Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    If it was a male with false allegations I have no doubt he'd be pursued to the full extent.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    You're just repeating the old bullshit line that false accusations occur left and right. They don't and when they do occur they're blown way out of proportion and treated like they're the norm. With respect to false accusations and the effect they have on reporting rates the blame lies with people who act like false accusations are common.
    Why would someone even claim that false accusations occur left and right? I don't know anyone worth listening to even in MRA communities who's made such a claim. Usually the topic of false allegations only comes up in topics regarding reduced standards for rape convictions (such as preponderance of evidence standards that many "feminists" have been striving for, and succeeding in some jurisdictions).

Perjury is a crime all its own. You can't simply avoid prosecution of it because you're afraid of harming another statistic.

From my experience volunteering in support groups (and also online anonymous groups fwiw):

For victims who are thinking about reporting the crime, I have absolutely heard the question: "Can I get in trouble if I can't prove he's guilty?"

When they do try to press charges, victims almost always want to quit, especially if it's a friend or family. The legal process is AWFUL. The police interrogate you like you are a suspect. A lot of people give up on pressing charges. I gave up on pressing charges. It's not hard for me to imagine that someone could be in a situation where they want to give up but the police want to keep going, so they decide to recant. Rape victims are NOT rational people.

If recanting is a crime, most victims will say that doesn't apply to them and wouldn't think about it. But I can imagine you can get some victims who start the legal process and say "no, I give up", and if the police try to bully them with criminal charges, there could be a huge lashback when they report back to the community. So, it could depend on how it plays out.

On the other hand, I think a massive factor in victims avoiding reporting is that people won't believe them. That is caused primarily by people who make false accusations (and rapists take advantage of this!). You could argue that prosecuting false accusers may actually do more to help increase reporting of real rapes, over time, than not prosecuting.
    Last edited by Auloria; 2012-11-23 at 08:20 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    I believe you just argued against yourself at the same time as attempting to argue for yourself.
    No... I believe you're not getting my point.

People who commit false allegations should be punished because they harm the credibility of real victims.

I haven't been shown any evidence that people don't report that they were raped based on a fear of being convicted of false accusal. I have, however, seen evidence that shows that people don't report it because they don't think anything will come of it.
    yeah because people dont get raped if they're convicted of false accusation right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Jim View Post
    And how exactly did he go to jail in the 1st place if there was no physical evidence ?! The judge convicted him just cause a little girl said so ?!
    The jury did. As for how it even made it to trial, I have no idea. Once it got to trial, I know exactly what happened. The jurors, like many jurors do, assumed he was guilty because he was on trial. They believed the testimony of a little girl because 'why would she lie?' and because rape is such an emotional topic.

Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    yeah because people dont get raped if they're convicted of false accusation right now.
    I don't think the punishment is particularly relevant to the people who were raped, I think what is going through their minds is an utter hatred and a profound feeling of helplessness that they don't want to expose to others when they don't think anything will come from it.
    Last edited by v2prwsmb45yhuq3wj23vpjk; 2012-11-23 at 08:09 AM.

I don't think it would do much at all.
    Take a rape victim. Probably panicking right? All kinds of image issues, confidence gone, self worth non existent etc etc.

Now tell them that if they give a false report they'll be raped. You don't see how they might be worried that if nothing comes of their report they'll be raped?

If I was told that falsely reporting a theft would result in all my things being taken you can sure as shit bet I won't ever report theft.
    You've not being paying close attention, then.
    False accusation rates are around 3%. That's not "so, so many times". The only reason these stories could even effect reporting rates is because the mens rights crowd act like they're common. The problem in this regard isn't the false reports, its the people who act like they're common.

---------- Post added 2012-11-23 at 08:08 AM ----------

I believe you just argued against yourself at the same time as attempting to argue for yourself.
    I enjoyed it.

False accusation rates are around 3%. That's not "so, so many times". The only reason these stories could even effect reporting rates is because the mens rights crowd act like they're common. The problem in this regard isn't the false reports, its the people who act like they're common.
    3%? Wow; that's high!
    And that's NOT so, so many times? That's three out of every one-hundred allegations! How is that not a lot?
    As for the men's rights groups: Nopes; it's not that. These stories feature so much because they make juicy drama. This is news that sells. It's tabloid news. That's why.

Absolute numbers are pointless here.

Take a rape victim. Probably panicking right? All kinds of image issues, confidence gone, self worth non existent etc etc.

Now tell them that if they give a false report they'll be raped. You don't see how they might be worried that if nothing comes of their report they'll be raped?
    No, because nothing coming of a rape report doesn't mean that they will be convicted of a false report.

So let me get this straight, you think that false accusations are extremely low but think that reports of rape would suffer significantly by punishing an even smaller group within that 3%?

They actually are pretty significant. With the way information travels, things that are uncommon can seem a lot more common simply because you can view samplings from all over due to wide spread media coverage.

I don't think the punishment is particularly relevant to the people who were raped, I think what is going through their minds is an utter hatred and a profound feeling of helplessness that they don't want to expose to others when they don't think anything will come from it.
    and you think the possibility of it happening again wouldnt have any untoward effect? how strange.

Deleted
    Would be quite ironic if she'd really get raped now, and nobody would believe her anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    and you think the possibility of it happening again wouldnt have any untoward effect? how strange.
    I don't think that they would even consider the possibility of their being falsely convicted of false accusation.

That isn't to say that I think that false accusers should be raped. There are like 8,000 reasons not to do that.

So... That's the argument? Really?
    Look; your mention of 'enjoyment' of my 'failure' to argue for myself (which was not a failure at all, mind, unless you somehow didn't read it) was insulting. But this is just weak.

No, because nothing coming of a rape report doesn't mean that they will be convicted of a false report.
    yeah....not sure why you think a rape victim is so rationally thinking things through.
    So let me get this straight, you think that false accusations are extremely low but think that reports of rape would suffer significantly by punishing an even smaller group within that 3%?
    Raping people for giving false reports is pretty high profile. Have that happen to a couple people and suddenly every woman who would report a rape is worried she's putting herself at risk for being raped.

The fear of not being believed is also extremely common. From that you can make the hypothesis that victims would be afraid of not being believed, and then thrown in jail, for making a report, out of a misunderstanding of the law.

I don't think that they would even consider the possibility of their being falsely convicted of false accusation.
    Really? You don't think the possibility of being raped is going to cross the mind of a rape victim?

---------- Post added 2012-11-23 at 08:16 AM ----------

I mean this is a think that already happens. Rape goes widely unreported in large part because women are afraid they won't be believed.

yeah....not sure why you think a rape victim is so rationally thinking things through.

Raping people for giving false reports is pretty high profile. Have that happen to a couple people and suddenly every woman who would report a rape is worried she's putting herself at risk for being raped.
    I still have not seen evidence of rape victims being concerned with being legally punished for reporting it. At least, not in places like the US.
    Really? You don't think the possibility of being raped is going to cross the mind of a rape victim?
    I don't think they would consider it as a possibility. Kinda like with people who don't think they will be caught, only the victim feels they have right on their side.

I mean this is a think that already happens. Rape goes widely unreported in large part because women are afraid they won't be believed.
    Yeah, they worry about not being believed, not being punished. As in, they worry about pointlessly embarrassing themselves.

Deleted
    I wonder how guilty she feels, and how long it has played on her mind - I imagine that would leave you really fucked up - she will need therapy

I still have not seen evidence of rape victims being concerned with being legally punished for reporting it. At least, not in places like the US.
    Should do some reading on why rape is so under reported. The AMA actually did a study on it that I can dig up later.