Page 1 of 31
... LastLast

"Rape victim" recants testimony that sent man to jail for 9 years. No punishment.

Can someone please fucking explain how this isn't a perversion of the justice system? She didn't just send a man to jail... the man was her father.

Daughter's rape lie recanted; Kalama father freed after 9 years

They're not pursuing criminal charges (of any sort) because "it might discourage real victims from coming forward".

Doesn't this just say that there are no repercussions for false allegations of rape?

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a double-edged sword: If they make an example of her, they discourage the possibility of false rape charges to appear. However, it also runs the risk of victims fearing that if something happens that they go to the police and their rapist gets free, of being charged because of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, that's bullshit. If they really wanted to give the correct impression to real rape victims, they'd pursue the living shit out of her and say "This is what happens when you damage the credibility of future rape victims." I know, I know, their credibility isn't REALLY damaged, directly, but once more and more recanted testimonies pop up, it will be harder and harder to believe girls when they claim to have been raped.

Personally, I think rapists and people who lie about having been raped should have the exact same punishment.
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post
    Yeah, that's bullshit. If they really wanted to give the correct impression to real rape victims, they'd pursue the living shit out of her and say "This is what happens when you damage the credibility of future rape victims." I know, I know, their credibility isn't REALLY damaged, directly, but once more and more recanted testimonies pop up, it will be harder and harder to believe girls when they claim to have been raped.

Personally, I think rapists and people who lie about having been raped should have the exact same punishment.
    I think denial of someone's freedom (through perversion of justice) is tantamount to kidnapping and wrongful imprisonment (keeping someone locked up in your basement).

There's really no practical difference.

I wonder how long it'll be before people come in thinking this is acceptable behavior of a criminal justice system.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lupii View Post
    It's a double-edged sword: If they make an example of her, they discourage the possibility of false rape charges to appear. However, it also runs the risk of victims fearing that if something happens that they go to the police and their rapist gets free, of being charged because of it.
    It's ok to go after the male but not the female.

I see where you're coming from but his life is completely ruined, some could probably argue well beyond the trauma that a rape victim goes through.

Unfortunately there's no real answer to this but it's very sad for the father (and to all the other men and women that go through a similar things).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post
    I agree 100%, however, she was an 11 year old girl at the time being upset from her parents divorcing, can't really slam the ban hammer on her now for being emotionally scarred from when she was little. Parents divorcing can be fairly traumatic for a child. Not to say what she did was right by any means though...
    "The Maw's thirst is unquenchable. If it is not fed fresh victims, it will not hesitate to drink from its wielder instead."

Deleted
    The thing I'm confused about: How did they convict a man on an 11 year old's say so with no evidence whatsoever?

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol, isn't the justice system fantastic?
    "The Maw's thirst is unquenchable. If it is not fed fresh victims, it will not hesitate to drink from its wielder instead."

Quote Originally Posted by Goretusker View Post
    The thing I'm confused about: How did they convict a man on an 11 year old's say so with no evidence whatsoever?
    Because "why would she lie?" is a question asked pretty much all the time and Americans in general still feel women are virtuous wilting flowers who can do no wrong.

Many women's groups are even trying to get proving rape cases dropped from "Beyond reasonable doubt" to "preponderance of evidence" which is usually used in grand juries to determine if there should be a trial in the first place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinho View Post
    I agree 100%, however, she was an 11 year old girl at the time being upset from her parents divorcing, can't really slam the ban hammer on her now for being emotionally scarred from when she was little. Parents divorcing can be fairly traumatic for a child. Not to say what she did was right by any means though...
    Article mentions nothing about "emotionally scarred", only that "she was disappointed in her father after her parents divorced.". Also, she would probably be closer to twelve when the actual verdict fell, and any damn twelve-year-old should know better than to claim daddy raped her, just because he was mean enough to divorce the girl's mother.

Believe me, I'm usually all for protecting both children and people who did stupid things AS children, but we are talking about a girl who was old enough to know better, and 9 years of a man's life. SOMETHING should happen to her, even if just a judicial slap on the wrist.

Edit: Shit, I didn't mean to go full rawr-mode on you. Lying about raping is simply a legal pet-peeve of mine -.-
    Last edited by Calzaeth; 2012-11-23 at 06:03 AM.
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

10+ Year Old Account
    That's what boggled my mind as well. So much for the justice system, and 'innocent until PROVEN guilty'. I'm seriously at a loss for words here, I simply can't believe that this freaking happened. And in my home state, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

And she took THAT long to admit it? And on top of that, that man's reputation was tarnished for all those years, aside from being in jail. This is horrible.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Also, it's should HAVE. NOT "should of". "Should of" doesn't even make sense. If you think you should own a cat, do you say "I should of a cat" or "I should have a cat"? Do you HAVE cats, or do you OF cats?

This is actually a pretty common thing when these cases come to light like this. Man's been in jail for years, women was like "Yeah I lied" and the prosecutors won't even touch the case because "they don't want to discourage real victims".

Remember that black kid who was on track to be part of the NFL and went to jail till he was almost 30? Yeah not only that but the "victim" sued the school she was at for $1 million based on that case. Guess what kind of punishment she got.

Given the problems with rape being unreported I can see what they're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Given the problems with rape being unreported I can see what they're talking about.
    A man went to jail for 9 years for no reason and you don't think that warrants punishment? You've got to just be fucking with me this time, Wells.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it was anything else i doubt she'd have gotten away with it. However people tend to 1) Turn off logic and up emotions but about 20 trillion times upon hearing a child(especially a girl) talk about being hurt and 2) we tend to be a bit overcompensational when it comes to rape and as such we are a bit more eager to convict with flimsy evidence.

As such rape is both one of the hardest and easiest things to convict. But yeah TBH i feel those who raise false charges should have their entrails ripped out by flaming talons....And actually I'd give a rapist a lesser punishment. A rape victim CAN recover maybe not full or at all in some cases but they CAN recover. A man convicted of rape(at least in the US) and ESPECIALLY of a child is pretty much DOA. He will go to jail and be beaten and horribly abused. Upon leaving even if freed and cleared he will STILL be regarded as a suspicious individual. If not cleared he will essentially be doomed never to be employed(even if cleared employment is still an iffy thing) among other things. Then they gotta deal with the demonizing the restrictions(a sex offense is a sex offense in the US) and essentially is it any wonder these guys have among the highest recidivism rates of any group. They're not even ALLOWED to try and recover.

In short those who falsely raise charges like this may as well be condemning these men/women to a life of living hell worse than almost any other form of living hell. Thus i feel false accusers should get the worst punishment of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    A man went to jail for 9 years for no reason and you don't think that warrants punishment? You've got to just be fucking with me this time, Wells.
    You know if this discussion opens with a strawman I'm really not interested in talking about it with you.

She probably told the lie to get back at her father, and it ballooned out of control. I'm sure that she was afraid that she would have to spend her life in prison. 12 year old kids know better, but they aren't savvy by any means.

I don't think that the problem of rape going unreported is very heavily related to fear of being punished for falsely accusing somebody of rape.

You know if this discussion opens with a strawman I'm really not interested in talking about it with you.
    Alright. This chick perpetrated a crime; albeit when she was a minor BUT a crime nonetheless.