Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ...
7
15
16
17
  1. #321
    Legendary! Gheld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,859
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Conspiracy theories ftw, also I don't think you have any idea how small their funding is.
    That's not a conspiracy theory. The news fucks everything up, and people take that to their advantage.

    And heavily funded refers to the fact that almost all of its budget is allocated from federal tax revenues.

    And "it's only 0.5% of the federal budget" is a ridiculous statement. The estimated 2012 NASA Budget is over 17 billion dollars, and they should thus be accountable to the public.

  2. #322
    Bloodsail Admiral Vayshan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Netherlands - Draenor (EU)
    Posts
    1,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Vayshan View Post
    No matter what it has found... we won't be told anything other it was a glitch or it was something insignificant afterall. Nothing groundbreaking since that would be kept secret for the next 3 centuries.
    (I'll just quote myself here...)

    Wow, who knew!? /sarcasm

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-03 at 06:57 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by stuck4cash View Post
    Or sending people to Mars so that humans could mine it for Oil/Iron/Who knows what else. You don't think that the US would like to be in control of the oil for once? I know it's not going to happen even remotely in my lifetime but I always think about a what if of us getting off this planet and travelling around out there...
    Plenty of iron there, but NO oil. You do know how oil is 'made' right? Even if there was oil up there... don't think it would drop the oil price, transportation costs from Mars to Earth would be through the roof.
    Last edited by Vayshan; 2012-12-03 at 05:59 PM.

  3. #323
    This does seem pretty game changing to me.
    We've already known that these elements are abundant, but proof that the building blocks of life are abundant on a planet other than our own in the galaxy?

    Not understanding the significance of a discovery doesn't make it meaningless.

  4. #324
    Bloodsail Admiral Vayshan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Netherlands - Draenor (EU)
    Posts
    1,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    This does seem pretty game changing to me.
    We've already known that these elements are abundant, but proof that the building blocks of life are abundant on a planet other than our own in the galaxy?

    Not understanding the significance of a discovery doesn't make it meaningless.
    I can imagine a lot of people are pissing their pants out of hapiness, but there is nothing magical about our little world OR the materials found here. The universe is full of those building blocks, it's nothing supernatural :S

    EDIT:
    Maybe all it ever needed to blossom was plenty of water and time (and a protective atmosphere/magnetic field).
    Last edited by Vayshan; 2012-12-03 at 06:06 PM.

  5. #325
    Titan Adam Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sarif Industries, Detroit
    Posts
    12,530
    Quote Originally Posted by Vayshan View Post
    I can imagine a lot of people are pissing their pants out of hapiness, but there is nothing magical about our little world OR the materials found here. The universe is full of those building blocks, it's nothing supernatural :S
    Well there are people who think our world IS magical . . . but such a discussion is forbidden here.

    I do not believe the Earth is the anomaly some people think it is, neither do I think life is. Earth and life both formed through organic and natural processes, there's no reason why it can't, or wouldn't, happen elsewhere in the universe given the same conditions. Granted, it would be exceedingly rare for a habitable planet to be able to sustain life AND to form life, given that so many things have to go right, but given the vast, uncountable number of stars (100 billion stars in our galaxy, and 100 billion known galaxies, think about that for a moment) it's not so rare that it'll only happen once.

    If a video game developer removed tumors from players, they'd whine about nerfing their loss in weight and access to radiation powers. -Cracked.com

  6. #326
    Bloodsail Admiral Vayshan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Netherlands - Draenor (EU)
    Posts
    1,168
    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    Well there are people who think our world IS magical . . . but such a discussion is forbidden here.

    I do not believe the Earth is the anomaly some people think it is, neither do I think life is. Earth and life both formed through organic and natural processes, there's no reason why it can't, or wouldn't, happen elsewhere in the universe given the same conditions. Granted, it would be exceedingly rare for a habitable planet to be able to sustain life AND to form life, given that so many things have to go right, but given the vast, uncountable number of stars (100 billion stars in our galaxy, and 100 billion known galaxies, think about that for a moment) it's not so rare that it'll only happen once.
    Exactly. Plus it doesn't even have to be intelligent life. Both Mars and Venus are in the habitable zone of our Solar system, except Mars has no magnetic field to speak of so it can't protect itself against the solar winds and Venus just ended up being a huge greenhouse. Had conditions for those 2 orbs been just a slightly different, they too could've been blue and green.
    Last edited by Vayshan; 2012-12-03 at 06:16 PM.

  7. #327
    I am Murloc! Tommo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    5,532
    Dont really feel like reading 17 pages, can anyone fill me in on what they discovered and if its as amazing as they said it would be.

  8. #328
    Bloodsail Admiral Vayshan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Netherlands - Draenor (EU)
    Posts
    1,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Dont really feel like reading 17 pages, can anyone fill me in on what they discovered and if its as amazing as they said it would be.
    Something about NASA finding the building blocks of life on Mars.

  9. #329
    Epic! Mnevis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Buckeye State
    Posts
    1,667
    The news release from today doesn't mention anything about any building blocks, or really anything we didn't know about already. Basically all it says is 'hey cool, our gizmos work'. I was promised something for the history books!

    http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?release=2012-380

  10. #330
    According to this

    A team of scientists announced on Monday that the Mars Rover Curiosity had found evidence of organic compounds on the Red Planet.

    Martian soil samples analyzed aboard the rover revealed "water and sulfur and chlorine-containing substances," the space agency said in press materials.

    Scientists will now have to determine whether the compounds are indigenous to Mars. There is a possibility that the organics could have come to Mars from Earth aboard the rover. There is also a chance that they could be materials that had fallen to Mars from space.

