Voters
167. This poll is closed
  • Yes

84 50.30%
  • No

83 49.70%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    It just depends on what you are looking for in an mmo.

I personally don't play it nearly as much as I used to but that's ok to take breaks in this game, it was designed for that. I'd say yes to get the game (if you do get it, buy it today due to the black friday sales, can get it at about 30% cheaper) but it really just depends on your preferences.

I seriously enjoyed it. I hate leveling, but I loved it in Guild Wars. It never felt like a chore. PvP was fun, class balance didn't seem too wonky, and the world is amazing. I found the amount of detail poured into every zone I visited staggering. I would suggest it to any of my friends.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    I voted YES!

Reason - I play that hamster wheel game - World of Warcraft - Don't get addicted to WoW - Try GW2 Babi

-Your Tank
    --Dac

Deleted
    I don't know, because I can't read your mind to see what you like. So I'm going to vote yes/no, because I'm biased towards/against the game because I like/hate it.

Does this answer suit you?

That's the whole deal, we don't know what you like so we can't tell you if you'd like it or not.
    Last edited by mmoc994dcc48c2; 2012-11-23 at 06:07 PM.

Deleted
    GW2 was fun...for about 2 hours.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Jim View Post
    GW2 was fun...for about 2 hours.
    You must hate all other MMOs then, since in the first 2 hours all are even more boring.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    You must hate all other MMOs then, since in the first 2 hours all are even more boring.
    Not really. I loved the 1st 2 hours of rift and tera. GW2's 1st hours were like those in an MMO but a lot emptier, character models were glitchy as hell, running animations were horrible and the gear looked like shit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    How often are people paying for content patches every month in major MMOs?

I don't really understand this at all. What you really mean to say is there is no monthly sub fee in GW2. Which is true but you basically listed "no sub fee" & "no sub fee" as bulletpoints twice.

@OP
    No one can decide what topping you want on your pizza but you.

Guild Wars 2 is heavily reported on, tons of information outlets around and lots of existing opinion threads here and elsewhere. $60, one time fee. It's easy enough to see what the game is about on the old interwebs.

You found time to write a response, yet no valid information or input that the OP is looking for?

OT: I have bought the game and I would do it again. As previously mentioned, the leveling up is quite enjoyable and it's not a big "rush" to get to the end-game content. Not for me at least. There's world puzzles, jumping and irritating failures involved. I haven't tried all the classes, but I've really been enjoying my Elementalist and Guardian a bit too much to have time to spare on the other classes :P

You don't have to feel like you need to play a certain amount of time to get "value" for a monthly fee, like I kind of did with WoW and Rift. If you still feel hesitant, google some information about the gameplay, end-game, classes or what-ever. There's also a lot of youtube videos available to watch.

Deleted
    I recently bought GW2 and I must say it was well worth my money. I had a lot of fun leveling, which I never have in any MMO besides Star Wars: the Old Republic, so I didn't feel rushed to get to max level. This also had to do by the amazing world you are leveling up in. Every single part of the world felt hand crafted and looks great, so exploring was also a lot of fun and rewarding.

Even though the end-game PvE is really lacking, PvP and World vs World(open world PvP) is a lot of fun and can keep you busy for quite some time. Also the fact that you pay no subscription fees is a big thing for me. I can play an entire week, get bored with it and take a break, or once a week and do not have to pay for 30 days.

Other than that, all I can advise you is to read some reviews, watch some gamplay, and decide if it is worth your money.
    Last edited by mmoc9bca5565b2; 2012-11-23 at 06:20 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Manekk View Post
    Oh boy, sounds like you should have asked someone for some good advice along the way so many things wrong here...

You can help friends in their personal story quest, don't need to repair pvp gear but I assume you are talking about WvsW wich is practically the easiest place to make money unless of course you have a 1man zerg and think that will work, as for waiting for events to finish because the questgiver is busy? huh? you can more times than not complete the heart quest during the event much faster than otherwise, and you don't need to repair everytime you die either sounds like you died alot and ported constantly no wonder you went broke you must have noticed that you were doing something wrong somewhere along the way though surely...
    asked many people, who had the same problems.
    and yes, I meant WvsW, and as I only used that from time to time, I had no pvp gear, just my normal stuff. also it was no zerk fest.
    no, I didn't repait each time I dies, only when things were completely destroyed.
    no, my friends couldn't join me in my personal quest, we tried several times and it didn't work. the first time someone could join me was because he was on the same quest.
    I didn't use ports after a few levels because I considered them too expensive and refused to pay that price.

also when I (or my friends and me) started (at release) the economy on the realm was nearly non-existent, no chance on selling things on the trading company, and all the money we had went into repairing our equipment.
    there were many bugs (like for the second dungeon where it took us about 4 hours to get the whole group into the same version of the dungeon) which just sucked and made the game even worse.

