Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Challenge Modes for TBC and WoTLK Dungeons...Make it Happen!

...and for Cat dungeons also for that matter, but it might be too soon to bring those back since it was only last expansion.

But basically, I really like the concept of Challenge Mode Dungeons, and personally think that TBC and WoTLK dungeons are ripe to get the challenge mode treatment. They were all (or most at least) designed with a post-vanilla design philosophy in that they we're all more or less linear and streamlined, and built with the concept of being completed in 30 minutes or less.

I'd like to see in a future patch 3-4 dungeons from both TBC and WoTLK updated and tuned for challenge modes. The idea is to pick them based on popularity, interesting fight mechanics, art design, lore, and other factors that made them fan favorites. Of course, I'd like to see this done more than once, and eventually see them all implemented. But here's the ones I'd pick for the first batch...

Burning Crusade

- Hellfire Ramparts
    - Shadow Labyrinth (With some trash thinned out)
    - Steamvault
    - Mechanar

Would have picked Shattered Halls and Sethekk Halls over Steamvault and Mechanar, but felt it was more important to get variety and not pick two from the same instance hub.

Wrath of the Lich King

- Utgarde Keep
    - Halls of Lightning
    - Drak'Tharon Keep
    - The Nexus

I'll pick four Cataclysm dungeons also, even though I think they are a lessor priority at first.

- Halls of Origination
    - Grim Batol
    - Stonecore
    - Vortex Pinnacle

Now you're probably wondering....what about Vanilla dungeons? I personally feel that Vanilla dungeons are best suited for "Remakes"...in the vein of Scarlet Monastery and Scholomance. Put a greater effort into these to redesign them with updated bosses, story, and layout and include 2-3 of them each expansion...which in turn would give us their challenge modes anyway.

The TBC and WoTLK dungeons dont need to be redesigned, just scaled up and tuned for challenge modes. Which would make it easier for Blizzard to do a batch of these once or twice an expansion in a patch update.

Battle of the Badasses - Warcraft Edition

Congrats to Medivh

Bracket Results Here

10+ Year Old Account
    Holy shit I completely agree, but no doubt you'd have people whining about how it was just rehashed content ermagerd why cant blizzard do something original
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyxes View Post
    Taco dinner, movie at my mancave then I'll surprise her with a TCG tabard and tell her I love her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    my gf left me, should i Just go gay?
    Xothic - Prot Paladin

10+ Year Old Account
    Two things.

Firstly, post it on the official forums.

Secondly, this would be something only a small percentage of players will see (as very few people are doing Challenge Modes right now). It will probably be buried for a while.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

I don't think HoO is a good candidate with its layout and optional bosses (which they can change of course). I'd prefer Shattered Halls over Hellfire Ramparts too, it's much more fun imo.
    Q: Where the fuck is Xia Xia, SIU?!?!
    A1: She needs to start making eggs for Easter...
    A2: Drunk and sleeping somewhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Notos View Post
    I don't think HoO is a good candidate with its layout and optional bosses (which they can change of course). I'd prefer Shattered Halls over Hellfire Ramparts too, it's much more fun imo.
    Drop Halls of Origination, add Zul'Aman (as it's already half way there to a Challenge Mode run).

Agree with Ramparts, it's farmed to death with the way Death Knights come into LFD.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

I'm not too sure about this. I like how they're sorta bringing old raids back by letting you solo them without the hassle of being in a group. But with these instances, you sorta do them still with leveling alts but I don't see why not, it would give people more stuff to do and I don't think it will be hard for the staff to accomplish this. you got my vote

They'd have to redo all boss encounters practically or totally retune the difficulty for max level. Most of the stuff in ICC was very trivial in mechanics / not difficult at all. I remember running heroics with groups and achieves popping up left and right on fresh toons. BC was not about mechanics but was just overtuned at the time it was live - in this situation they'd have to add some more mechanics to each fight.

I don't think it'll happen. That's a lot of work for very little reward. Maybe one or two dungeons could be revamped, but that'd be it.

