Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    I assume that perjury works the same way in the UK as it does in the US? At least enough to be similar in function?

---------- Post added 2012-11-24 at 03:13 AM ----------

And how do you automatically identify perjury exactly?
    Perhaps you should consult Websters, or Black's Law Dictionary if you are fuzzy on the definition of the word, and after you've learned the definition, perhaps you'll know how to identify it.

Justice dictates that she be subject to the laws of the land, the same law that everyone else in the US is subject to. The law does not support her imprisonment over this offense.
    The laws are severely flawed and should be revised for many situations outside of this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Coombs View Post
    Apparently you wait until a silly time limit runs its course and then say "ohh yea, tee hee, I didn't mean it" because it no longer matters.
    First off, there needs to be no statute of limitations for perjury.

10+ Year Old Account
    The laws are severely flawed and should be revised for many situations outside of this one.
    That may be. But even if they are flawed, they are still legitimate. If wishes were fishes..

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    What exactly is your reasoning for this? The main reasons for the statute of limitations' existence still apply to perjury.

Oh god no.

I'd appreciate it if you gave a rational response to my question.
    Question the person to see how often their story changes. Do a thorough investigation. A quick check of her genitalia would have solved this entire thing. Maybe it's harsh to do such an invasive inspection, but when something is as serious as this then it should be done despite the supposed fragility of one's current state.
    Last edited by Coombs; 2012-11-24 at 02:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirque View Post
    What's the difference? O_o Enlighten the non native. I googled it, and I understand that one is run by the state, the other by town sheriffs, but I believed those words are generally used as synonyms regardless?
    county jails tend to have 1-2 people to a cell with very limited interaction between inmates, where as general population in a state prison means he is easier accessable. Also, even in prison folks detest rapists and child molesters/rapists and they are often raped or beaten on a regular basis, unless of course they are in protective custody, which all by itself raises questions about 'why is so and so in protective custody, what did they do' And guards aren't always the most closed lipped about the offenses of inmates, so it doesn't take long for someone to find out what someone else is in for.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirque View Post
    What's the difference? O_o Enlighten the non native. I googled it, and I understand that one is run by the state, the other by town sheriffs, but I believed those words are generally used as synonyms regardless?
    Jail is more short term, usually for people who haven't been convicted yet or for people serving out a small bid, like less then a year. Prison is primarily for people convicted of more serious crimes. People who will serve a longer sentence. Some people who won't get out in a long time, some with no possibility for parole.

10+ Year Old Account
    If she testified, then at least perjury.

10+ Year Old Account
    Question the person to see how often their story changes. Do a thorough investigation. A quick check of her genitalia would have solved this entire thing. Maybe it's harsh to do such invasive inspection, but when something is as serious as this then it should be done despite the supposed fragility of one's current state.
    And if someone actually had been raped, and your actions do nothing but further damage the victim, what then? Its one of the reasons why rape cases are so tricky from a legal standpoint. And even going beyond that, what if her emotional state was such that she misses minor details due to the traumatic nature of the event? A skilled and aggressive lawyer can easily trip up the story of an emotionally compromised individual, even if the story is true, by hitting the trivialities.

Also, while I don't exactly like discussing the matter, its possible to rape someone without damaging her genitalia.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Oh god no.
    Why not? If they can prove you knowingly lied on the stand, they should be able to charge the shit out of you imo.

Deleted
    Im not sure how the US system works, but isnt there a statue of limitations?
    Eitherway, She was a child when she made that terrible accusation. Im not absolving her of blame, nor am i saying she shouldnt be punished. I believe the people who gave the go ahead of this case should be fired, sue'd and then for the daughter.

I think she should be ordered to carry out 9 years of restorative work, assisting falsely accused rape victims and male victims of domestic abuse. And also recieve counselling as to why she ruined a her fathers life, THEN she can see if they want to salvage anything of the tatters thats left of there relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by Haarvald View Post
    county jails tend to have 1-2 people to a cell with very limited interaction between inmates, where as general population in a state prison means he is easier accessable. Also, even in prison folks detest rapists and child molesters/rapists and they are often raped or beaten on a regular basis, unless of course they are in protective custody, which all by itself raises questions about 'why is so and so in protective custody, what did they do' And guards aren't always the most closed lipped about the offenses of inmates, so it doesn't take long for someone to find out what someone else is in for.
    ^ what he said. if you're a skinner, people will know it, you may as well ask for a transfer to pc where you'll be seperated from the population.

Why not? If they can prove you knowingly lied on the stand, they should be able to charge the shit out of you imo.
    You know why we have a statute of limitations right?

And if someone actually had been raped, and your actions do nothing but further damage the victim, what then? Its one of the reasons why rape cases are so tricky from a legal standpoint. And even going beyond that, what if her emotional state was such that she misses minor details due to the traumatic nature of the event? A skilled and aggressive lawyer can easily trip up the story of an emotionally compromised individual, even if the story is true, by hitting the trivialities.

Also, while I don't exactly like discussing the matter, its possible to rape someone without damaging her genitalia.
    So my question to you then, are you interested in 'justice' or not?

10+ Year Old Account
    So my question to you then, are you interested in 'justice' or not?
    If she is charged for harming her father, it is vengeance. If she is charged for breaking the law, it is justice. While this statement could not hold up against strict critical scrutiny as justice vs vengeance and oversimplifies the matter, in this specific incident it rings true.

A grown man cannot rape an underdeveloped child without damaging the hymen, unless it was a form of molestation not involving sex. A serious matter shouldn't be approached gently on one side and not the other. If they won't prosecutable evidence then such examination should be done. They don't need to be cruel when doing so, but they should be thorough. If the police did thorough questioning on more than one occasion it wouldn't make it to court for the lawyer to trip people up. If the evidence is sufficient, then it shouldn't matter what the lawyer does, even despite their career based on spinning bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    So you don't think anyone should be held accountable for this extreme miscarriage of justice? You think it's simply alright that the guy is out now?
    Anyone involved in the prosecution of this case should be investigated. It was they who dropped the ball and they are the ones who owe this man restitution for losing 9 years of his life.

A question to the "crucify her" crowd: What is an appropriate punishment for an 11 year old little girl who lies about being raped?

instead of protecting the criminal (the daughter).
    She would have had to have committed a crime to be a criminal.

As she was too young to be sworn in, she didn't commit perjury.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodon View Post
    Can you back that statement up somehow? Actually curious to see where you've got that information from.
    There was a link in the same post you quoted. Those statistics are not controversial and are not in question. Several organizations, both government and private report the same percentages. Research for yourself if you don't believe me.