Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bufferunderrun View Post
    If it realy is that, then i hope they can prove it originates from Mars and it's not something that the curiosity brought over, otherwise there will always be some doubts about it until they CAN prove it.
    Not to mention even if they do, there will be people who will basicly plug their ears and go "I can't hear you".

This was interesting (sorry if it's been linked already)

http://io9.com/5964244/in-partial-de...isappointments
    My Cracked articles, writing blog, and Twitter.

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Want to chat with people who aren't idiots? Join our IRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    I'm going to guess it is something related to water. I highly doubt it's related to life.
    This ^

But since water is needed to sustain life as we know it it will be an amazing find should that be what it is.

Remnants of water. Exciting times in the scientific community for sure.

Stop expecting so much... from the article I linked. NASA's begun to backpedal.

Guy Webster, a spokesman for NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif., which operates Curiosity, said the findings would be “interesting” rather than “earthshaking.”
    My Cracked articles, writing blog, and Twitter.

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Want to chat with people who aren't idiots? Join our IRC.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Yeah... the media is blowing things WAY out of proportion.

I'm betting on just water molecules... while the press is making it out as if they found ET's long lost skeleton in the sand.
    "Tell them only that the Lich King is dead... and that World of Warcraft... died with him..."

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    That's the ONLY reason you would post 9600 posts over 3 years: a mission of hate.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Yeah... the media is blowing things WAY out of proportion.

I'm betting on just water molecules... while the press is making it out as if they found ET's long lost skeleton in the sand.
    If only it was only the media. Take a look at the previous pages. So many posters trying to make their fantasies come to life by isolating words and phrases from what has been said and twisting them to no end.

I think that it will be some very interesting news, and something for the history books, after all this is an expedition to Mars for goodness sake, but no, nobody discovered ET's house most probably.

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Rightly so.....

Space exploration has stagnated since the moon-loading because their isn't a clear objective.

If their was clear evidence that some planets had sustained any kind of life then governments would probably be more active in space related technology. And it may sound useless for normal people but eventually we the normal people will also benefit from investments in sci fi alike technology.
    There are objectives, it's just that no one seems to want to pursue em. More research into space related travels, remote terraforming, methods and a lot of research into recovery and prevention for physical atrophy due to lesser gravity. There are quite a few, just for some reason less effort is being put into those anymore.
    Hell, these things are what are needed before we put ourselves into mars and able to survive there.

I'm gonna leave this here, because Dr. Tyson articulates this better than I could. The part specifically relating to this converstaion starts at 5:30.

THIS is what I hoped they would be able to announce. Evidence of what Dr. Tyson talks about. I don't think we are there yet, but soon.

"Life here began out there..." -The Scrolls of Pythia

NASA havenever and will never tell us the truth, or at least 50% of it. I don't claim anything, but that's how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    All I'm expecting is something scientifically interesting, not some non-existent result stemming from media confusion.

By the way: the original statements JPL's Guy Webster made in trying to calm down rampant speculation in the press go back to the same day the (botched) NPR story was published, Nov. 20th.

Good grief, that io9 article is ridiculous:

But now, NASA is backpedaling. The nature of Curiosity's discovery has been downgraded from "earthshaking" to "interesting," and many are crying foul. They feel misled, cheated and deceived, and Grotzinger has been roundly condemned for blowing the discovery out of proportion. Should we feel this feel? Sure. Hell, I feel it. But this fiasco presents a unique opportunity to talk about how scientists should (and shouldn't) conduct themselves in the public eye — and why, sometimes, overzealous researchers may be exactly what we need.
    What the fuck?! Grotzinger isn't at fault here, and NASA isn't backpedaling. Joe Palca from NPR misunderstood Grotzinger during an interview, wrote a misleading article, and other press outlets went apeshit with speculation about it afterward. What part of this is so difficult to understand? Instead, Gonzalez launches into a tirade, during which he demonstrates he has even less of a handle on the situation than Palca. It's really pathetic. (Sorry to say, but after seeing a number of completely screwed up articles like this on their website, io9 is hardly a wise choice for science news.)

I think these writers need to stick to other subjects since they're clearly incapable of accurate science reporting. The ignorance is truly stunning to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Drithiend View Post
    If only it was only the media. Take a look at the previous pages. So many posters trying to make their fantasies come to life by isolating words and phrases from what has been said and twisting them to no end.

I think that it will be some very interesting news, and something for the history books, after all this is an expedition to Mars for goodness sake, but no, nobody discovered ET's house most probably.
    Sadly, you are correct too... the media does it because they know us humans who are media junkies, latch onto anything and blow everything out of proportion.

At this point... I'm not thinking it's water molecules anymore... I'm thinking they're going to unveil they found Al Capone's secret vault on Mars.

(((5 retro-points for anybody who gets the reference)))
    "Tell them only that the Lich King is dead... and that World of Warcraft... died with him..."

That's the ONLY reason you would post 9600 posts over 3 years: a mission of hate.

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    NASA havenever and will never tell us the truth, or at least 50% of it. I don't claim anything, but that's how it works.
    This persistent belief you have is horribly misguided.

---------- Post added 2012-11-29 at 02:26 PM ----------

At this point... I'm not thinking it's water molecules anymore... I'm thinking they're going to unveil they found Al Capone's secret vault on Mars.

(((5 retro-points for anybody who gets the reference)))
    If I ever see Geraldo Rivera anywhere near a NASA logo, I'm going to break things.

Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post
    misunderstood Grotzinger during an interview, wrote a misleading article, and other press outlets went apeshit with speculation about it afterward. What part of this is so difficult to understand? Instead, Gonzalez launches into a tirade, during which he demonstrates he has even less of a handle on the situation than Palca. It's really pathetic. (Sorry to say, but after seeing a number of completely screwed up articles like this on their website, io9 is hardly a wise choice for science news.)

