Page 1 of 17
... LastLast
    Deleted

Curiosity has discovered something on Mars

And NASA isn't telling us until what they found has been checked, double-checked and checked again. The result may take weeks, but apparently "it's one for the history books".
    http://www.npr.org/2012/11/20/165513...ts-mum-for-now

Do you think NASA has found life or the remains of life?

15+ Year Old Account
    Ooh, consider my curiosity piqued.

I doubt it's something as huge as life on Mars. Maybe more along the lines of it has the potential to sustain life, in the future.

I don't know. At any rate, I am ridiculously excited to find out what this could be. I mean... if it IS life, then everything changes. Everything.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    I doubt it's something as huge as life on Mars. Maybe more along the lines of it has the potential to sustain life, in the future.

I don't know. At any rate, I am ridiculously excited to find out what this could be. I mean... if it IS life, then everything changes. Everything.
    That could be the reason they are taking some time to be sure of the test results. They want to really make sure that it's not a contaminated sample and that what they're seeing is correct.

Deleted
    They have found a fully working dance studio. The Orc's forgot to bring it when they went to azeroth.

I'm going to guess it is something related to water. I highly doubt it's related to life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seriously can't wait to find out what it is.

A paper i read today stated the 3rd of December as the date NASA will make the announcement; but i guess we'll need to wait and see.
    Kanx - Protection Warrior (Armory)

Deleted
    give one example of what would change.
    oh hey i heard they found two bacilli on mars...life won't ever be the same.

Grotzinger says they recently put a soil sample in SAM, and the analysis shows something earthshaking. "This data is gonna be one for the history books. It's looking really good," he says.

I don't know - but earthshaking and one for the history books seems more than finding a bit of methane or something.

Signs of possible life would only be something for the science books, finding past life on the other hand would be something for the history books.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to guess it is something related to water. I highly doubt it's related to life.
    And water isn't ? :P

I think what they have found is "huge" from a scientific pov, but for the general public kinda "meh" and not that exciting.

I for one am very excited to hear what it is they found.

10+ Year Old Account

please <3

Deleted
    I can't understand why people are excited before they even know what it is about.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by arynzr View Post
    It would give us insight on how life is formed, maybe on how life first appeared. It may even give insight into how to create life artificially.
    It would give us insight into ways of evolution in such drastically different worlds as Earth and Mars.
    It may possibly give us insight into different forms of life than the ones we know. Hell, life in Martian conditions probably is another form of life.
    It would give us proof, that life is not an Earth-unique phenomena.
    It would give us proof that we are not alone in the universe, even if our only neighbors are bacteria on a nearby planet.

But for an ignorant guy living in a basement it wouldn't mean anything, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    I can't understand why people are excited before they even know what it is about.
    Because after you know what it is about, we can't be excited any more.

You know - like before Christmas when you are all excited about your present, then you find out it is a pair of socks and well - that's pretty much it.

10+ Year Old Account
    *crosses fingers* please be The Martian Manhunter please be The Martian Manhunter please be The Martian Manhunter.

It's probably not him....

Oh well, hope they have found proof that life existed on Mars, that would be amazing to discover I also hope if they find out they didn't find anything, they let us know what they thought they had found.

Quote Originally Posted by arynzr View Post
    Funding could be re-routed back to NASA; efforts redoubled in the search for other planets to inhabit, or even other alien races to encounter. The public eye would be turned back to the stars, not to mention A LOT of religions would probably flip some tables over the discovery.

We could even see privatised ventures into space. On an individual level, sure, maybe you won't see big changes... but in the big picture? It'd be pretty ground-breaking.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbert West View Post
    It would give us insight on how life is formed, maybe on how life first appeared. It may even give insight into how to create life artificially.
    It would give us insight into ways of evolution in such drastically different worlds as Earth and Mars.
    It may possibly give us insight into different forms of life than the ones we know. Hell, life in Martian conditions probably is another form of life.
    It would give us proof, that life is not an Earth-unique phenomena.
    It would give us proof that we are not alone in the universe, even if our only neighbors are bacteria on a nearby planet.

But for an ignorant guy living in a basement it wouldn't mean anything, of course.
    1: how could it in any way give you insight into this
    if you have one stone and then find another stone it doesn't tell you how stone 1 came into existence.
    2/3: we have conditions like this on earth aswell, we have life forms who don't need oxygen to exist. no need for mars bacteria.
    4/5: the possibilty of being alone in the universe is evanescent...

don't be so quick with your judgment, sheepbro.

Deleted
    Here's a number of possibilities I considered:
    - Gems, powder or other earthly "precious"
    - Water, oil or traces of other liquids
    - Any kind of product that could be used as fuel
    - Fossils or any kind (hence the "history" reference)

It'd be pretty ground-breaking.
    Yep - evidence of life outside our own biosphere no matter how tiny, is evidence that we are not unique. If life can develop on two adjacent planets, then it is not only not unique - but possibly common.

Deleted
    Funding could be re-routed back to NASA; efforts redoubled in the search for other planets to inhabit, or even other alien races to encounter. The public eye would be turned back to the stars, not to mention A LOT of religions would probably flip some tables over the discovery.

We could even see privatised ventures into space. On an individual level, sure, maybe you won't see big changes... but in the big picture? It'd be pretty ground-breaking.
    i think humanity has bigger problems than alien lifeforms and space travels...and i couldn't care less about the religious guys anyways...
    whatever...may just be personal opinion.