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2217414.html

    That's what they discovered.

  11. #331
    Epic! Sayl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Scrubbity Burrow
    Posts
    1,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Here's the problem. It's been all over the media for nearly 2 weeks. So if the media did misquote them, the fact is they should have known, and they had roughly 2 weeks to issue a correction.
    They tried. As I noted earlier in the thread, Guy Webster (JPL spokesman) was trying to clear up the confusion with journalists who'd contacted him, the same day the NPR story was published. He was quoted early in Time and and a couple of other spots, but few were listening. Media speculation continued to grow over the next several days and finally boiled over to the point where an official statement was issued.

    I think an official release wasn't made earlier because (aside from this all happening over the Thanksgiving holiday) nobody knew that the press was going to get so out of control with a non-story.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Instead they chose to throw ethics out the window and bolster their public interest by riding the news diarrhea wave for as long as possible. And that kind of bullshit should not be tolerated from an institution that is heavily funded by public tax dollars.
    Seriously? That's quite a stretch. You should be directing your derision at the media anyway, since that's where the mistake originated (let alone all the needless hype). It boggles my mind that people get so butthurt about this episode that they're trying to throw scientists under the bus instead of properly assigning the blame to poor reporting.

    If NASA/JPL had been able to issue their release earlier, it might have helped (I'd like to think so, anyway), or it might not have made much difference. Many writers and bloggers were hell-bent on continuing the pointless speculation even after last Thursday's JPL statement.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-03 at 04:00 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I posted it on page 15. It's even quoted on this page, though they removed the link.
    I'd posted about it even earlier, but nobody reads threads anyway.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-03 at 04:21 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by FusedMass View Post
    Record-high corporate profits on Mars would indeed be big news. Unfortunately I think you linked the wrong article.
    Last edited by Sayl; 2012-12-03 at 10:06 PM.

  12. #332
    Quote Originally Posted by Vayshan View Post
    Plenty of iron there, but NO oil. You do know how oil is 'made' right? Even if there was oil up there... don't think it would drop the oil price, transportation costs from Mars to Earth would be through the roof.
    Would I be the only one who would find the irony of building a fleet of space cargo ships to get oil to fuel our outdated petrol-based land vehicles?
    "Tell them only that the Lich King is dead... and that World of Warcraft... died with him..."

    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    That's the ONLY reason you would post 9600 posts over 3 years: a mission of hate.

  13. #333
    Quote Originally Posted by bufferunderrun View Post
    nope there is treaty subscribed by over 100 nations that proibit any claiming and also any military base on the moon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outer_Space_Treaty

    I wonder how that works, cos the americans were planning on blowing up the moon in ww2! maybe thats what spurned this treaty!

  14. #334
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    La Défense (France)
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by KeirAdish View Post
    I am so glad I'm not the only one that was thinking that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post
    I'm betting he's also unfamiliar with the NASA Astrobiology Institute, its fundamental goals, participating scientists, member institutions, and partnerships.

    "Yeah, so we're going to create an entire branch of NASA dedicated to astro- and exobiology and task it with searching for life in the universe. Plus, we're going to team up with 180 member institutions and 10 international partners. We're also going to spell out all our goals clearly on a well-organized website so the public can read all about them in addition to any pertinent ongoing research. That way when we discover evidence of extraterrestrial life we'll be sure NOBODY ever knows about it."

    Pardon me while I giggle about this.
    How many people worked on "the bomb"?? And how many knew about it before Hiroshima?

    Of course there is no conspiracy... Because everybody knows There has never been any in (U.S.) History... Oh wait!!

  15. #335
    Quote Originally Posted by Groh View Post
    How many people worked on "the bomb"?? And how many knew about it before Hiroshima?

    Of course there is no conspiracy... Because everybody knows There has never been any in (U.S.) History... Oh wait!!
    The Manhatten Project is considered a conspiracy now?

  16. #336
    they found hydrocarbons but they don't want to get too excited because they don't know for sure if they came from earth via contamination.

    how they will ever know if it came from the earth or not with just a robot over there i'm not sure.

  17. #337
    Quote Originally Posted by hellboyy View Post
    they found hydrocarbons but they don't want to get too excited because they don't know for sure if they came from earth via contamination.

    how they will ever know if it came from the earth or not with just a robot over there i'm not sure.
    Not "just a robot". It's Curiousity! A robot with advanced analysis equipment onboard!

  18. #338
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    La Défense (France)
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    The Manhatten Project is considered a conspiracy now?
    try to read the context of my post with the quote I made plz. was talking about how can a government hide info, while many people worked on it...

    want some (US) conspiracy??? baypig in Cuba.
    Last edited by Groh; 2012-12-04 at 06:15 PM.

  19. #339
    Epic! Sayl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Scrubbity Burrow
    Posts
    1,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Groh View Post
    How many people worked on "the bomb"?? And how many knew about it before Hiroshima?

    Of course there is no conspiracy... Because everybody knows There has never been any in (U.S.) History... Oh wait!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Groh View Post
    try to read the context of my post with the quote I made plz. was talking about how can a government hide info, while many people worked on it...

    want some (US) conspiracy??? baypig in Cuba.
    Except NASA and the NAI work right out in the open with academic and scientific institutions, and not only publicize what they're doing, they aim to educate the public about it. If you think open scientific endeavors in peacetime bear any resemblance to secret military projects during wartime, your ability to reason is fundamentally flawed.

  20. #340
    They found Mankrik's Wife.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •