• Yes

84 50.30%
  • No

83 49.70%
Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

should I buy Guildwars 2

now that the hype has passed I might actually buy Guildwars 2 at the end of the month and see what all the fuss was about but is it really worth the time and effort ? is the game REALLY any good

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    It depends on what you are after. For PvE then I would say no, its not quite up to par from that stand point. For PvP then I would say yes, that is the game's main focus along with jumping puzzles.

Disclaimer: My view is that of an outsider so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmatrix View Post
    It depends on what you are after. For PvE then I would say no, its not quite up to par from that stand point. For PvP then I would say yes, that is the game's main focus along with jumping puzzles.

Disclaimer: My view is that of an outsider so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
    How can you comment on something that you didn't play?

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Try a trial will ya?

Deleted
    You cant give an advice on something you dont try first hand. Just take a look at ZombieU reviews.

10+ Year Old Account
    yes.
    worth the money.

Deleted
    i play mostly pve and with the new patch there are many things to do with the fractals of the mist (a new dungeon, where so called "fractals" aka minidungeons have to be completed to increase in the Dungeon-Level (the dungeon scales up in difficulty the more fractals you do-->the higher the level-->more and better loot). still the old dungeons are quite fun and rewarding, except some "special" explo modes :P (but imo they need still a better tuning because fractals actually are more rewarding).

so its not true that there is no pve content at all. haters gonna hate.
    and the game is really worth the money even when you just get one character to 80, because the leveling is just awesome here (one suggestion: dont rush the content to 80...take your time, explore the map and wait a minute after an event was finished, maybe there are more events coming, which lead to a cool endboss or something. many players just dont see all of it because they rush everything and then complain "*hurr* events so random here, no fun at all *derp*").

well thats my opinion of the game as a 90% pve player.
    Last edited by mmocd0d6facb98; 2012-11-23 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmatrix View Post

Don't listen to this guy. He said he hasn't played the game and for some reason he thinks PVP and jumping puzzles are the main aspects of the game. The game is amazing for PVE, I would say (at least leveling up as I haven't gotten max yet) it has the best PVE of any MMO. Even what little I've played I easily got my monies worth.

I haven't had much time to play lately so I don't know how the servers are, but even if you have to skip quests because nobody is around I would still say it's better than any MMO for the price (One time payment versus monthly subscriptions).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Because he's just giving general advice, you don't need to have played the game to know that.

And as always these kinds of threads really makes no sense, we can't possibly know if he'll like gw2 or not.

GW2 IS a good game if you are into the type of gameplay it provides, but how can we know!
    That's about the dumbest thing i've heard/read today ...

OT: I play this game mainly for PvE. The leveling experience if really great. At max level i have plenty things to do aswell. As long as you don't buy the game for raiding the PvE side is really good aswell. Bit more action RPG then your usual static combat tho
    Warrior, getting my face smashed in because I love it

"The Perfect Raid Design Drawn by me .

Yes! buy it!
    but really you should buy it's worth it, I played during the beta weekends and honestly? it's wroth it, played for a while with the real thing now and honestly i think i'm level 15 or something I enjoy it so much :3

Easily worth the money. A no brainer.

Deleted
    It's worth it.
    You'll get tens of hours of solid entertainment before you even set foot in a dungeon or pvp.

The things that are "missing" also help make the community nicer (no inspect, no dmgmeters, no competition for mobs or resources).

Most of the content is very solo-friendly, you can challenge yourself by soloing group quests if you want, not all of them need a group
    (generally speaking "veteran" enemy = manageable with intelligent play, "champion" enemy = needs a group)

I haven't had an issue finding groups or filling my friend list playing EU hours on a medium population server.
    It's easy to run into someone trying a group event, help them, tag along for a bit, make a party and add each other at the end.

I'm not max level yet but I'd consider my money well spent even if I stopped right now.
    The "no trinity" idea also extends to the archetypes melee-ranged-caster, none of those are pures,
    I like to play melee in most my games, but in GW2 trying to play pure-melee is rather punishing,
    you got to be flexible with your ranges regardless if you're a warrior or a ranger.

