Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    To the daughter: nothing. For a number of reasons; from her age, to the statute of limitations, to the impact it could have on other women coming forward with the truth.
    Wouldn't it be easier to discourage the lying in the first place than to take someone's liberty, then have to use taxpayer money to compensate them for the injustice done to them later? Just a thought.

And it seems the man had the misfortune of living in Washington State as well, might want to look up what kind of compensation they offer for in cases like this.
    Last edited by Haarvald; 2012-11-24 at 02:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haarvald View Post
    Wouldn't it be easier to discourage the lying in the first place than to take someone's liberty, then have to use taxpayer money to compensate them for the injustice done to them later? Just a thought.
    So setting up a system where if a woman accuses a man of rape, and the man is declared innocent, the woman is punished for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    A man went to jail for 9 years for no reason and you don't think that warrants punishment? You've got to just be fucking with me this time, Wells.
    Just imagine what he went through in prison. Wouldn't take long for other inmates to find out he's in there for rape. btw op, he went to prison, not jail. two completely different animals.

So setting up a system where if a woman accuses a man of rape, and the man is declared innocent, the woman is punished for it?
    Fuck that sounds like a good idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coombs View Post
    So if a man rapes a woman, and she attempts to charge him with rape, but there isn't enough evidence and the case falls through.. on top of being raped and losing the case, she gets charged for perjury?

So if a man rapes a woman, and she attempts to charge him with rape, but there isn't enough evidence and the case falls through.. on top of being raped and losing the case, she gets charged for perjury?
    There is a difference between losing a case and proving that someone is lying about the entire investigation. A friend of mine in the military supposedly burst into this woman's room and raped her in the middle of the night. Mind you me and him were fishing at the time and when we came back at 10am on a Saturday they took him away in cuffs and the unbelievable amount of paperwork it took to get it to go away. Nothing happened to her. "I must have passed out drunk and dreamed it".

That's a pretty terrible idea. Big difference between punishing people who very clearly lied, and imposing a penalty if you accusation doesn't yield a conviction. The latter could happen for any number of reasons.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is a difference between losing a case and proving that someone is lying about the entire investigation. A friend of mine in the military supposedly burst into this woman's room and raped her in the middle of the night. Mind you me and him were fishing at the time and when we came back at 10am on a Saturday they took him away in cuffs and the unbelievable amount of paperwork it took to get it to go away. Nothing happened to her. "I must have passed out drunk and dreamed it".
    Now you're subjectively adding circumstances to change the conditions of what you just said.

Deleted
    How about if there's clear evidence to suggest she's lied about the rape - then yeah, she should have the book thrown at her?

Quote Originally Posted by Auloria View Post
    She probably told the lie to get back at her father, and it ballooned out of control. I'm sure that she was afraid that she would have to spend her life in prison. 12 year old kids know better, but they aren't savvy by any means.
    I'm with this guy on this. 12year olds are sentient but they're not smart nor can they necessarily oversee the results of their actions.

That's all that can be said on this matter, unfortunately what's done is done and the judicial slap on the wrist will likely happen but without any punishment - she was a minor, and in any case it's the system that failed here, imprisoning a random man cause some 12 year old says something is what's wrong here.

Now who is warping someone's words. How about if someone fucking commits perjury they pay the penalty.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reqq View Post
    How about if there's clear evidence to suggest she's lied about the rape - then yeah, she should have the book thrown at her?
    I assume that perjury works the same way in the UK as it does in the US? At least enough to be similar in function?

---------- Post added 2012-11-24 at 03:13 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Haarvald View Post
    Now who is warping someone's words. How about if someone fucking commits perjury they pay the penalty.
    And how do you automatically identify perjury exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Supercoven View Post
    Just imagine what he went through in prison. Wouldn't take long for other inmates to find out he's in there for rape. btw op, he went to prison, not jail. two completely different animals.
    What's the difference? O_o Enlighten the non native. I googled it, and I understand that one is run by the state, the other by town sheriffs, but I believed those words are generally used as synonyms regardless?

Quote Originally Posted by Supercoven View Post
    Not just rape, rape of his daughter. She needs to be imprisoned, bullshit like this should not be tolerated in the least.

Now you're subjectively adding circumstances to change the conditions of what you just said.
    I was clarifying that I don't think a innocent verdict should send her to prison, but a counter investigation that she committed perjury should give her the same sentence that he would have faced.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    No one said it couldn't be done. It was just stated that it was a separate process altogether with its own bureaucratic nightmare.

And it is not the same in every state either

Quote Originally Posted by Reqq View Post
    At the very least she should be cited for filing a false report.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Not just rape, rape of his daughter. She needs to be imprisoned, bullshit like this should not be tolerated in the least.
    Justice dictates that she be subject to the laws of the land, the same law that everyone else in the US is subject to. The law does not support her imprisonment over this offense.

And how do you automatically identify perjury exactly?
    Apparently you wait until a silly time limit runs its course and then say "ohh yea, tee hee, I didn't mean it" because it no longer matters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently you wait until a silly time limit runs its course and then say "ohh yea, tee hee, I didn't mean it" because it no longer matters.
    I'd appreciate it if you gave a rational response to my question.