how you can/can't see the difference" because everyone is different and thus all 3 areas are subjective.

    Quote Originally Posted by dklol View Post
    Do you have a 120hz screen? If not the only thing you will notice is massive screen tearing
    Surprisingly, some people don't notice that either. For example, until i got my Korean Import 1440p monitor a few weeks ago, i never noticed screen tearing. Now, in D3, once i hit 140FPS or so, it becomes rather terrible (due primarily to the response time being so good), but until that point, i don't notice it. Yet, i can notice the difference between 100FPS and 120FPS, but other people can't, and both sides argue and argue about who's right and people end up throwing mud at each other.

    On topic: I'd personally go with the IPS. TN absolutely doesn't compare. IPS was made to replace TN, particularly in reference to the viewing angle. As a "side effect", you get more vivid colours. I haven't used a TN panel in years, and i honestly wouldn't go back to them. General IPS panels at 1080p are cheap enough and readily available that buying TN isn't something i'd consider.
    Coder, Gamer - Thoughtcloud | Node.js Monkey | Supporter of error 418 (I'm a teapot)
    Knows: Delphi, PHP, WQL/SQL, Python, JS + jQuery, HTML + CSS, Ruby, Node.js (+ Express & Socket.io)

    PC: 750D / 16GB / 256GB + 750GB / GTX780 / 4670K / Z87X-UD4H | Laptop: 8GB / 120GB + 480GB / GTX765M / 4700MQ

  19. #19
    I am Murloc! Bananarepublic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    5,210
    Yeah, when I asked here once about monitors, some guys were all: DUDE RESPONSE TIME MAN.


    I just got a Dell which somebody recommended, turned out to be an IPS and I couldn't be happier.

    I have a Dell U2412M.

  20. #20
    Dreadlord joepesci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Germany (EU Outland)
    Posts
    755
    I wouldn't go for the TN monitor, unless price is an issue. I have two monitors here, one is an $1000 MVA and one is a $200 TN. TN has bad viewing angles, but I also think that my MVA is a bit slow in games, but maybe newer IPS or PLS or whatever technology is better meanwhile.

    Once I opened MS-Excel on the TN, two times, side by side. I just copied one graphic from one excel window to the other one, and I wondered why the color didn't look the same. It took me quite some time before I figured out that color was dependent on the position of my head (viewing angle)... I just forgott that I was working with a TN panel...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •