Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Because after you know what it is about, we can't be excited any more.

You know - like before Christmas when you are all excited about your present, then you find out it is a pair of socks and well - that's pretty much it.
    Still don't get it, but it's prob me...most likely because often it ends up being something lame.

Deleted
    Some flowers will have grown out of the soil, or something. ;P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by arynzr View Post
    give one example of what would change.
    oh hey i heard they found two bacilli on mars...life won't ever be the same.
    Scientificly, it would be huuuuge. That you jest about it without knowing the extreme weight of it all shows you are ignorant of what it would really mean.

---------- Post added 2012-11-22 at 02:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sareth View Post
    Some flowers will have grown out of the soil, or something. ;P

A...shrubbery!!!

---------- Post added 2012-11-22 at 02:27 PM ----------

i think humanity has bigger problems than alien lifeforms and space travels...and i couldn't care less about the religious guys anyways...
    whatever...may just be personal opinion.
    Not sure why you're in this thread proclaiming that you don't care. Several times.
    Please stop pooping on the party.

Deleted
    1: how could it in any way give you insight into this
    if you have one stone and then find another stone it doesn't tell you how stone 1 came into existence.
    2/3: we have conditions like this on earth aswell, we have life forms who don't need oxygen to exist. no need for mars bacteria.
    4/5: the possibilty of being alone in the universe is evanescent...

don't be so quick with your judgment, sheepbro.
    1) If you are a random guy, it doesn't. If you are a scientist, it may.
    Different chemical base perhaps? Non-carbon-based life? Or non-oxygen-based? Possibilities are infinite.

2/3) It's not only about oxygen - ultraviolet radiation, space rays, elements brought to surface by meteorites, great daily temperature swings, seasonal pressure swings. While we can emulate all of those conditions in labs/space stations, seeing their effect on long-time life in natural conditions is quite different.

4/5) Someone once compared the chance of life forming from the organics to a hurricane over a scrapyard accidentally creating a fully-operational Boeing. We don't even know how the life first appeared. We may very well be alone in at least a million nearby galaxies, if not alone in the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    And NASA isn't telling us until what they found has been checked, double-checked and checked again. The result may take weeks, but apparently "it's one for the history books".
    http://www.npr.org/2012/11/20/165513...ts-mum-for-now

Do you think NASA has found life or the remains of life?
    he found manbearpig
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    I've only just started a three-year course in biotechnology, with no previous knowledge in the subject, just extreme interest in this field. My thought on the matter is that they have maybe microbial life. But if you ask me, I think microbial life will be very common in the universe, it's complex life that will be more difficult to find, if you consider that there's a kind of bacteria and even complex life that lives in extremely hostile conditions here on earth in the present and mostly in the past. I think it's not far stretch to assume there will be life on any planet with a slight atmosphere, mars and venus seem to be the closest candidates.

I suspect it's a PR stunt, like the one a while back when they found some bacteria are able to live in very acidic conditions here on earth. Technically that's also one for the history books but it was a bit of a letdown considering the way they announced it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbert West View Post
    1) If you are a random guy, it doesn't. If you are a scientist, it may.
    Different chemical base perhaps? Non-carbon-based life? Or non-oxygen-based? Possibilities are infinite.

2/3) It's not only about oxygen - ultraviolet radiation, space rays, elements brought to surface by meteorites, great daily temperature swings, seasonal pressure swings. While we can emulate all of those conditions in labs/space stations, seeing their effect on long-time life in natural conditions is quite different.

4/5) Someone once compared the chance of life forming from the organics to a hurricane over a scrapyard accidentally creating a fully-operational Boeing. We don't even know how the life first appeared. We may very well be alone in at least a million nearby galaxies, if not alone in the universe.
    first one: not carbon based life?...i don't think so
    2/3 alright, there are alot of different possibilities...i'll give you that.
    4/5 that guy probably also believed in a earth that was 6000 years old and speaking snakes and stuff...

and @ creamyflames. good job on giving me one example...this shows exactly how much you know about this topic...about as much as me.
    i am aware of it being a bada boom for astrbiologists etc...but you as a person wouldn't notice jackshit.
    nothing would change here on earth, except of maybe a little increased funds for space related science for 5 years, then we'd be back to normal.

lay down your pink sunglasses.

