Poll: sheets duvet or both?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

americans do you use quilts?

in all american films these days or tv shows you look at any bed and they have no quilts only "sheets" (like duvet sheets but without the duvet)

im from the uk and sleeping without a duvet/quilt is practically unheard of is this the norm in america is a question i have thought about for many a year haha

thanks for helping me solve this enigma inside of a riddle inside of a question.

Quote Originally Posted by strombae View Post
    in all american films these days or tv shows you look at any bed and they have no quilts only "sheets" (like duvet sheets but without the duvet)

im from the uk and sleeping without a duvet/quilt is practically unheard of is this the norm in america is a question i have thought about for many a year haha

thanks for helping me solve this enigma inside of a riddle inside of a question.
    I use a comforter, or a blanket...I just don't call them quilts.

Deleted
    I don't know but I don't use a quilt too, only several blankets, during the Winter. During the summer I don't use blankets at all.

But I think it's pretty normal, worldwide, not using quilts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sheets and a comforter usually. If it's a warm summer night though, just sheets. When I think of a quilt I think of something that you'd hang on a wall as decoration.

I don't know anyone who owns a quilt. Everyone just uses sheets.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say nowadays most folk use a comforter and sheet combo instead of a duvet. Quilts are quite common though but for many Americans quilts are heirlooms. I would never buy a quilt but I have several made by my grandmothers. Even for non heirloom ones it is more of a home-made, personal item. Not that you can't buy them in stores but yeah. Duvets are pretty uncommon though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I usually have 3-6 fleece blankets, I'm not even sure if those qualify as "sheets" as they are certainly blankets.

Quote Originally Posted by dupti View Post
    Something.

i use sheets and a quilt... its cool in the summer & warm in the winter.

Deleted
    a comforter and quilt (as the term is used in the UK) are the same thing. I have never heard of anybody in England use the term Comfoter so i wikied it and from the loopks of it they are the same thing, also called Duvet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sheets and a comforter. I had a quilt once. An afghan too, and no, not a person from Afghanistan lying on my bed, a type of blanket.
    Putin khuliyo

Quilts, comforters, blankets, it's all the same thing to me.

I use a comforter and sheets.

What's the difference between a quilt and a comforter though? o_O
    Currently playing: Stuff
    YouTube|Hearthstone Decks|Twitter|MyAnimeList

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe that most Americans think of a quilt as a decorative piece that you buy from an Amish couple at some sort of festival.

I thought many of those states with many of scandinavian descent used duvets... The best invention in the world since the pillow.

Yea I break out the quilt in the winter but a thin blanket is plenty for spring/summer.

Deleted
    whats a comforter?

---------- Post added 2012-11-23 at 12:28 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    I thought many of those states with many of scandinavian descent used duvets... The best invention in the world since the pillow.
    and yes in the uk duvets/quilts (same thing) are the norm i used "sheets" during my time in kenya and south africa but i thought that was because of the extreme heat or poverty :P

10+ Year Old Account
    whats a comforter?

---------- Post added 2012-11-23 at 12:28 AM ----------

and yes in the uk duvets/quilts (same thing) are the norm i used "sheets" during my time in kenya and south africa but i thought that was because of the extreme heat or poverty :P
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comforter
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Obviously you've never been to the American south.

Never used a quilt

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
    I usually have 3-6 fleece blankets, I'm not even sure if those qualify as "sheets" as they are certainly blankets.
    wat.

Don't you get pretty damn warm when you go to bed? XD I think I would toast with so many blankets.

I only use one sheet, one blanket and one comforter, and even with that, I get pretty hot, sometimes.