I have no problem with people liking the game, I just know I'll never play it again and my friends won't do so either.

edit:
    just to let you know, that's my experience and the experience of my friends. if you like the game, play it. but please don't try to change my opinion
    Last edited by mmoc6758ac0f09; 2012-11-23 at 06:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    How often are people paying for content patches every month in major MMOs?

I don't really understand this at all. What you really mean to say is there is no monthly sub fee in GW2. Which is true but you basically listed "no sub fee" & "no sub fee" as bulletpoints twice.
    Ok, let me rephrase.
    There is no sub fee however this does not mean there are no content patches. We are getting new content patches every month.

Fencers, I understand that you play a lot of Rift and I've heard they are very good at delivering content, but not all sub based MMOs deliver. So you can find yourself in a situation where you are paying a sub fee and not recieving any content for 10 months at a time in (a) certain game(s).

Better?
    Valar morghulis

The "AMG NO! GAME IS TURIBL!!" butthurt posts in this thread are very amusing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    The "AMG NO! GAME IS TURIBL!!" butthurt posts in this thread are very amusing.
    because people are not allowed to have their own opinions, if they are negative?

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Ok, let me rephrase.
    There is no sub fee however this does not mean there are no content patches. We are getting new content patches every month.
    :thumbsup:

but not all sub based MMOs deliver. So you can find yourself in a situation where you are paying a sub fee and not recieving any content for 10 months at a time in (a) certain game(s).
    I dunno. Looking at Tera and Secret World websites right now and both have kept up pretty well in patches. Seems like the a couple of delays for new stuff of about 1 1/2 month. Give or take.

Not too shabby.

GW2 is newer than either game so comparatively all 3 seem right on track in value for $.

It's like SWTOR is only major MMO ripping off subscribers...

I like to be fair but if it comes off as pedantic, sincere apology. I am a emotionless robot.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmatrix View Post
    It depends on what you are after. For PvE then I would say no, its not quite up to par from that stand point. For PvP then I would say yes, that is the game's main focus along with jumping puzzles.

Disclaimer: My view is that of an outsider so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
    That is why hes wrong, gw2 is pve oriented. PvP is just made with wise decisions.

The story and leveling of gw2 is what its all about. And the story continues in patches, your personal storyline that is.

PvP battlegrounds is made well so everyone is equal except in skill, and WvWvW is just pure war the kind no other mmo has yet to accomplish.... o wait, planetside 2 which was released 2 days ago managed to do quite well on it (fps mmo, massive fights in a world without pve, pure pvp game and its completely free to play).

pvp in gw2 is simple, so its not that pvp oriented game because they dont need to hussle so much about it because its more balanced than wow. Gear differences distort world of warcrafts pvp, when gw2 doesnt have that issue at all...cept in WvWvW but thats big war anyway.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Jim View Post
    Not really. I loved the 1st 2 hours of rift and tera. GW2's 1st hours were like those in an MMO but a lot emptier, character models were glitchy as hell, running animations were horrible and the gear looked like shit.
    Hmm you must have been playing an entirely different game then as I've experienced none of these things... But to each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaiara View Post
    because people are not allowed to have their own opinions, if they are negative?
    Sure can, as long as they don't present those opinions as solid fact while dismissing the existence of anything positive that's fine and a healthy argument.

On topic: if you like mmorpgs then this is great value for your money. I've gotten more hours out of GW2 than Skyrim (and I've played that for a long time), in fact im still enjoying it on a nearly daily basis. Maybe try it out at a friends house if possible so you can see how it plays.

It is Fun for about 25 Hours so its worth the Money. But be sure that there is not much Content, after that this Game is boring, really.
    The Game has simply not any good PvE Content, so if you are a PvE Gamer, dont buy it.

Deleted
    I got over 400 hours played for £30 and anticipate still enjoying new content and holiday events (although only playing a few hours/week now), the holiday event we've had so far (halloween) far exceeded my expectations and I'm looking forward to the christmas one. I also made 3 good friends that I keep in contact with outside of GW2... I'd say it was definitely worth the money, and my time and I'm still planning to have some fun with it. If there was a sub system I may not consider the monthly hours I play now worth a continued subscription, but without it... I say, buy it

10+ Year Old Account
    I bought GW2 and I liked it, feel I got my money's worth out of it, but I don't know how many people are out in the world at this time levelling up from 0, so without that, I don't see the world being too live for PvE - regardless of the fact that you get downscaled when venturing out in the world

Also, the dungeons are dumb as it's every man for himself which makes for a limited game experience. (my opinion, of course)

Quote Originally Posted by Nokami View Post
    It is Fun for about 25 Hours so its worth the Money. But be sure that there is not much Content, after that this Game is boring, really.
    The Game has simply not any good PvE Content, so if you are a PvE Gamer, dont buy it.
    Game seems to have plenty of PVE to me. Now if you said it doesn't have any raiding so if you enjoy raids then don't buy it, well that's certainly valid.