Deleted
    I'll wait for the results rather than speculate, the reason they triple check everything is because quite often first impressions can be false.

Also

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    he found manbearpig
    Al Gore, first man to walk on Mars? It's more likely than you think.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    I doubt it's something as huge as life on Mars. Maybe more along the lines of it has the potential to sustain life, in the future.

I don't know. At any rate, I am ridiculously excited to find out what this could be. I mean... if it IS life, then everything changes. Everything.
    No it doesn't. Nothing changes really. Life on Earth is at least 3 billion years old. We find meteorites from Mars and other bodies in the solar system all the time. So all discovering microscopic life on Mars would mean is that it got there from Earth by a meteorite.

But I bet it's probably more along the lines of "oh my gosh, we discovered a rare clay that forms only above this and that latitude at a much lower latitude" or something boring like that..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post
    No it doesn't. Nothing changes really. Life on Earth is at least 3 billion years old. We find meteorites from Mars and other bodies in the solar system all the time. So all discovering microscopic life on Mars would mean is that it got there from Earth by a meteorite.

But I bet it's probably more along the lines of "oh my gosh, we discovered a rare clay that forms only above this and that latitude at a much lower latitude" or something boring like that..
    Then the question would be. How did that clay get there?

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    I'm going to guess it is something related to water. I highly doubt it's related to life.
    I don't know what would be HUGE about that? I thought they already said there was signs of water on mars?

---------- Post added 2012-11-22 at 08:48 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Because after you know what it is about, we can't be excited any more.

You know - like before Christmas when you are all excited about your present, then you find out it is a pair of socks and well - that's pretty much it.
    This was one of the funniest comments on MMO-C in a while. Thank you for that.

Deleted
    Could be so many things, there's really no point in guessing.

Deleted
    first one: not carbon based life?...i don't think so
    2/3 alright, there are alot of different possibilities...i'll give you that.
    4/5 that guy probably also believed in a earth that was 6000 years old and speaking snakes and stuff...

and @ creamyflames. good job on giving me one example...this shows exactly how much you know about this topic...about as much as me.
    i am aware of it being a bada boom for astrbiologists etc...but you as a person wouldn't notice jackshit.
    nothing would change here on earth, except of maybe a little increased funds for space related science for 5 years, then we'd be back to normal.

lay down your pink sunglasses.
    That guy was a scientist. Can't find the quote atm, though.
    Just imagine, the chance that all the required elements and substances get together at the same moment, and some unknown catalyst is also there and causes it all to "come alive" and it also somehow develops a complicated structure, feeding instincts and ability to split into progeny. Kinda... improbable?

i think humanity has bigger problems than alien lifeforms and space travels...and i couldn't care less about the religious guys anyways...
    whatever...may just be personal opinion.
    aliens could just be explained as angels if you listen to shows like coast to coast you'll find there's a pretty solid pocket of this belief. anunaki or something like that.

i'd love it to be like a martian sand worm or some kind of prehistoric fossil that suggests life evolved on mars at the same time as on earth, but then the atmosphere destabilised or something and everything died - like what wiped out the dinosaurs, but had a more drastic effect on the planet than it did on earth

but it's probably just gonna be news of water + fertile soil or something allowing for manned missions to mars.
    <insert witty signature here>

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smokii View Post
    but it's probably just gonna be news of water + fertile soil or something allowing for manned missions to mars.
    That news would be SO much better than discovering life there.

I'd rather them send people there in the next 10 years than do another 100 years of "gentle probing" so not to contaminate the environment with Earth lifeforms to examine some boring bacteria.

Prothean artifact of course, what else?

EDIT: Damn it, beaten at the last second!