Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    They must have been driving quite fast to get cars on top of cars like that. Well, it is to be hoped that at least some people will drive a little slower now, especially in conditions like that.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    We shouldn't make driving a bigger deal than it really is. All you have to do is to pay attention and you are most likely going to be fine; highways or the autobahn are actually very safe places. The greatest difference is really the driving education. While in the US you get taught how to drive from your father (or mother, whatever), in Germany it's a professional teacher who really teaches you how watch out for every minor thing. I had a very passive teacher and since I got my license I haven't got any points, tickets or accidents; 5 years flawless and counting. That's what matters, not if you reach point B 5 minutes faster than anybody else.

My other friend had a teacher who didn't give a fuck about him. Drive however you want, "this is what you have to do to pass" and speeds of 180km/h on the Autobahn as a noob without license. Guess what? First accident after a few months.

Good learned driving behavior becomes your standard quite fast and doesn't go away if you are not a complete fool.

In the US all you have to do is to pass the driving test somehow. Granted, even in Germany some very stupid people manage to get it done right after the 6th time.

When I'm behind the wheel, it's all business, and I expect my passengers to understand I may completely ignore them if I'm not simply driving coolly down the highway, but have to actually pay attention. But eyes are 100% on the road, pretty much 100% of the time.

I wish sooooo much that other drivers took driving as seriously as I do. It seems like we have a lot of people on the road who treat driving like a game, it really irks me, something I struggle not to get upset about.

Just as bad as people who recklessly speed are the drivers who refuse to go with the flow of traffic and actually cause traffic disturbances by going too slow. Inconsiderate behavior could easily lead to accidents like these.

/end rant
    Last edited by Dacien; 2012-11-24 at 06:37 PM.

When driving, always assume everyone else is a complete and utter moron. But don't forget that it's important to show patience, not rage.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance