Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Yeah Fiend, you might be shocked to know that fingerprints are often inconclusive and that a rape victim usually doesn't just rush off to the local PD.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
    Because it would be criminalizing false claims. Even if a claim is real the woman is usually afraid no one will believe her. Now she's thinking "wow, no one will believe me AND I could go to jail/get a criminal record."

Plus if some bitch lies and gets a guy thrown in jail on rape charges then later wants to recant, she's probably going to be less likely to do it if there's a penalty for doing so.
    So the proper solution is to NOT punish perversion of the justice system? That seems to be what you're saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Because... wearing gloves is hard?

I'm actually on your side in that rape victims don't always have much to go on... but even a rape victim where their rapist used a condom or some implement (Like that female cop who anally raped someone she'd arrested with her billy club) will have more to go on than someone who was the victim of a crime where they never made physical contact.
    right.. but i dont hear anyone going around saying "*real* theft victims always have incontrivertable evidence".

I don't see how taking action against a liar would discourage real rape victims. While fear of people not believing them is a factor, it's not the only factor. There's fear of the rapist, the fear of everyone knowing they were raped, the fact that they might be trying to hide the even because they don't want to even think it ever happened, etc. I don't see how calling out a proven liar would affect the credibility of future cases. That's just jumping to conclusions. It's not the same as THINKING they lied, it's a straight up fact they lied. "Well, they thought that one girl was lying, so no one is going to believe me" versus "Well, that one girl was definitely lying, so no one is going to believe me"

The only cases that I can see discouraging real rape victims are those left ambiguous. Someone going free but you're still not sure if he really raped someone or not.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Also, it's should HAVE. NOT "should of". "Should of" doesn't even make sense. If you think you should own a cat, do you say "I should of a cat" or "I should have a cat"? Do you HAVE cats, or do you OF cats?

If that's neither here nor there then that last sentence was simply a personal attack. Kudos to you for that.

I didn't say that false accusations were a large problem compared to rape. I said this particular case was an example of a larger problem... which it is.
    Do you have some data for false accusation rates? Most reliable I can find is 3%. For the US the rate of unreported rape is estimated around 60%. "large problem comparatively" is an understatement.

I mean I can't even find statistics for false accusations that lead to convictions that are later overturned. Its largely an imagined crisis from the internet and mens rights activists.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    Strange, I thought lying in a court of law WAS a criminal offense.
    Come on...it's not like if a chick says "this guy raped me" and then the jury finds him innocent the chick doesn't get any penalty. At least I've never heard of that.

Bruising, Witnesses fingerprints and DNA testing. This give plenty of evidence.

Not all rapes are done my mastermind rape-ninjas who wear full bodysuits and fuck you like a leaf glides on the wind.

"It was consensual rough sex officer."

Case dismissed.

Rapes are almost impossible to prove.

There seems to be two parts here.

A) The legal system did not perform it's due diligence and let someone be put in jail, wrongfully, for 9 years.
    B) The legal system did not perform "Blindly" on the grounds that they want to encourage other people who've lied to a judge and jury and wrongfully sent someone to jail.

In a perfect world, the courts, the perpetrator's defense, and law enforcement should be able to descern such lies before a verdict. In the case of a mistake, there should be a degree of confidence that such mistakes are bound to happen in a system concieved by humans, but are rare enough that there shouldn't be enough wrongly accused in prison to try and lower or nullify the punishment for the person who's undermined the justice system.

She's cost another person 9 years of his life. Her state and country has had to sustain this person for 9 years, on top of the fact that this person was (I presume) contributing in some part to society. I understand that she was a minor when she made her testimony, but coneptually, the legal system should be blind to everything but facts. In an ideal world, Age, Race, and Gender should all be made irrelevant.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Yeah Fiend, you might be shocked to know that fingerprints are often inconclusive and that a rape victim usually doesn't just rush off to the local PD.
    So you'd much rather have the crime hang on a woman's testimony over any over kind of evidence? Hell, a Psychological profiling would probably be grand in this situation but does that ever get taken into account on the woman?

You see, I am saying woman because male rape cases are laughed out of the door on all but the most serious cases.

---------- Post added 2012-11-23 at 07:04 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Auloria View Post
    "It was consensual rough sex officer."

Case dismissed.

Rapes are almost impossible to prove.
    What kind of backwards world to you live in where the police will back a man's case against a womans?