I think these writers need to stick to other subjects since they're clearly incapable of accurate science reporting. The ignorance is truly stunning to me.
    While that's a great read... you might want to read all of that.

It sounds to me more like the author of the original article understood what Grotz said perfectly... particularly the bit about the dinner table with his kids.

Reading the NASA response sounds more like an attempt to down-play/re-write what Grotz said to the reporter, which happens a LOT in media. I've seen this a hundred times before in media (and, indeed, in the magazine I worked 11 years on).

And, no, I don't think this is some cover-up/conspiracy either. I think what we have here is some scientist who got uber excited because they found some goofy rare mineral on Mars or something scientific that gets him excited, but not his daughter (who just asks for ketchup in response to the news...)... I think it simply blew out of control and NASA is simply re-writing it to say "it's not that big of a deal, calm down. :P"

Much like the Segway was first being revealed... when the financeer hinted that it was going to replace the car, and the designer came out a day later and said "um... no, it's not. Really, it's not..."

They must have found the deodorant of one of my coworkers, since I'm 100% sure he lost his a long, long time ago.

If it's not that, I won't care for it much. Except perhaps if it are space bugs that can travel through space and shoot laser bomb things from their asses. I seriously have to watch those movies again, they're crap but fun anyway.

And of course alien life would make for a jolly good show, space aliens that of course speak English like most do in scifi.

I think it was something along the lines of: it's "earthshaking" for scientists, but for the common man it may just be "interesting".
    To declare that a personal, inner experience gives certainty about the workings of the universe is to assign far too much value to one’s subjective sense of conviction.
    I’m not that arrogant.

The brain, marvelous instrument though it is, isn’t infallible. It can misfire, seize or hallucinate, and it can do so in a way that’s utterly indistinguishable from reality to the person experiencing it.

It will probably end up being something like the surface of mars is made up up X% of __________ instead of the Y% they thought it was. And they will end up being really close numbers like 10% and 9.9999932752%.

Would be cool if they had detected a still active but very weak magnetic field or signs of life tho.

While that's a great read... you might want to read all of that.
    I did. A more careful examination (of the NPR article) on your part will reveal that you misread something.

It sounds to me more like the author of the original article understood what Grotz said perfectly...
    Doesn't seem that way to me. I still think Palca got confused while sitting at JPL for that interview. Any reporter who covers NASA ought to be familiar with how embargoes work with regard to upcoming published research, the protocols of the NASA/JPL press and public affairs offices, and the difference between official announcements and enthusiasm displayed by individual scientists.

... particularly the bit about the dinner table with his kids.
    That anecdote describes Richard Zare and the ALH meteorite (in 1996), not Grotzinger and Curiosity.

Reading the NASA response sounds more like an attempt to down-play/re-write what Grotz said to the reporter, which happens a LOT in media. I've seen this a hundred times before in media (and, indeed, in the magazine I worked 11 years on).
    I don't get that impression here. Webster was simply trying to quell the confusion, and I doubt he had much time to devote to the matter.

It might have been possible that people at NASA or JPL could have done a better job in addressing the situation from the onset, but I understand why that process isn't as efficient as it could be, and it didn't go through the proper channels in the first place. Besides, there simply isn't enough time for them to play whack-a-mole with all the hare-brained assertions and misconceptions that crop up in the media and blogosphere.
    Last edited by Sayl; 2012-11-29 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geminiwolf View Post
    So you're saying that if we did find evidence of intelligent life, they would just come out and say "hey guys that stuff we found, it was intelligent life forms and they're here on Mars!" You think the government would be ok with that letting NASA tell the whole world that there are intelligent life forms other than us?
    Yes certainly. I know it is the basis of most UFO tinfoil theories that confirming alien life would be impossible, but I don't really see this at all. It would make it to the headlines for a couple of weeks and spin off a ot of science and other projects. But common-man life would continue like before once the excitement settles.

Much like, say, after a Presidential election or the death of Michael Jackson.

Every religion that people believe in would change
    What? Scientific discovery having ANY impact on religion? Where have you been living the past 2000 years? Last I checked a majority of mankind still believe in bizarre old fairy tales in open defiance of observable and confirmable facts.

and the super over religious nut jobs would go insane starting riots and all sorts of chaos.
    In other words, just the same as we have now?

"No you can't release this information, what you will say is that it was a new type of element that could possibly be a future source of energy or fuel." Then after that they will cover the shit out of it and will be known as just a possible future energy source or fuel.
    You've clearly a very limited experience of how the science and engineering communities works. Either it would have to be covered up completely and can not be used for anything (otherwise someone will need to see the test results/theory that lead up to it), or it will all have to be released.

You don't even know what the government is doing. For all we know they may really be working with aliens with laser guns and spaceships and we don't even have a clue that that's going on while were just going on with our lives.
    Again, you wildly over-estimate the ability to cover stuff up. To mention just one thing, there are literally millions of amateur astronomers observing the sky, most of which cooperate with the professional community. Space ships and laser guns flying around the sky would be observed.

Quote Originally Posted by bregtann View Post
    What? Scientific discovery having ANY impact on religion? Where have you been living the past 2000 years? Last I checked a majority of mankind still believe in bizarre old fairy tales in open defiance of observable and confirmable facts..

Silicon based aliens could land on the Earth right now today that are billions of years old, and have the techonology to transport anyone to any part of the universe instantaneously, time travel, or whatever other extreme science fiction tech you can think of, and there would still be people who believe in creationism.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Silicon based aliens could land on the Earth right now today that are billions of years old, and have the techonology to transport anyone to any part of the universe instantaneously, time travel, or whatever other extreme science fiction tech you can think of, and there would still be people who believe in creationism.
    cus god created them too.