Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Sheeeeeyyyyman almost every guild I've been in EU pronounces it like that xD

Not just a WoW word, but I always pronounce "reagent" like "regent". Developed early on as healing officer checking if people had them, was simply easier to leave out a syllable. Thankfully they just took that shit out of the game now for the most part.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/melee (has a link for the pronunciation)

If your specific area mispronounces a word, then that's a thing for your specific area. It has absolutely nothing to do with how the actual words are pronounced. The pronunciation of most words is not "pretty regional", it's just that some regions mispronounce some words completely.
    That's your opinion...

And as for the discussion on C'thun and C'thulhu:

Lovecraft transcribed the pronunciation of Cthulhu as "Khlûl'-hloo" (IPA: [ˈχɬʊl.ɬuː] ?). S. T. Joshi points out, however, that Lovecraft gave several differing pronunciations on different occasions. According to Lovecraft, this is merely the closest that the human vocal apparatus can come to reproducing the syllables of an alien language.

That is, the reason it's so hard to pronounce is because it is an alien name, not meant for the tongue of humans.
    Last edited by Tzalix; 2012-11-24 at 11:44 AM.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

Quote Originally Posted by velde046 View Post
    Have heard it both ways a lot fo times so not sure what the correct one is. It's for melee.

Some say: mel-ee and others proncounce it mel-ey or even mey-ley...

Myself not sure which one is good anymore. Probably one of the last two, but not sure.
    Pretty sure the bold one is correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cernunnos View Post
    Not sure if i am mispronouncing it but I have always pronounces Auchidoun as "ouch i don"
    mmm... alice razor (alysrazor) is supposed to be alysra-zor

also used to call vashj vaj ....but more because guildies did and for some reason we thought it was funny...

also used to say meelee instead of mey leh (melee) or is it meh lee, think that one just depends on where you're from.
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

Deleted
    Tir-is-fal Glades/Batling
    My pronunciation: "Trist-fal Glades/Batling"

I only started saying this correctly about 3 days ago when putting the Tirisfal Batling on the AH, I've no idea where I invented the extra 't' from, or why I missed the 'i' at the beginning all this time.

Also, classic ones I say that are probably just dialectically different:

Melee - "MEY-LEY"
    Shaman - "SHA-man"

10+ Year Old Account
    For the longest time I always pronounced reagent as "reejent" until I heard a NPC say it as "re-agent". A long time ago when I first started playing on a trial account in 2006 I pronounced Paladin as "pa-laydin" until my friend made fun of me and said it the correct way. Those are the only ones I can think of at the moment, I'm sure there are others but I don't feel like using my brain.

Edit: oh yeah I'm still not sure how to correctly pronounce Shaman. I always pronounced it as "SHA-min" but in other games I hear them say it as "SHAY-min". So I still pronounce Shaman with the "SHA".
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2012-11-24 at 02:11 PM.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

10+ Year Old Account
    my buddies and i would be on vent getting drunk and doing random bgs and after i killed someone, i /cackle at their dead body and over vent one time, i said "LOL I JUST MECHANICALLY LAUGHED AT THEM!!!" my buds were like, you laughed mechanically?! like ah-a-ah-a-ah-a-ah-a?! oh-ah-oh-ah-oh-ah-oh-ah?! you mean MANIACALLY!?!?

pretty embarrassing moment for me but something ill always remember. not sure why i always read it as mechanically...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzalix View Post
    That's your opinion...
    It's not an opinion. Language is a science, and science isn't an opinion. It can, and should be debated, of course. It will be revised when it's found to be incorrect, but it's never an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzalix View Post
    And as for the discussion on C'thun and C'thulhu:
    C'Thun's name is clearly a homage to Cthulhu (which isn't spelled with an apostrophe by the way). This much is obvious, and it would be pointless to claim otherwise. Thus, we can imagine C'Thun is also pronounced similarly to Cthulhu. What Lovecraft might have said about how Cthulhu is supposed to be pronounced is pretty much irrelevant, since the pronunciation of the homage is obviously based on the generally adopted pronunciation of the name Cthulhu. That is, when reading the text as English, "kth-oo-loo".

Hence you can basically think of the "Cth" in Cthulhu and the "C'Th" in C'Thun as the same single syllable "kth".

Thus, C'Thun is pronounced as "kth-oon".

It's not pronounced "seethune", it's not pronouced "kaythune" or "kathune". The first syllable has no vowels.

Quote Originally Posted by LuminousAether View Post
    Why... would you dislike China in general? Weird.

That said, it's pretty obvious how to pronounce Chinese words. Qiang would be similar to chang.
    Qiang.

Key-ang is approximately the way you should read it :-P

Deleted
    Thelsamar - Thesselmar
    Tranquillien - Tranquillin

Clearly I needed glasses at the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not an opinion. Language is a science, and science isn't an opinion. It can, and should be debated, of course. It will be revised when it's found to be incorrect, but it's never an opinion.
    And if you ask me, Americans pronounce most words wrong. That's an opinion.

If people in a specific country or region pronounce a word a certain way, it's not "wrong", it's their way of saying it. That's a fact.
    Last edited by Tzalix; 2012-11-24 at 07:58 PM.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

Drah-eh-ney

The first time I heard Dreh-nay I was like wtf!

:P

Quote Originally Posted by 7seti View Post
    Sko-lo-mance, as in "scholar".

Some of these are hilarious. Best one I've personally heard was "furblogs".
    I can't get the Furbolg right in my head so it will always be furblogs to me.

Deleted
    Wait wait what.

Alyrazor... has an S in it! Alysrazor. It's just wrong.

Aly-razor... no more

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh yeah, dreneigh/drayney too. Dran-eye is the proper term IIRC.

Deleted
    I know a guy who pronounces "subtlety" like "soob-taely". So hilarious.

C'Thun's name is clearly a homage to Cthulhu (which isn't spelled with an apostrophe by the way). This much is obvious, and it would be pointless to claim otherwise. Thus, we can imagine C'Thun is also pronounced similarly to Cthulhu. What Lovecraft might have said about how Cthulhu is supposed to be pronounced is pretty much irrelevant, since the pronunciation of the homage is obviously based on the generally adopted pronunciation of the name Cthulhu. That is, when reading the text as English, "kth-oo-loo".
    You call them "obvious", I call them assumptions.

I always thought acolyte was spelled (therefore pronounced) acoylte.

Quote Originally Posted by PetersenIII View Post
    No. Sho-lo-mance. Like Schmidtt.

EDIT:

I'm almost positive (though I could be imagining things) that I heard a segment of one of Tolkien's books read by the author and he pronounced it as you do. The other person is goofy. :comfort:
    No, it's Skolomance, like School.