Thread: Wizardry Online

Wizardry Online

There are about 300 beta keys left on MMORPG.com. It's an F2P MMO from SoE supposedly for the hardcore players. I'm downloading it as we speak.

http://www.mmorpg.com/giveaways.cfm?offer=398

Well crap. Loaded the game and it changed my desktop resolution. WTF? lol

Just signed up so thanks, I remember playing these games when I was much younger.

On the official website it had a small section called 3 great reason to play

the reason where
    Hardcore MMORPG Players Rejoice! -woot
    Avoid Permadeath! - er...okay?
    Amazing Anime Characters and Creatures! -... ya how about no, I'm out!

Wow. That seems incredibly lame.

3 great reasons to play:
    1. Hardcore MMORPG Players Rejoice! (How is that a reason?)
    2. Avoid Permadeath!
    3. Amazing Anime Characters and Creatures!

In the text at the bottom of the page:
    With the risk of permadeath always looming, players group with trusted allies to survive. Using skill based combat, and a little bit of luck, players battle to defeat amazing anime creatures, cheat death, and live to tell the world!

... What?

Outdated graphics, and what seems to be hack'n'slash mmo. Wow. I'd go play vindictus... :S

EDIT: This has to be a troll...
    Thirty years in the making, Wizardry Online is a Free to Play, hardcore fantasy MMORPG.
    "The first prerequisite of an advanced being is a sense of humor"

Yes. This is directed towards you. y so srs?

Quote Originally Posted by Galil ACE View Post
    Perma-death is sort of fun.
    It sure is, but when the website can't even tell us whether there's perma-death or not...
    "The first prerequisite of an advanced being is a sense of humor"

Yes. This is directed towards you. y so srs?

Quote Originally Posted by Merodium View Post
    Thirty years in the making, Wizardry Online is a Free to Play, hardcore fantasy MMORPG.
    I think it's based off an IP that's thirty years old, so...they're correct if you think about it in a really strange way?

Played it a bit a while, ago, first 2 hours were enough to make me lose all interest. One of the worst intro's to a MMO I've ever experienced.

Already deleted it. Talk about flushing good memories down the drain.

Quote Originally Posted by Merodium View Post
    It sure is, but when the website can't even tell us whether there's perma-death or not...
    Yes, there is permadeath, and the website does tell us. What part of that was ambiguous to you? Avoid permadeath? Yea, that kind of is the point- you don't really want to lose your character, although the danger of it does make things interesting. With the risk of permadeath always looming- this really seems like an explicit confirmation to me.

And for the record, permadeath isn't a certain thing here either. When you die, you have 2 chances to earn your way back, at great personal (in-game) cost. Even when you survive, death is a really bad thing- chances are you'll have to sacrifice some of your good equipment.

This'll definitely be a niche game, and the graphics aren't really the best, but it certainly looks interesting (coming from someone who got a key but hasn't had a chance to play yet). I'm looking forward to trying it- I miss games like FFXI and Everquest where death was a big deal.

Are there things to do besides combat? If not, throw it on the body pile.

Tried it for just a little bit today, and I'm really liking it so far. Sure, the graphics are outdated, but it's not that bad. I certainly don't mind the anime style- it kind of reminds me of FFXI, so I'm actually liking that. I'd give details, but the beta is under NDA.