Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ...
    According to this

A team of scientists announced on Monday that the Mars Rover Curiosity had found evidence of organic compounds on the Red Planet.

Martian soil samples analyzed aboard the rover revealed "water and sulfur and chlorine-containing substances," the space agency said in press materials.

Scientists will now have to determine whether the compounds are indigenous to Mars. There is a possibility that the organics could have come to Mars from Earth aboard the rover. There is also a chance that they could be materials that had fallen to Mars from space.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2217414.html

That's what they discovered.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Here's the problem. It's been all over the media for nearly 2 weeks. So if the media did misquote them, the fact is they should have known, and they had roughly 2 weeks to issue a correction.
    They tried. As I noted earlier in the thread, Guy Webster (JPL spokesman) was trying to clear up the confusion with journalists who'd contacted him, the same day the NPR story was published. He was quoted early in Time and and a couple of other spots, but few were listening. Media speculation continued to grow over the next several days and finally boiled over to the point where an official statement was issued.

I think an official release wasn't made earlier because (aside from this all happening over the Thanksgiving holiday) nobody knew that the press was going to get so out of control with a non-story.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Instead they chose to throw ethics out the window and bolster their public interest by riding the news diarrhea wave for as long as possible. And that kind of bullshit should not be tolerated from an institution that is heavily funded by public tax dollars.
    Seriously? That's quite a stretch. You should be directing your derision at the media anyway, since that's where the mistake originated (let alone all the needless hype). It boggles my mind that people get so butthurt about this episode that they're trying to throw scientists under the bus instead of properly assigning the blame to poor reporting.

If NASA/JPL had been able to issue their release earlier, it might have helped (I'd like to think so, anyway), or it might not have made much difference. Many writers and bloggers were hell-bent on continuing the pointless speculation even after last Thursday's JPL statement.

---------- Post added 2012-12-03 at 04:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I posted it on page 15. It's even quoted on this page, though they removed the link.
    I'd posted about it even earlier, but nobody reads threads anyway.

---------- Post added 2012-12-03 at 04:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by FusedMass View Post
    Record-high corporate profits on Mars would indeed be big news. Unfortunately I think you linked the wrong article.
    Last edited by Sayl; 2012-12-03 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vayshan View Post
    Plenty of iron there, but NO oil. You do know how oil is 'made' right? Even if there was oil up there... don't think it would drop the oil price, transportation costs from Mars to Earth would be through the roof.
    Would I be the only one who would find the irony of building a fleet of space cargo ships to get oil to fuel our outdated petrol-based land vehicles?

Quote Originally Posted by bufferunderrun View Post
    nope there is treaty subscribed by over 100 nations that proibit any claiming and also any military base on the moon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outer_Space_Treaty

I wonder how that works, cos the americans were planning on blowing up the moon in ww2! maybe thats what spurned this treaty!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KeirAdish View Post
    I am so glad I'm not the only one that was thinking that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post
    I'm betting he's also unfamiliar with the NASA Astrobiology Institute, its fundamental goals, participating scientists, member institutions, and partnerships.

"Yeah, so we're going to create an entire branch of NASA dedicated to astro- and exobiology and task it with searching for life in the universe. Plus, we're going to team up with 180 member institutions and 10 international partners. We're also going to spell out all our goals clearly on a well-organized website so the public can read all about them in addition to any pertinent ongoing research. That way when we discover evidence of extraterrestrial life we'll be sure NOBODY ever knows about it."

Pardon me while I giggle about this.
    How many people worked on "the bomb"?? And how many knew about it before Hiroshima?

Of course there is no conspiracy... Because everybody knows There has never been any in (U.S.) History... Oh wait!!

Quote Originally Posted by Groh View Post
    How many people worked on "the bomb"?? And how many knew about it before Hiroshima?

Of course there is no conspiracy... Because everybody knows There has never been any in (U.S.) History... Oh wait!!
    The Manhatten Project is considered a conspiracy now?

they found hydrocarbons but they don't want to get too excited because they don't know for sure if they came from earth via contamination.

how they will ever know if it came from the earth or not with just a robot over there i'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by hellboyy View Post
    they found hydrocarbons but they don't want to get too excited because they don't know for sure if they came from earth via contamination.

how they will ever know if it came from the earth or not with just a robot over there i'm not sure.
    Not "just a robot". It's Curiousity! A robot with advanced analysis equipment onboard!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    The Manhatten Project is considered a conspiracy now?
    try to read the context of my post with the quote I made plz. was talking about how can a government hide info, while many people worked on it...

want some (US) conspiracy??? baypig in Cuba.
    Last edited by mmoc051d140155; 2012-12-04 at 06:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

try to read the context of my post with the quote I made plz. was talking about how can a government hide info, while many people worked on it...

want some (US) conspiracy??? baypig in Cuba.
    Except NASA and the NAI work right out in the open with academic and scientific institutions, and not only publicize what they're doing, they aim to educate the public about it. If you think open scientific endeavors in peacetime bear any resemblance to secret military projects during wartime, your ability to reason is fundamentally flawed.

They found Mankrik's Wife.