So you'd much rather have the crime hang on a woman's testimony over any over kind of evidence? Hell, a Psychological profiling would probably be grand in this situation but does that ever get taken into account on the woman?
    What the fuck is it about rape and gender threads that make nuance so fucking difficult?

This is an example of how rediculous our society has become. The threat of unreported rapes is great, but the injustice of a false report is much greater. Simply because the evidence against rapists is difficult to obtain does not mean society bears the responsibility to assume the guilt of the perpetrators to a greater degree, even if the crime is great.

so the DA doesn't want to charge the girl for perjury, but was fine going after the dad for rape...? BS. if i was that father, i'd bring charges up against the DA/state. if nothing else, he deserves 9 years worth of income he lost. add to that pain and suffering both mental and physical (cause he did hard time and you know what happens when you do hard time) and he should come out alright. this time tho, he needs to find a better lawyer than the crappy one that got him sent to jail with no rape evidence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biske View Post
    And she took THAT long to admit it? And on top of that, that man's reputation was tarnished for all those years, aside from being in jail. This is horrible.
    No, his reputation is tarnished for the rest of his life. He was convicted of raping a child. People aren't going to care or even see that it was a fraudulent charge and bullshit conviction that was later overturned - you're still going to be a registered sex offender, and guess how well people are gonna treat you because of that?

I mean, who the fuck cares that it's complete bullshit and didn't actually happen - let's not let the facts get in the way of righteous indignation, right?
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
    Come on...it's not like if a chick says "this guy raped me" and then the jury finds him innocent the chick doesn't get any penalty. At least I've never heard of that.
    Thats more of a case of courts favoring Women, but let's make another example.

Murder case. Person testifies and says he was right at the scene of the murder and saw everything. On HIS evidence the murderer is put away. Years later the "Witness" retracts his statement, the prisoner now goes free.

There are twofold problems with this. 1) it allows shakey evidence to put away people. 2) it allows bribery to win a court case.

so the DA doesn't want to charge the girl for perjury, but was fine going after the dad for rape...?
    Given the time between the incidents I doubt its the same DA, not to mention they wouldn't let the same guy make that call.

In all likelihood the father will sue the state for compensation and he should.

Oh look, Wells is in here arguing against a very easy to understand concept again. I don't care if she was five when it happened. Anyone who falsely accuses of rape should be punished as harshly as a rapist, no matter how much later it gets discovered that it was false. The guy's life was ruined. It's complete crap that in this system, a woman or child can accuse a man of anything and she'll win the case.

Do you have some data for false accusation rates? Most reliable I can find is 3%. For the US the rate of unreported rape is estimated around 60%. "large problem comparatively" is an understatement.

I mean I can't even find statistics for false accusations that lead to convictions that are later overturned. Its largely an imagined crisis from the internet and mens rights activists.
    If the most reliable data you can find is that 3% of allegations are false does that mean it's acceptable to let such crimes go unpunished? I never said or even implied that it's a "crisis". It's an issue that needs addressing.

Deleted
    What the fuck is it about rape and gender threads that make nuance so fucking difficult?
    The simple matter that Social Justice bigots will defend any and all chances for a minority to have the commanding power in a situation. Hell, there are more reported male rapes cases a year than female rape cases a year due to prisons. But do you see anyone moving to stop them?

If the most reliable data you can find is that 3% of allegations are false does that mean it's acceptable to let such crimes go unpunished? I never said or even implied that it's a "crisis". It's an issue that needs addressing.
    What I'm saying is that fears of women making false accusations are wildly overblown and that the rate that rape goes unreported is underappreciated.

---------- Post added 2012-11-23 at 07:12 AM ----------

The simple matter that Social Justice bigots will defend any and all chances for a minority to have the commanding power in a situation. Hell, there are more reported male rapes cases a year than female rape cases a year due to prisons. But do you see anyone moving to stop them?
    Why yes I do.

You're also mixing your political causes there. Arguments for a softer more humane prison system almost always come from the left here, not the right.

15+ Year Old Account
    Thats more of a case of courts favoring Women, but let's make another example.
    No...I'm pretty sure even if a man made the claim he wouldn't be penalized either.

Murder case. Person testifies and says he was right at the scene of the murder and saw everything. On HIS evidence the murderer is put away. Years later the "Witness" retracts his statement, the prisoner now goes free.

There are twofold problems with this. 1) it allows shakey evidence to put away people. 2) it allows bribery to win a court case.
    If shaky evidence is going to put people away then it's going to put people away. It sucks, but it happens. All punishing this girl would do is make people fessing up later less likely.