Deleted
    would be a lot better if they'd do dungeons involving this horde vs alliance thingy in 5.1.. not really a fan of reusing old stuff, its retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Xothic View Post
    Holy shit I completely agree, but no doubt you'd have people whining about how it was just rehashed content ermagerd why cant blizzard do something original
    Worse... they'll complain it's not worth doing cus you don't get stat loot. >_<

Quote Originally Posted by Yau View Post
    They'd have to redo all boss encounters practically or totally retune the difficulty for max level. Most of the stuff in ICC was very trivial in mechanics / not difficult at all. I remember running heroics with groups and achieves popping up left and right on fresh toons. BC was not about mechanics but was just overtuned at the time it was live - in this situation they'd have to add some more mechanics to each fight.

I don't think it'll happen. That's a lot of work for very little reward. Maybe one or two dungeons could be revamped, but that'd be it.
    It wouldn't be very much work because you're basically just scaling up the health pools and damage output of the mobs and bosses inside the dungeons. All of the fights are designed for 5-Man parties and nothing graphically would need to be changed in any of the dungeons.

Congrats to Medivh

Bracket Results Here

Challenge modes need to be more popular first. Currently not that many people are doing it.

Also, Shattered Halls challenge mode...... oh God more nightmares, it was bad enough to run it in TBC!

Do it Blizzard, since you just let your brilliant old content rot with shit items and no updates (and im not talking scholomance updates where you axe 7/8th of the bosses) >

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    Challenge modes need to be more popular first. Currently not that many people are doing it.

Also, Shattered Halls challenge mode...... oh God more nightmares, it was bad enough to run it in TBC!
    That's what makes them so fun though. They are in some ways, like 5-man raids. The timed runs are just a bonus. Just the fact that I have to actually pay attention and use my proper heal spells during 5-man dungeons makes it highly entertaining for me.

Congrats to Medivh

Bracket Results Here

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, it seems like Blizzard agrees, from the interview on front page. An idea they're throwing around:

Q: Are there any tweaks coming in future patches?
    A: Quality of life stuff mainly. ...

One thing that we thought about is what new challenge mode dungeons we can add. One potential place to explore would be going back and creating challenge modes for some of our older dungeons. Imagine a level 90 challenge mode version of Shattered Halls, Arcatraz, or some of those dungeons.

It really makes a ton of sense to do this to all the old dungeons eventually. With the way gear is normalized, it would make all these dungeons playable and tough for the duration of WoW.

Congrats to Medivh

Bracket Results Here

10+ Year Old Account
    would make sense and would be a good way of not letting the content die.
    Hi

It should be Shattered Halls, Shadow Labryinth, Arcatraz and Magister's Terrace (I hate all coilfang instances).

Would you like some Oculus with that?

Can't say I don't like the idea, but it would take some more development time, because it's not only HP & damage adjustments. A lot of dungeon bosses have trivial mechanics even with damage adjustments or have practically nothing at all. Some would probably need the SM/DM-treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebert View Post
    Two things.

Firstly, post it on the official forums.

Secondly, this would be something only a small percentage of players will see (as very few people are doing Challenge Modes right now). It will probably be buried for a while.
    I think making Bc and Wotlk 5mans into challenge modes would actually attract more people. Especially if they were to make them drop heroic level gear.

---------- Post added 2012-11-18 at 10:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by laplacedemon View Post
    Would you like some Oculus with that?

Can't say I don't like the idea, but it would take some more development time, because it's not only HP & damage adjustments. A lot of dungeon bosses have trivial mechanics even with damage adjustments or have practically nothing at all. Some would probably need the SM/DM-treatment.
    That is one 5man I hope to never see. I hated Oculus so much lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuke1096 View Post
    Just the fact that I have to actually pay attention and use my proper heal spells during 5-man dungeons makes it highly entertaining for me.
    It takes a challenge mode to do this?

After seeing what Blizzard did to revive previous dungeons in Cata, I'm more not interested in revisiting the dungeons in LFG. Would rather savior them without the hurry up and wait mentality. I go through them enough with alts as it is.

What was done to Sunken Temple was a pure shame. I can see Kara's stage and chess events snuffed out for expediency next.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."