Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    My authenticator "refuses" to be used only once a week !

    I specifically did not check the "ask for authentification every log-in" box, yet my authenticator still refuses to accept this fact 'til this day.

    It annoys me, because it will probably reduce the authenticators life-span quite drastically.

    Do you guys have any ideas how to fix this or ran into a similar problem ?

    I even checked and un-checked the box with the "ask for authentification every log-in" option again and again to make sure that my choice is "hammered home", but it still refuses.

    Can customer support fix this or does the issue maybe lie on my part ?

  2. #2
    has nothing to do with your Authenticator itself.

    If your IP address changes, the next time You connect to wow it will ask you for an authenticator. So if you reset your router/it crashes/ etc you will hae to use your authenticator the next time you log in.

  3. #3
    Are you running on wireless laptop ?

  4. #4
    Correct me if im wrong but i think it may have something to do with the fact of changing ip everytime you try to log in.

    Mine works fine and only asks me for the code once a week, but when i reset the router or disconnect for a long time it always asks me for a new code...

  5. #5
    What if have found is that if you shut down your pc or it shuts off, you will have to redo it authentication when you start back up. Might be one of the problems. If not i hope you find what it is
    I play many games. WoW, Rift, D3, PoE, SC2 I will not criticize your game choice if you don't mine.

  6. #6
    Warchief Azgraal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The Unvanquished City of Porto, Portugal
    Posts
    2,229
    I'd wager it is your router/modem changing the attributed address of your pc, thus making the game servers think you are on a different computer.
    Disclaimer: The majority of my posts might be dripping in sarcasm. Don't take everything I say literally.




  7. #7
    You got lucky. My girlfriend refuses to be used one week out of the month!

    Also jokes about "log-in box".

    OT: I would call customer support if it's a persistent issue.

    Similarly, if you are worried about the lifespan of your Authenticator I would consider getting the smart phone app if possible - it is far less likely to run out of battery unless you have issues charging your phone properly.

  8. #8
    The check once a week depends on the system being able to confirm you are on the same computer at the same location, I have had other non-blizzard services that try and do the same things have trouble telling that I am on the same system in the same place, but I don't know enough about those systems to tell you how to even try and fix it.

  9. #9
    Pandaren Monk Auloria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,941
    Are you on a laptop and moving around? If you are loggin in from the same location you should only get the request once a week. You might ping customer service.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by TequilaFlavor View Post
    I specifically did not check the "ask for authentification every log-in" box, yet my authenticator still refuses to accept this fact 'til this day.

    It annoys me, because it will probably reduce the authenticators life-span quite drastically.

    Do you guys have any ideas how to fix this or ran into a similar problem ?

    I even checked and un-checked the box with the "ask for authentification every log-in" option again and again to make sure that my choice is "hammered home", but it still refuses.

    Can customer support fix this or does the issue maybe lie on my part ?
    Nothing to do with the device. The login server prompts you to authenticate everytime it detects a different IP than than the one you used to login last time.

    If you're using an ADSL connection, which changes IPs very frequently, you will get lots of authentification prompts.

  11. #11
    Quite a lot of people now use a router which is on all the time, hence they have effectively static IPs (until they restart the router). If you have an internet connection that turns off with your PC (like ye olde days), then your IP will change and you'll have to use your authenticator again.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    you're likely wrong, and we don't care anyway.
    Source

  12. #12
    Many ISP's nowadays use dynamic IP's that change regularly as it is cheaper and easier for them to do so. Some will give you a static IP if requested, and with some its an upcharge or you have to get buisness class service for a static IP. Call your ISP and ask them about it, there is nothing blizzard can do from their end.

  13. #13
    Immortal Maklor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    7,767
    Quote Originally Posted by phred754 View Post
    Many ISP's nowadays use dynamic IP's that change regularly as it is cheaper and easier for them to do so. Some will give you a static IP if requested, and with some its an upcharge or you have to get buisness class service for a static IP. Call your ISP and ask them about it, there is nothing blizzard can do from their end.
    It depends a lot on where you live, in Denmark static IP's have always been the far most common.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-23 at 12:30 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth View Post
    Quite a lot of people now use a router which is on all the time, hence they have effectively static IPs (until they restart the router). If you have an internet connection that turns off with your PC (like ye olde days), then your IP will change and you'll have to use your authenticator again.
    Pretty sure that isn't how it works, because if you have an isp that gives you a dynamic ip they will renew your connection from time to time.

  14. #14
    [QUOTE=Maklor;19187114]It depends a lot on where you live, in Denmark static IP's have always been the far most common.[COLOR="red"]

    Not sure what its like in other parts of the world, speaking from a purely USA standpoint here.

  15. #15
    I got an DSL modem that is running 24/7, so it doesn't shut down when my PC does, I'm only ever playing from my desktop which I (quite obviously) don't move around.

    Could I still get chaning IPs and therefore run into problems ?

    Thanks for all the prompt answers btw.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by TequilaFlavor View Post
    I got an DSL modem that is running 24/7, so it doesn't shut down when my PC does, I'm only ever playing from my desktop which I (quite obviously) don't move around.

    Could I still get chaning IPs and therefore run into problems ?

    Thanks for all the prompt answers btw.
    Yes you could, it all depends on your isp.

  17. #17
    Immortal Maklor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    7,767
    Quote Originally Posted by TequilaFlavor View Post
    I got an DSL modem that is running 24/7, so it doesn't shut down when my PC does, I'm only ever playing from my desktop which I (quite obviously) don't move around.

    Could I still get chaning IPs and therefore run into problems ?

    Thanks for all the prompt answers btw.
    Problems is an exaggeration, it's an inconvenience at worst.

    But if you have an ISP with dynamic IP's your IP will change no matter if you turn off your modem or not.
    Last edited by Maklor; 2012-11-23 at 12:22 AM.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    But if you have an ISP with dynamic IP's your IP will change no matter if you turn off your modem or not.
    this isn't true for quite a few UK ISP's as they will let you hold an IP as long as there is a connection so you could in theory hold the same IP for months, but then you also have some that will do a refresh if the connection isn't actively being used causing a reconnection and IP change, but this is more common with ISP's that have to drop the speeds at peak times.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Luciferiuz View Post
    You got lucky. My girlfriend refuses to be used one week out of the month!

    Also jokes about "log-in box".

    OT: I would call customer support if it's a persistent issue.

    Similarly, if you are worried about the lifespan of your Authenticator I would consider getting the smart phone app if possible - it is far less likely to run out of battery unless you have issues charging your phone properly.
    Lol good one

  20. #20
    You could accidentally not actually have the box checked.

    Generally having your IP address change frequently is something someone does intentionally. Does anyone else use your computer? They may have set it up to reset your IP constantly, perhaps if they don't want people to locate them or are downloading music or movies.

    Restarting or shutting down your computer doesn't typically cause an IP change just 'cuz. Using wireless doesn't matter as long as it's in the same place, and I can log in somewhere else, have to use my authenticator, then when I log in at home again it doesn't need my authenticator because it still recognizes my home IP.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •