Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    that humans came from mars

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yzak View Post
    Curiosity cost was about 2.5 billion, and that was for Mars. While it would be expensive to go to the moon, yes; but not what you're making it out to be.
    Expensive in terms of opportunity cost.

Quote Originally Posted by dupti View Post
    Something.

Quote Originally Posted by dewote View Post
    okay just a rock, with traces of coal on it.
    coal yes!!!!!

all i want for chrissy is a lump of coal

but some idiots contaminated the rover before it left earth
    Last edited by TrapTripper; 2012-11-23 at 02:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mujje View Post
    They have found a fully working dance studio. The Orc's forgot to bring it when they went to azeroth.
    I bet it is all the Draenei important roles in lore, tucked away in a little box,

---------- Post added 2012-11-23 at 02:42 AM ----------

Curiosity cost was about 2.5 billion, and that was for Mars. While it would be expensive to go to the moon, yes; but not what you're making it out to be.
    Something people tend to forget is that the money used for those missions is not blown to the universe alongside with the rockets. That money goes to companies, enterprises and workers, effectively paying those people's salary and circulating the currency. The money isn't simply lost xD
    Last edited by Azgraal; 2012-11-23 at 02:42 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So they finaly found it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Robotic missions (obviously) are significantly cheaper. The Apollo program cost the equivalent of over $100 billion today. Previous NASA estimates from 2005 (when the Bush administration's previous space policy, the Vision for Space Exploration, called for a return to the Moon) show how expensive a proposition it is, and unsurprisingly the VSE ended up getting canned because it was way too costly. As former administrator Griffin noted, the expenditure necessary to design and implement new launch vehicles, crew vehicles, and logistics would have resulted in the first new-generation lunar landing costing 55% of the original Apollo program. Needless to say, that's over three times NASA's annual budget.

---------- Post added 2012-11-22 at 09:12 PM ----------

Nor am I trying to make light the amount of planning that would go into a moon landing; but for someone to say that the cost of going to the moon is the main reason for us not going back there is a bit weak.
    I'm not sure why you think it's weak when 1) it's the reason the Apollo program was shut down prematurely in the first place, and 2) it's the reason the plug got pulled on the VSE before it even produced functional launch vehicles.
    Last edited by Sayl; 2012-11-23 at 03:35 AM. Reason: Typos.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see what difference it makes. Unless they're intelligent life forms who can communicate with us and set up a mutually beneficial rapport, it really won't change anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnowo View Post
    Here's a number of possibilities I considered:
    - Gems, powder or other earthly "precious"
    - Water, oil or traces of other liquids
    - Any kind of product that could be used as fuel
    - Fossils or any kind (hence the "history" reference)

My take from the cryptic way NASA is talking that they found a Multicellular Fossil. That would mark a point in history when humanity realized life is not uncommon.

Gems, Water, and many useful elements are on Mars, and the asteroid belt, this is already known and wouldn't be a source of "for the history books".
    Water, and most liquids are interesting but they know that there is ice in the poles, so finding water would be like finding water on the moon, which they did 4 years ago. Not a historic moment. Oil on the other hand is a type of fossil, and that would be a historic moment

---

I should point out that single cell fossils or even current living single celled life would not be as historic since they have already proven that bacteria can be transplanted between planets. So the academic community would ask did it come from Earth in the past.
    Last edited by Gothicshark; 2012-11-23 at 04:14 AM.

Deleted
    when are they going to announce what they found?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    For some reason the back of my mind says "December 3rd".

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Grotzinger says they recently put a soil sample in SAM, and the analysis shows something earthshaking. "This data is gonna be one for the history books. It's looking really good," he says.

I don't know - but earthshaking and one for the history books seems more than finding a bit of methane or something.

Signs of possible life would only be something for the science books, finding past life on the other hand would be something for the history books.
    The Catholic church will make sure it never see's the light of day.

they're gonna double and triple check everything

it'll be a few weeks

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    And NASA isn't telling us until what they found has been checked, double-checked and checked again. The result may take weeks, but apparently "it's one for the history books".
    http://www.npr.org/2012/11/20/165513...ts-mum-for-now

Do you think NASA has found life or the remains of life?
    No matter what it has found... we won't be told anything other it was a glitch or it was something insignificant afterall. Nothing groundbreaking since that would be kept secret for the next 3 centuries.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sometime during the first week of December, at the American Geophysical Union's fall meeting.

Edited to add: given the locale, anyone hoping for something truly earth-shattering is probably going to be rather disappointed.
    Last edited by Sayl; 2012-11-26 at 10:17 PM.

Deleted
    Tired of waiting? Here's a leaked picture:
    http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/5...reen002gr2.jpg

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Celticmoon View Post
    I have always believed that Mars was another life supporting planet, but that something ended it. Either the core died out, or some life/planet ending scenario happened.
    From what I've read, you're right. It could have been a life supporting planet, but unlike Earth, it was stillborn. It's small, for one thing, and at some point in the past its molten core stopped spinning and solidified. That means no plate tectonics releasing material into orbit to create an atmosphere, and no magnetic field to retain that atmosphere.

Mars being small means its weak gravity isn't able to retain a thick enough atmosphere for life, the solar wind keeps blowing it away. There is a thin atmosphere though, note that you can't see the stars when watching video footage from the rovers there. It's caused by frozen water deposits at the poles leaking into the air, and by the dust being blown around by the terrific winds.

I read about this a while ago, so may well have forgotten or misremembered bits.

So, two problems: Mars isn't geologically active, and it's too small. Solution? Crash an asteroid into it, preferably one which has frozen water deposits. Do so at such an angle that Mars' orbit will be shifted to be closer to the sun when it stabilizes. Then, possibly, the added mass, added water, closer orbit, and volcanic activity might make it possible to eventually terraform Mars to be a sister to Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity16 View Post
    just so im clear, nobody owns space correct?

how does that work btw :S - the moon was first landed on by americans (supposedly..) - they put the american flag up (supposedly..) was that any kind of declaration of the land? if they found some kind of mega mineral, would it be a race in space to colonize mars?

im hoping for somethign exciting, buttttt I somewhat feel that even if they release some "Earth shaking" information, it will NOT be all the information they have, doubt they let the big secrets of what they have found out..
    The flag was put there because the astronauts were Americans.

The plaque that was left there actually reads as follows.

Here men from the planet Earth first set foot upon the Moon. July 1969 A.D.

It also has the signatures of the Astronauts and President of the US. Other than Nixon's signature, there's nothing suggesting that land belongs to the Moon. I really can't imagine colonizing the Moon and NOT granting that particular patch of land to the United States, though. Or maybe it would be a Switzerland where all the lunar countries come together to discuss politics. That would be awesome.

Also the flags America left up there have been bleached white by solar radiation. So really they truce flags now.

I fucking love Science.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity16 View Post
    just so im clear, nobody owns space correct?
    Space is by law the common heritage of all mankind. So,

the moon was first landed on by americans (supposedly..) - they put the american flag up (supposedly..) was that any kind of declaration of the land?
    No it wasn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skatblast View Post
    I loved that line
    Back when they had good writing.

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Space is by law the common heritage of all mankind. So,
    You can be sure the only reason that "law" exists is that space travel isn't common-place. Once most people can go into space easily, societies will start claiming stuff.