Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Celticmoon View Post
    I have always believed that Mars was another life supporting planet, but that something ended it. Either the core died out, or some life/planet ending scenario happened.
    From what I've read, you're right. It could have been a life supporting planet, but unlike Earth, it was stillborn. It's small, for one thing, and at some point in the past its molten core stopped spinning and solidified. That means no plate tectonics releasing material into orbit to create an atmosphere, and no magnetic field to retain that atmosphere.

Mars being small means its weak gravity isn't able to retain a thick enough atmosphere for life, the solar wind keeps blowing it away. There is a thin atmosphere though, note that you can't see the stars when watching video footage from the rovers there. It's caused by frozen water deposits at the poles leaking into the air, and by the dust being blown around by the terrific winds.

I read about this a while ago, so may well have forgotten or misremembered bits.

So, two problems: Mars isn't geologically active, and it's too small. Solution? Crash an asteroid into it, preferably one which has frozen water deposits. Do so at such an angle that Mars' orbit will be shifted to be closer to the sun when it stabilizes. Then, possibly, the added mass, added water, closer orbit, and volcanic activity might make it possible to eventually terraform Mars to be a sister to Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity16 View Post
    just so im clear, nobody owns space correct?

how does that work btw :S - the moon was first landed on by americans (supposedly..) - they put the american flag up (supposedly..) was that any kind of declaration of the land? if they found some kind of mega mineral, would it be a race in space to colonize mars?

im hoping for somethign exciting, buttttt I somewhat feel that even if they release some "Earth shaking" information, it will NOT be all the information they have, doubt they let the big secrets of what they have found out..
    The flag was put there because the astronauts were Americans.

The plaque that was left there actually reads as follows.

Here men from the planet Earth first set foot upon the Moon. July 1969 A.D.

It also has the signatures of the Astronauts and President of the US. Other than Nixon's signature, there's nothing suggesting that land belongs to the Moon. I really can't imagine colonizing the Moon and NOT granting that particular patch of land to the United States, though. Or maybe it would be a Switzerland where all the lunar countries come together to discuss politics. That would be awesome.

Also the flags America left up there have been bleached white by solar radiation. So really they truce flags now.

I fucking love Science.

Space is by law the common heritage of all mankind. So,

the moon was first landed on by americans (supposedly..) - they put the american flag up (supposedly..) was that any kind of declaration of the land?
    No it wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by skatblast View Post
    I loved that line
    Back when they had good writing.

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Space is by law the common heritage of all mankind. So,
    You can be sure the only reason that "law" exists is that space travel isn't common-place. Once most people can go into space easily, societies will start claiming stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    You can be sure the only reason that "law" exists is that space travel isn't common-place. Once most people can go into space easily, societies will start claiming stuff.
    Space would be treated no different than the open ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Actually it'll probably be treated like territorial waters,like you saw several hundred years ago. Technological weapons will be too dangerous to allow for anything like "high seas" space to lay just 12 miles off your zone.

Yeah, it feels like that if we just have to share one planet there'll be a lot of ideological conflicts on how to run the planets. Definitely a smarter idea to just break the planet up into different zones.

Also, I would love to have some Swedish colonies in space. Thinking about studying space technology just to pursue that goal. Oh you silly patriotism.

So, curiosity found something already? Wonder if it's really that groundbreaking, but still...

... I'm curious!

(I admit, I wanted to do this since I saw the name of that probe...)

In Thrall's loving embrace, all hail ThrallChrist.

how does that work btw :S - the moon was first landed on by americans (supposedly..) - they put the american flag up (supposedly..) was that any kind of declaration of the land? if they found some kind of mega mineral, would it be a race in space to colonize mars?

im hoping for somethign exciting, buttttt I somewhat feel that even if they release some "Earth shaking" information, it will NOT be all the information they have, doubt they let the big secrets of what they have found out..
    I am sure the younger generation might not get this, but there was no supposedly in the moon landing.

1st the US and the Soviets where doing a world wide public relations game, and both sides where checking for cheating. What this means is if the US cheated than the Soviets would have declared it so.

2nd Telescopes, radio astronomy, the western world is full of hobbyist who look up in the nights sky, during the moon landing every hobbyist on the planet fallowed the mission with telescopes and radio tracking devices.

3rd if you have a good telescope you can still see the flag planted on the moon.

As to ownership, the US has a good claim in the area around the moon landing site. However it really is first come first serve at this moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post

3rd if you have a good telescope you can still see the flag planted on the moon.
    No you can not. (source : http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...2094904AA1fyr9)

Also i'm pretty sure medias are overreacting and it's not that big of a deal.

One word......zombies...... Nuff said..... (please be zombies please be zombies)

So they finally found my car keys?

Quote Originally Posted by Vellerix View Post
    I lol'd. Need to make a comic about that.

"Robert, where are the car keys?"
    "Oh yeah, sorry hun, forgot to tell you that I accidently dropped them on the moon."
    "...what?"

It's being considered that the moon might be holding deposits of Helium-3 (I think it's called), and that mining operations on the moon might not be impossible in the future. But when I say future, I say 40-50 years atleast, unless something changes.

It is however, illegal to claim any planet as belonging to a country. It was some treaty that was signed in the UN back in space-faring days.

---------- Post added 2012-11-27 at 04:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Vellerix View Post
    Let's not get too optimistic.

I'm willing to predict that they found basic amino acid's. the building blocks of life.
    I expect the delay is to verify that it cant be a contamination from manufacturing.
    also, to rerun the tests on a blank and see the base line signal verify no earthly contamination
    then add more martian sample and see if the signal replicates 2-3 times.
    but it looks like its going to be methane.
    Last edited by tombstoner139; 2012-11-27 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    when are they going to announce what they found?
    December 3rd.

EDIT: I'd also like to re-assert my guess of evidence of biogenic oil, which would be a billion times more amazing than ^amino acids^ because of the implication of there once having been a vast, highly diverse and relatively advanced ecosystem. Plus it seems like it would be easier to find on a giant red Popsicle.
    Last edited by Gheld; 2012-11-27 at 03:48 PM.

We already know that there was once water on Mars due to ripple marks on the surface. The question is whether that water had life in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    I'm probably the nicest person on this whole damned forum, and you can make a sig from that.
    Quote Originally Posted by TZK203 View Post
    Just have a sig that says "I'm Batman."

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    As to ownership, the US has a good claim in the area around the moon landing site. However it really is first come first serve at this moment.
    nope there is treaty subscribed by over 100 nations that proibit any claiming and also any military base on the moon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outer_Space_Treaty

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Yes. Space would be treated exactly like the open ocean. With space (ocean) itself being largely claimed by no one (international waters). But every planet (island) and the waters around it will be claimed by someone.