I found the learning curve related to that flexibility in playstyle also refreshing
    (it's not an "coin-op arcade hard" game by any stretch but has enough depth to keep you interested)

That's my take on it sofar.

If you are expecting WoW 2.0 with trinity and hardcore PvE, then no.

If you like exploring, PvP and cool dungeons, then yes. Has no monthly sub so can just log whenever.

I think my max level is 22, 23. Considering I don't have to pay a subscription fee, I don't feel "guilty" for not logging in every day and pushing those levels. It's relaxing, in a way. And I'd say I'll get a great deal more than 4 months of enjoyment out of the game.

I've been enjoying PvE, crafting, exploring, chasing events, discovering things on alts that my main might have missed.

So far, so good for me. My husband played the very limited trial and he later told me he enjoyed it a lot more than he's enjoyed our subscription game. He admits that part of that is likely due to just experiencing something new, so he's more locked in and focused about things, and that's where a lot of the enjoyment comes from... even so, I'd say the one time game-purchase-fee is worth it.

Unless you like to grind to max level ASAP because that's where the game MUST begin - in that case, I'd probably GW2 isn't for you. What I've heard is GW2 is about leveling, but max level and PvP aren't quite where fans of that gameplay would like it to be.

EDIT: I'll add that the in game players seem a lot more friendly than I'm accustomed to in MMOs in general these days. And it was kind of mind boggling to watch a herd of bots chasing around an event area wearing no clothing. I do hope they do something about the bots. <_< That said, the bots haven't had much of an effect on me as I'm not participating in the economy at all so far, but they're bots and need to be dealt with.
    Last edited by Chirri; 2012-11-23 at 02:36 PM.

I love the game, but I voted "no" because you had to ask and I don't like people with your kind of mentality, so stay away from my game.

No, it's boring as hell and you've got nothing to do after you reach max level except grind and shit PvP.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would say yes just for the levelling experience, the game grows stale before max level, but it's great fun at first.

I recommend any game I had fun in at one point, it doesn't have lasting appeal though, but it doesn't require a monthly fee and it certainly gave me more playtime than a single player game.

A no brainer, even if you don't like it, it does not have a sub fee. I barely play it anymore but i have already put over 200 hours into it easily... And i would call that pretty good for a game (Heck think about most single player games with the same price).

10+ Year Old Account
    Guild Wars 2 has a lot going for it. I paid $60 for it but it sadly didn't hold my interest.

I thought I was ready for an MMO experience without a major form of endgame PvE progression (in the form of a gear grind and raiding), I was not.
    I thought I might actually get into PvP, as that is the biggest things GW2 has going for it, I did not (at all).

The art style, graphics, and music are excellent. The combat is fun, but can get a little stale at times. Changing weapon sets helps with that.

I figured I would be able to enjoy GW2 by leveling characters and checking out the personal stories. While the stories aren't stellar, the decisions you make both in the character creating process and during the quests themselves effect it, and it really does feel like you're own story, until all story points converge about halfway through the leveling process that is. What I found annoying though, is that if you want to simply start a character and play straight through the personal story without stopping (like a single play RPG), you really can't. Sometimes the next portion of your story will be too high level for you, and level requirements should be adhered to in this game. Mobs a few levels higher than you can really cream you, and if you're dealing more than a couple at once you'll probably die. So in order to continue the story, you have to go grind not only the heart content in your own zone but sometimes in the other races zones, as well as explore the map and craft or whatever for XP. Grinding mobs gives almost no XP. You have to do something to get XP. Doing PvP grants XP too, but I couldn't be bothered to do so (that's my choice).

It's all dependent on what type of game you want to play. Don't take my word for it. Try the trial.

Deleted
    The combat is very VERY simplified. If you don't mind having lack of buttons to press and a lot of waiting then GW2 might work for you.
    The scenery and graphics were good (not amazing, but okay) but the gameplay just didn't do it for me. Its a shame because I was really looking forward to it, it just didn't feel complete.